War Thunder

• Thread starter The Dark in the Light
  • Start date

Husky

Registered
Also, different topic, but in my opinion the M10 GMC is the best Rank II tank destroyer. The stock shell is much better and more powerful than the researchable shell, the hull armor - when angled, is able to deflect smaller shells, and the gun is very powerful.

I once snuck around the beaches in Normandy, and caught a Churchill and two Panzer IVs off-guard. The players were seemingly bad or too distracted, without any of them aiming at me, and me easily getting three successive kills. Funnily enough, I got killed by a Panzer III afterwards, after they disabled my gun breech.

Husky

Registered
I found a 500% SL booster, how lucky am I?

Anyways, with some consecutive and consistent good play, I got me a ton of SL. The M6A1 is disappointing to say the least, but I also got enough money for the Jumbo, which I'm essentially halfway into researching.

Husky

Registered
Find yourself a tank/plane your good at using and grind for credits with that.
I got some good planes and tanks, but I'm soon to replace the tanks with newer things; Will replace my M4, M16, and M10 with the M4A3E2, M15A1, and M18, respectively. I've already replaced my M4A1 with the M6A1, though, so that's one thorn out of the bush.

Though, I don't plan on keeping the M15A1 for particularly long, either. In testing, the 37mm cannon is inaccurate and two M2s won't compensate for that. (I'm already bad at leading my target.) I'll replace it with the M19 sooner or later, though probably once I finish the rest of my vehicles as I don't play SPAA except when I'm either low on SP or aircraft are getting on everyone's nerves.

I hope I can pass onto Rank V this year, as radar-guided SPAA (M163) would greatly improve my play/make me feel better about myself not hitting once every 400 rounds.

T

The Dark in the Light

I got some good planes and tanks, but I'm soon to replace the tanks with newer things; Will replace my M4, M16, and M10 with the M4A3E2, M15A1, and M18, respectively. I've already replaced my M4A1 with the M6A1, though, so that's one thorn out of the bush.

Though, I don't plan on keeping the M15A1 for particularly long, either. In testing, the 37mm cannon is inaccurate and two M2s won't compensate for that. (I'm already bad at leading my target.) I'll replace it with the M19 sooner or later, though probably once I finish the rest of my vehicles as I don't play SPAA except when I'm either low on SP or aircraft are getting on everyone's nerves.

I hope I can pass onto Rank V this year, as radar-guided SPAA (M163) would greatly improve my play/make me feel better about myself not hitting once every 400 rounds.
Good to hear that you getting things done! If you need any help, let me know. I would suggest giving German tanks a try as well, their pretty good. The Pz. IV H is a beauty to drive and when you pair it with a StuG III and Wirbelwind.

Good to hear that you getting things done! If you need any help, let me know. I would suggest giving German tanks a try as well, their pretty good. The Pz. IV H is a beauty to drive and when you pair it with a StuG III and Wirbelwind.
Thank you, I'm doing fine for now, and also recently got the M4A3E2 and M15A1.

In my opinion, low-tier German tanks (1.0-2.0) are kinda boring, though I might try the Puma later on, I'd prefer to stick with the American tanks until I get a high-tier vehicle, like the T95E1. After I finish the American tech tree with all branches (except for the Naval branches), I might go for either the Germans or the Soviets, which one would you recommend?

T

The Dark in the Light

Thank you, I'm doing fine for now, and also recently got the M4A3E2 and M15A1.
Cool! The Jumbo with a 76mm gun is capable of front penning an Tiger I, though if that Tiger is angled your likely not to do any damage. If that is the case, knock out his gun and track(s) before flanking him.

In my opinion, low-tier German tanks (1.0-2.0) are kinda boring, though I might try the Puma later on
German 1.0 - 2.0 is kinda boring, but do give the Puma a try! It's great if you like fast paced and high risk gameplay.

After I finish the American tech tree with all branches (except for the Naval branches), I might go for either the Germans or the Soviets, which one would you recommend?
I would suggest giving them both a try and make your decision from there, just take note that Soviet tanks generally have horrible gun depression so shooting down a hill without exposing much of your tank will be quite hard. German tanks have pretty good gun depression, and their open top tank destroyers like the Dicker Max or Sturer Emil, have amazing gun depression (as well as great guns but lack any substantial armour) allowing you to go hull down and shoot.

1620756387027.png

Thanks for the advice. Though the Soviet gun depression is well-known, lol.

I've got the Puma, very fun vehicle on Eastern Europe where I can just ambush, camp, and flank. Though for some reason I tend to do better in American vehicles. No clue why, but maybe the Jumbo ups my spirits?

I will get the Flakbus then probably stop there, and return to the USA so I can continue trying to get a decent high-tier vehicle, like the T95E1, M163, whatever.

The Jumbo rocks, not gonna lie. I once stood still and let a Tiger constantly shoot me, none penetrated except for some sort of high explosive shell lighting my fuel tank on fire, and at that point in time I hadn't researched FPE.

T

The Dark in the Light

The Jumbo rocks, not gonna lie. I once stood still and let a Tiger constantly shoot me, none penetrated except for some sort of high explosive shell lighting my fuel tank on fire, and at that point in time I hadn't researched FPE.
Nice! The Jumbo is actually quite nice, and it's always annoying when you're set alight and don't have FPE. If you encounter a Tiger I, aim for the commander's cupola, you'll likely kill the entire turret crew.

Nice! The Jumbo is actually quite nice, and it's always annoying when you're set alight and don't have FPE. If you encounter a Tiger I, aim for the commander's cupola, you'll likely kill the entire turret crew.
Done that many times, the Tigers suck, lol. The Panthers are a little harder to beat though, unless you're at close range and can penetrate the flat turret.

T

The Dark in the Light

Done that many times, the Tigers suck, lol. The Panthers are a little harder to beat though, unless you're at close range and can penetrate the flat turret.
Tigers don't necessarily suck. Angle a Tiger E (assuming you're not uptiered) and you're practically invincible. The Tiger I, on the other hand, can be killed quite easily even if it's angled. Just aim for the commander's cupola and you'll kill the turret crew, assuming you're not using APCR/APDS.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Horus Lupercal What are your thoughts on this? Lol.
Well, it's a 150mm howitzer hitting the turret ring of a tank at what I'd assume to be very close range. Of course it's gonna go in. You'd get the same result if you used something like a KV-2.
Hell, what was that, 32mm of armour? You could clear that with a 76mm/17pdr/105 Sherman, a T-34-85 and any German tank from the long Panzer IV upwards at ranges of a few hundred metres to a kilometre. Your best bet is that little 'come here' shot trap between the gun mantlet and the drivers vision block.
Assuming the gap is wide enough to fit, gun accurate enough to make that level of precision and the Abrams crew are...asleep.
Or Iraqi.

T

The Dark in the Light

Hell, what was that, 32mm of armour? You could clear that with a 76mm/17pdr/105 Sherman, a T-34-85 and any German tank from the long Panzer IV upwards at ranges of a few hundred metres to a kilometre.
I did another test, and I really thought the Abrams would have had better armour.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I did another test, and I really thought the Abrams would have had better armour.
It has. It depends on the where you hit it. You fire into a weak spot like a ring or a glass block with a dedicated anti tank round, then it's gonna go in.

The real difference isn't so much the protection, it's the mobility, sensors and firepower. A Panzer IV technically could kill an M1A1.
Technically.

At extremely close range, with an extremely lucky shot against a static, unawares Abrams.

Aside from that, an Abrams could find, kill and outrun (in reverse) almost any tank or group of tanks in WWII. Day or night, any terrain, situation or scenario.
You couldn't outflank it, cos it can see you before you see it, it can back away faster than you can advance on it, and if it gets line of sight on you, day or night, out to around 3-4km then regardless of what you're in, how fast you're moving or where it hits you, your tank is dead.
You could take on entire regiments of Shermans with a pair of Abrams tanks and expect to win without issues.

In comparison terms, you have the weight of a tiger, more speed than a BT, better protection than a battleship, more firepower than a jagdtiger, better first round accuracy than a king tiger, better gun stability than a sherman. Even if it doesn't see you first using the day / night sensors, you get one shot on it, several short seconds later the onboard threat system locates you and then you're staring down that smoothbore, waiting for that hilarious over-penetration from an APFSDS dart.

Husky

Registered
It has. It depends on the where you hit it. You fire into a weak spot like a ring or a glass block with a dedicated anti tank round, then it's gonna go in.

The real difference isn't so much the protection, it's the mobility, sensors and firepower. A Panzer IV technically could kill an M1A1.
Technically.

At extremely close range, with an extremely lucky shot against a static, unawares Abrams.

Aside from that, an Abrams could find, kill and outrun (in reverse) almost any tank or group of tanks in WWII. Day or night, any terrain, situation or scenario.
You couldn't outflank it, cos it can see you before you see it, it can back away faster than you can advance on it, and if it gets line of sight on you, day or night, out to around 3-4km then regardless of what you're in, how fast you're moving or where it hits you, your tank is dead.
You could take on entire regiments of Shermans with a pair of Abrams tanks and expect to win without issues.

In comparison terms, you have the weight of a tiger, more speed than a BT, better protection than a battleship, more firepower than a jagdtiger, better first round accuracy than a king tiger, better gun stability than a sherman. Even if it doesn't see you first using the day / night sensors, you get one shot on it, several short seconds later the onboard threat system locates you and then you're staring down that smoothbore, waiting for that hilarious over-penetration from an APFSDS dart.
Yeah, I agree with those points.

The War Thunder threat system is the faded hit indicator, lmao.