Weird things in sfs

S

Sportgus

I'll put all the weird things or bugs I find here.

I was playing around with some stretched docking ports and I tried to make an icarii drive( I think it's called that). My setup involved some stretched ports on the bottom and small ports on the top which were obstructed from the larger pets, the small ports would detached from the larger port craft which gave it 1m/s. I think I did something wrong so I just gave up and made this:
Screenshot_20220318-052037.png

When it's launched the small docking ports all clump together and stick to the top of the.stretched ports. If no gravity is on and you spin in a direction the capsule craft and small docking ports with start to go farther away from each other and you eventually slingshot, I got around 11 m/s doing it.
Going to show it in action.

S

Sportgus

It won't let me attach bps or screenshots, it keeps saying "The upload failed because the file could not be written to the server. The site administrator will need to resolve this before any files can be uploaded.".can a staff member help please.

S

Sportgus

Video of it in action, I know the quality sucks, I'm trying to find a way to get a good quality gif here.
XRecorder_Edited_18032022_055239.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Funny :p

I knew that those docking ports had an excessive attraction force!

S

Sportgus

So a few days ago I was watching one of Scott Manley's old videos about breaking the laws of physics with fuel pumps, I'll link the video at the end of this post ( tell me if I break a rule), and I did something similar in sfs. If you have a setup like this:
Screenshot_20220319-122505.png

you can see that the camera is aiming at the center of mass (I think) which is higher than the probe, this is because the top fuel tank has full fuel and the bottom one has no fuel.
Screenshot_20220319-122814.png

In this screenshot you'll see that now I've flipped the craft and the fully fueled tank is at the bottom, now let's transfer the fuel to the empty tank.
Screenshot_20220319-123019.png

Screenshot_20220319-123254.png

Now my camera or center of mass has moved up as well as the craft, if you look at the height it shows 54.0m instead of 38.1. It moved up 15.9 meters only by transferring fuel.

This can also be used to give the craft momentum without engines, separators, docking ports, or bumping into the ground, though it gives such a little amount so slowly it isn't that useful.

Scott Manley's video
In his video he has a better explanation in KSP.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
So a few days ago I was watching one of Scott Manley's old videos about breaking the laws of physics with fuel pumps, I'll link the video at the end of this post ( tell me if I break a rule), and I did something similar in sfs.
Nice trick, though it will be hard to exploit this efficiently. You can post a video if you wish. As long as it's related to the topic it's not against the rules.

Marmilo

Retired Staff / Scale Inspector
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
No, you did not gain momentum. You changed your position. Momentum is speed x mass. And here you don't have speed at any moment.
Now, iirc what used to happen is while transferring fuel in these conditions, the rest of the craft would move the opposite direction, so that the centre of mass wouldn't move. So I assume that was perceived as a bug, and now the craft kinda doesn't move although the CoM does.
Not sure tho, I might not remember correctly

S

Sportgus

No, you did not gain momentum. You changed your position. Momentum is speed x mass. And here you don't have speed at any moment.
Now, iirc what used to happen is while transferring fuel in these conditions, the rest of the craft would move the opposite direction, so that the centre of mass wouldn't move. So I assume that was perceived as a bug, and now the craft kinda doesn't move although the CoM does.
Not sure tho, I might not remember correctly
Should have explained more if you transfer fuel to the other side while spinning it can give m/s.

S

Sportgus

I tried to see if I could make angled docking ports connect correctly and this is what happened.
This is the setup with the two bottom crafts at 45 degrees:
Screenshot_8.png

I have it so the middle craft will dock to the top craft and then the bottom one, this is what happens when the two top crafts dock.
Screenshot_9.png

I switched to the bottom craft and this happened to the other one..
Screenshot_10.png

The parts are all weird but I can still use them as normal. After I disconnect this port it goes back to normal and takes a port with it.
Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot_4.png

I connected this to the other craft and got this which will connect to to an identical craft.
Screenshot_5.png

Screenshot_7.png

Can this be made into a segmented ring?
This is what I ended up with, If tested more I think it could work.
Screenshot_3.png

Attachments

S

Sportgus

So I was messing around with a shuttle and it's cargo bay, which looks like this:
Screenshot_20220530-045616.png

I have staging so that the fairing gets activated but has detach edges off and some seperator get activated, then I put on RCS, control one half of the bay with an RCS probe thingy and dock the upper port to the side facing one. Then the cargo can be deployed and accessed, that is what is supposed to happen. This is what happened when I try it:
I have the shuttle on the pad with no gravity,
Screenshot_20220530-050001.png

I activate the staging, RCS and undock the port.
Screenshot_20220530-050010.png

Screenshot_20220530-050021.png

Now normally if you didn't move the bay away from the bottom port it would attract it and redock but that doesn't happen.
Screenshot_20220530-050032.png

The bay is docked to the shuttle and locked in place forever, it's similar to the bug I showed before with docking ports. For some reason it locks into place and sometimes bugs out like this:
Screenshot_20220530-045247.png

This is what happened when I opened the bay up. I have not bp edited the shuttle or clipped anything. This may be caused by the recent update, but I don't know.

Just tried to make two small rcs drones undock and redock and this still happens.

S

Sportgus

This happens to me on every world even new ones can someone test it and tell me if it's just me please.

Akmaster

ET phone home
Man on the Moon
Registered
View attachment 83996
This is what happened when I opened the bay up. I have not bp edited the shuttle or clipped anything. This may be caused by the recent update, but I don't know.

Just tried to make two small rcs drones undock and redock and this still happens.
Oh wow that is a weird bug. You are on the beta, which is probably why this happens.

T

TtTOtW

Honestly that has nothing to do with the beta. That has been happening since 1.4. that happens when you have a large fairing of which one side is attached to your craft and the other to a docking port which is also docked to your craft. Absolutely all of my shuttles for the past two years have suffered from this problem if I did not pop them first before anything else. If you use any docking port before you pop your fairings then this will happen. So the fix is simple. Pop your fairings before anything else and you will have no problems at all.

Marmilo

Retired Staff / Scale Inspector
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
Honestly that has nothing to do with the beta. That has been happening since 1.4. that happens when you have a large fairing of which one side is attached to your craft and the other to a docking port which is also docked to your craft. Absolutely all of my shuttles for the past two years have suffered from this problem if I did not pop them first before anything else. If you use any docking port before you pop your fairings then this will happen. So the fix is simple. Pop your fairings before anything else and you will have no problems at all.
I gotta test this. Never happened to me, maybe cos I always popped the fairings first. They also cause a massive lag spike

Last edited:

Akmaster

ET phone home
Man on the Moon
Registered
I've never had that bug ever before

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Happened 4 or 5 times (forgo how many) then a lot of crashes on my case

S

Sportgus

I tested this with crafts with no fairings and it still happened.