Wanderer (Ranked)

Junipurr

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
No, I am not an Admin here... Yes, this is a time consuming challenge... WIP...

The Wanderer Epic Challenge, is to send one Capsule, to land on every Solid Body in Vanilla, and return to Earth Safely.

Suggested order: Moon, Venus, Mercury, Mars, Phobos, Deimos, Io, Europa, Ganymede, Callisto, and Earth.

Refuelling, Docking and Assembly on the ground, or in space is allowed at any point in the solar system. You are limited to three Blueprints, and your final score, is the total Tonnage launched into orbit from Earth, to complete the challenge. Ie. BP1 is 2000 Tons times 1 launch is 2000 Tons, BP2 is 3000 Tons times 6 launches, is 18000 Tons, BP3 is 2500 Tons times 3 Launches is 7500 Tons, makes a grand total of 27500 Tons Launched. The less total mass launched, the higher your ranking for bragging rights. You may not launch more than one Capsule, must start with a fresh world, and regularly use the Clear Debris Button (so screenshots don't become cluttered.)

Each BP should have several stages and modules, including different types of Landers, Transfer tanks, and of course Launch stages. BP1 should have your Capsule, BP2 and BP3 should have at least one Satellite for remote control, although you may want to launch multiple Satellites each time. BP1 or BP2 may have modules for a LEO Space Station, although there is no limit on how many Space Stations you place to complete the challenge with high efficiency. Using a reusable shuttle may be an advantage, because launching it each successive time does not count towards mass launched. Consumables, like Fuel, Parachutes, Heat Shields, Satellites, used to replenish a shuttle will count towards total mass launched. Including a shuttle will make this more of a challenge, since you are restricted to three BP. Crawlers and Towers used to replenish a Shuttle, will only have their empty weight counted towards the total mass once.

Ideally you should have already completed Team Hawk, although that is not necessary. Before attempting this challenge, I recommend having done Venus return at least once, Mercury Return, and can put 600 Tons (400 Tons without Expansion Packs,) of Payload into LEO in one launch. Some legs of the journey require very little fuel, Ie. Earth-Moon. Other legs require substantial amounts of fuel, ie. Venus-Mercury. Therefore design BP which allow flexibility in your interplanetary Cruiser design. You should try to make use of the Oberth effect, the VEEGA slingshot, and any other slingshots which save fuel, although they are not essential for completing the challenge.

Typically a Cruiser has one or more Fuel Tank Modules for the First Transfer burn, a Lander with your capsule module docked, and a Satellite with one or more Tank Modules for the Second and/or Third Transfer burn. With the latest update including Heat Shields, designing versatile landers with or without Heat Shields, and detachable Umbrella Stabalisers, and different number of stages, customised for each body visited, is suggested to get decent efficiency and save fuel in Transferring payloads between destinations. Aerodynamic braking over Venus, Mars and Jupiter are suggested, but not essential. Use Quicksave often especially before doing Aerodynamic braking. Rovers, and Rover wheels are discouraged, except for replenishment of a Shuttle with a Crawler.

Landers typically have one to four stages, Satellites typically have one to three stages, Cruisers typically have six to ten modules, and Space Stations typically have four to a dozen modules. BP typically have two or three launch stages, and a Payload of a dozen modules. Without Expansion packs, smaller BP might have only a handful of Payload modules.

Reusing parts of your Landers is not required, but may make your epic journey more efficient. My aim is to not only to pose an epic challenge, but setup a leader board for each person completing the challenge, which you can attempt as many times as you like. No cheats allowed, standard solar system, expansion packs allowed, infinite space allowed, no parts clipping, no engine stretching, no engine clipping, BP editting is otherwise allowed, and stretched parts are allowed. Ion drives are allowed, but transfer burns should have at least two Frontier Engines or two Valiant Engines, to make this challenge less laborious. The first stage of all Launches must use either Titan or Hawk Engines, for similar reasons. Shuttles and Crawlers can use any engine type. Satellite Modules do not require Engines, but they do require at least two RCS and at least one Solar Panel. There are no restrictions on what constitutes a Space Station.

Please don't post screenshots unless you have completed the challenge. The minimum Screenshots required (which will require multiple posts,) include the three Blueprints used (showing Tonnage,) Landings on each of the Ten solid bodies, each Space Station Assembled (once at any stage of the challenge), each Cruiser assembled (before or during first main interplanetary Transfer burn,) and the final mission log at the end (multiple pages.) If you use a Reusable Shuttle, please also add screenshots of each landing back on Earth, and just before the next launch. You should also detail in text, how many of each BP were launched, and a rough idea of how each Cruiser/Shuttle was assembled, on the ground, and/or in space. I am more interested in tracking each modules journey, to verify total number of launches, since this is critical to prevent cheating. Ideally you should name each Lander, Satellite and Cruiser for clarity, but it is not essential. Damaged parts, crashes and explosions are all allowed, as long as the original Capsule returns to Earth Safely.

I will be posting an example, from an older version of the game, until I complete the challenge with this set of rules myself. I will also post three sample BP screenshots which conform to this set of rules, which you can re-create or use as inspiration for your own design. This challenge has been setup to allow both Free To Play and Veterans to attempt, with no clear advantage either way. You can either launch several small payloads, or launch a few really big payloads.

Ranked Leaderboard:

Legendary Wanderers (less than 20000 Tons, or Reusable Shuttle utilised):
1. Nil.

Accomplished Wanderers (20001-30000 Tons):
2. Nil.

Passing Wanderers (30001+ Tons):
3. Nil.

Last edited:

Marmilo

Retired Staff / Scale Inspector
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
Ooooh I gotta do this thing

Junipurr

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
I will be posting an example, from an older version of the game, until I complete the challenge with this set of rules myself.
BP1: three stage Launch, Command Module (Orange,) and Tanker Module (White.)
Command Module = Capsule Module (Grey) + Light Lander Module (Orange.)

BP2: three stage Launch, and Tanker Module(White.)

BP3: two stage Launch, "Carrier" Module(Grey,) Heavy Lander Modules (Orange,) Auxiliary Tanks (White.)

Light Lander = just the Command Module. Used for Moon, Phobos and Deimos.

Heavy Lander = Command Module + a pair of Heavy Lander Modules, assembled in space. Used for Venus, Mercury, Mars, Io, Europa, Ganymede and Callisto.

No Shuttle, No Space Stations. Oberth and VEEGA not used.

All Cruisers and "Carriers" assembled in Lunar High Orbit, or merged in SOI of relevant planets.

Cruiser 1 = BP1 + BP2, Earth-Moon-Venus

Cruiser 2 = BP2 + BP3, Moon-Venus-Mercury

Heavy Lander 1: Venus

Cruiser 3 = BP2 + BP3, Moon-Mercury-Mars

Heavy Lander 2: Mercury, Mars and Io

Cruiser 4 = 3xBP2, Moon-Mars-Io

"Carrier" 1 = 4xBP2 + BP3, Moon-Io-Europa-Ganymede

Heavy Lander 3: Europa and Ganymede

"Carrier" 2 = 2xBP2 + BP3, Moon-Ganymede-Callisto-Earth

Heavy Lander 4: Callisto

Total:
BP1 times 1
BP2 times 12
BP3 times 4

Total Launch Mass: 17 × ~3000 Tons = 54000 Tons.

2020-12-04 14.28.19.png

2020-12-04 14.26.46.png

2020-12-04 14.29.39.png

2020-12-04 14.30.42.png

2020-12-04 14.32.25.png

Junipurr

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
I will also post three sample BP screenshots which conform to this set of rules, which you can re-create or use as inspiration for your own design.
The bottom half is pretty much identical, two stage launch, and a Tanker Module.
Screenshot_20211230-071526_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

BP1
Parachute Module, Capsule Module, Light Lander Module, Small Cruiser Core, Aux Fuel, and Space Station.
Screenshot_20211230-071552_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

BP2
Tiny Tug, Medium Lander Module, Large Cruiser Core, and Space Station.
Screenshot_20211230-071635_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

BP3
Stability Umbrella, two stage Heavy Lander with Heat Shield, and Medium Cruiser Core with Heat Shield.
Screenshot_20211230-071655_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Woah, big challenge!

I already made a Grand Tour long ago, by using gravity assists like crazy, I only needed one blueprint and no ion engine. But it needed several weeks to plan such a trip o_O

This is interesting but I'm not sure I'll have the time for this.

Junipurr

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Woah, big challenge!

I already made a Grand Tour long ago, by using gravity assists like crazy, I only needed one blueprint and no ion engine. But it needed several weeks to plan such a trip o_O

This is interesting but I'm not sure I'll have the time for this.
After reading your and Blazer's Guide, I thought about it for a long time. With the Frontier Engines on the Transfer, and the new 2x Physics Timewarp, the worst part is now Aerodynamic braking. Granted if you have endless time, Full Gravity Assist renders this ranking system meaningless.

Junipurr

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Wait, your Grand Tour was flybys, or Landings? Because the Sum of the Escape velocities for all eleven solid bodies is insane? 11km/s for low orbit and back without aerodynamics.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Wait, your Grand Tour was flybys, or Landings? Because the Sum of the Escape velocities for all eleven solid bodies is insane? 11km/s for low orbit and back without aerodynamics.
I landed on all bodies. It's here if you want to check it: The Grand Tour!
By far my craziest mission until now o_O

Marmilo

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
Landings. Altair is cracked

Marmilo

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
I feel sad, the concept of my challenge, seems irrelevant compared to his awesomeness.
Dw, I think Altair has been the only person so far to achieve the ultimate grand tour.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Dw, I think Altair has been the only person so far to achieve the ultimate grand tour.
I remember Blazer did it too, and maybe other people. I did it with a single launch and no ions, but if you allow multiple launches, refueling and everything it's long but not so hard.

I feel sad, the concept of my challenge, seems irrelevant compared to his awesomeness.
Thanks for the compliment :)
It's interesting in itself, but to me the problem is rather that people are generally not interested in such epic challenges. Some simple challenges are more successful, and even in this case it's rare that somebody else than the original poster tries the challenge.

Junipurr

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Is there like anyway to keep track of the year since launch, other than counting the rotations of the earth?

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Is there like anyway to keep track of the year since launch, other than counting the rotations of the earth?
Yes, by opening the quicksave. There's a variable which is an absolute time, in seconds. By checking this variable at launch and at the end of mission you can get the full mission duration.
It's been long I haven't opened a qks file, but that was quite easy to find, in the very beginning of the file.

Junipurr

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Yes, by opening the quicksave. There's a variable which is an absolute time, in seconds. By checking this variable at launch and at the end of mission you can get the full mission duration.
It's been long I haven't opened a qks file, but that was quite easy to find, in the very beginning of the file.
Nice, but this means I need to root enable my new tablet. 8.(

Marmilo

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
I remember Blazer did it too, and maybe other people. I did it with a single launch and no ions, but if you allow multiple launches, refueling and everything it's long but not so hard.
By ultimate i meant single launch and no ions

Mooncrasher

Reading LOTR lore
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Nice, but this means I need to root enable my new tablet. 8.(
Are you sure about that? Opening SFS files merely requires a suitable file manager on Android.
(I'm assuming Android because you said "root".)

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Some simple challenges are more successful, and even in this case it's rare that somebody else than the original poster tries the challenge
Hey it's simple to drive around :p

put meh on mental asylum

Junipurr

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Are you sure about that? Opening SFS files merely requires a suitable file manager on Android.
(I'm assuming Android because you said "root".)
You are right, I got a decent file manager and presto.

It's interesting in itself, but to me the problem is rather that people are generally not interested in such epic challenges. Some simple challenges are more successful, and even in this case it's rare that somebody else than the original poster tries the challenge.
I am looking at changing the rules, once I get some stuff sorted, to make it into a different kind of Challenge. One thing I am looking at, is changing the ranking from by Weight, to by Mission Time. Ie, no Astronaut is going to survive a 100 year journey.

Looking into the possibility of making mandatory, at least one part of the Launch System reusable, possibly requiring a second Capsule to log its progress in the background.

Searching for a way of making this less time consuming for upcoming players? Doing much of the mission planning, and posting it as a spreadsheet? Providing BP.txt files? Making Aerodynamic Breaking on Cruisers banned, so you have to do De-Transition the traditional way? Making VEEGA banned, and overt Gravity Assist banned so Direct Travel is less play time?

Not trying to belittle your epic achievements, but I am trying to justify my play style, especially since Heat Shields made it a little bit more difficult. I suspect that SFS suffers the usual sandbox, too east to cheat, vs an epic challenge worth spending time on. There are idle games out there, which would require 9 months of 12hrs a day, to even get to the competitive stage. The second no clipping update this week, has made things more difficult for my old designs too, including the one above I posted a few days ago, which would simply explode on the launch pad now.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Yes, mission planning is a big part of the mission, but that's a general problem: as soon as you try to be more ambitious, this can't be easily avoided. I like it myself, but at that stage you have to have an elitist playstyle.

It's true that I generally don't care myself about the mission duration but this is relevant yes. However with those considerations gravity assist could still be useful for non-crewed parts: you could send a refuel station to Mercury through an efficient route prior to the mission, then the crewed capsule goes there through a direct burn and finds everything it needs there. That way the fuel needed to land and return can be sent efficiently without forcing the crew to wait for a long time.

But at that stage, making a challenge accessible is... a challenge in itself o_O
I remember, back in 2018, there was the RATS challenge (Race Around The System), it was a timed challenge, you had to land on all bodies and come back to Earth as fast as possible. But "timed" meant you had to be quick in real time, not ingame time. And in a game in which you often have to perform some precision maneuvers (landing, docking), that's really a crazy idea. Despite this being a community-wide challenge, I was the only crazy enough to complete it. :p

Junipurr

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Challenge Accessibility Wise...

RATS is definitely an elite skill, My piloting is bad, my reflexes and planning skills are shot, I wouldn't try it.

Sending Non-Crewed Refuelling Stations ahead of the Crewed Mission, is a big part of making this Challenge interesting I think, however slower devices tend to hang when there are many rockets in the simulation. Especially in the same SOI.

Launching the Refuelling missions before the crewed mission, I think defeats the purpose of a timed challenge, using gravity assist or not. Then again, planning a Just In Time approach, will just complicate mission planning, and reduce Accessibility. Sad Face.

Making Reusable Mandatory is going to reduce the Accessibility, especially since my new Shuttle Design explodes, if I turn too quickly, due to engine exhaust crossing back over a different engine's flight path. I wanted to add this, to make re-entry an important parameter of the challenge, but so hard. Even my new Crawler blows itself up if I put more than 21% throttle on.

Pre-defined Mission Planning I think is a go, The Moon is already aligned with your first launch. Venus alignment is 1.4 years after starting a new Vanilla World. VEEGA takes three to five years, plus the 25 years to reach Jupiter? Mars-Jupiter is about 20 years depending on where Mars is when you leave? Earth-Mars window is about every three years? Earth-Mercury, Venus-Mercury, and Mercury-Mars windows are multiple times a year.

What this adds up to for Accessibilities sake, is simulated time as the measurement. Refuelling missions Launched after Crewed Mission, although Planning for them to arrive before the crew. No VEEGA. Gravity Assist allowed, but not recommended. No finicky re-useable anything. Minimise Docking with Refuelling points. Lots of Single use Heat Shields. Very inefficient fat rockets, and flight paths that waste a lot of fuel.

I am not sure how representative this is of real life anymore? Maybe a more realistic approach, is completing the challenge within a 60 years time limit, with the minimum fuel used, but again, this makes Mission Planning more complex. VEEGA and VMMMMMM become more important, increasing real play time to finish the challenge efficiently. Brutal trade-offs. A Reusable Rocket/Shuttle, you can Re-spawn, without assembling it on the launch pad every time?