Voyager quest: tutorial

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I didnt understand, i know how to build a voyager because i did a grand tour mission before, but i dont understand the marks
I had the same problem, so i just recorded the video of entire mission. It is much more convenient than distracting from the game all the time for making screenshots. And eliminates all the time spent at screenshots at all.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I didnt understand, i know how to build a voyager because i did a grand tour mission before, but i dont understand the marks
Also, I forgot, since you play with the Steam version, if you use the VanillaUpgrades mod you can simply show that your interplanetary trajectory has an eccentricity which is strictly greater than 1.0. That's an alternative we've introduced since we officially allowed mods in challenges recently, it will make your life easier.

BGnoname

Man on the Moon
Registered
It means that you must show your speed at a certain distance from the Sun. For example, the first mark is at 11,360,000 km, your speed must be of at least 7250 m/s at that stage. In my example, I proved it by showing this screenshot:
View attachment 99442
This is to ensure you're actually on an escape trajectory. Below that speed you would "just" be on a very elongated ellipse.
Ok Thanks

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
The purpose is not to make an accurate recreation. The challenge is to be able to send a probe of a given mass (25 tons) out of the solar system. So you have to use the supplied probe for the challenge, you can't use a custom one.

ASC

Floater
Man on the Moon
Registered
The purpose is not to make an accurate recreation. The challenge is to be able to send a probe of a given mass (25 tons) out of the solar system. So you have to use the supplied probe for the challenge, you can't use a custom one.
absolutely. supplied probes is only allowed.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
I used the tips you showed and I still get a high(very high) solar orbit. Any other tips?
The "tips" are sufficient, the issue is more likely that you could be doing something better... If you show us how you're doing it we may be able to provide specific help.

ILovespace3

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Alright, it's been a month since Mooncrasher replied to me, so here's the photos from my most recent botched mission.

Screenshot_20230614-192759.png

Screenshot_20230614-192928.png

Screenshot_20230614-193312.png

Screenshot_20230614-194219.png

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
It's been a little while, has anyone seen this?
Oh yeah, sorry, forgot to answer!

The launcher looks good, I recreated it and tested it, it largely did the job:
Spaceflight Simulator_2023-06-20-18-39-58.jpg Spaceflight Simulator_2023-06-20-18-32-55.jpg Spaceflight Simulator_2023-06-20-18-37-50.jpg Spaceflight Simulator_2023-06-20-18-39-23.jpg

It depends on how you computed your staging sequence though, in particular for the second stage. In this case, after the first stage separation, I only ignited the 2 side stages and left the central core turned off. Then once the side stages were empty I separated them and turned on the central core.

Apart from that it's a good launcher, the only change I would make is that I would assemble the first row of boosters with the central stage, to make a single first stage. Your rocket lacks a little of punch after the boosters are dropped, this will fix the problem and make your staging sequence simpler.

If you still fail the problem might be your flight technique, there should be a way to optimize your trajectory. That should work however.

ILovespace3

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Oh yeah, sorry, forgot to answer!

The launcher looks good, I recreated it and tested it, it largely did the job:
View attachment 104430 View attachment 104431 View attachment 104432 View attachment 104433

It depends on how you computed your staging sequence though, in particular for the second stage. In this case, after the first stage separation, I only ignited the 2 side stages and left the central core turned off. Then once the side stages were empty I separated them and turned on the central core.

Apart from that it's a good launcher, the only change I would make is that I would assemble the first row of boosters with the central stage, to make a single first stage. Your rocket lacks a little of punch after the boosters are dropped, this will fix the problem and make your staging sequence simpler.

If you still fail the problem might be your flight technique, there should be a way to optimize your trajectory. That should work however.
I do something similar. I use all three engines to get to orbit, then I shut the middle down and use the two engines to start my burn to get out of the solar system. Then, I turn on the middle one once the side ones are out of fuel. Also, with the idea of making the boosters officially part of the first stage, that suggestion may turn this whole thing around. I'll try it later.

P.S. I'll ping you when I get it right, be on the lookout for a notification that says I pinged you ;)