Retired Staff / Scale Inspector
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
A shuttle, a rocket replica, a tank, a rocket launcher, a rover, a mercury space station, do the Jovian tour, a shuttle, a surface colony, a starfighter.

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
or make a large scale version of von braun
or make big dumb rocket
or make airport
seaport?
spaceport?
landport

James Brown

Thinker/INTJ/investigator/Natural Science lover
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Space elevator?

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Space Stations and bases aren't really space stations or bases, they are Fairings, fuel tanks, and interstages.
To start this again, but real space stations are also fuel tanks and have interstages and made of the same stuff as fairings.

A space / base station / submarine isn't the sum of its parts, it's the place it is used.

For a submarine to be a submarine, it has to be used sub, marine. Underwater. Unless it does goes underwater and is able to surface under its own volition, it's not a submarine, regardless of shape, intention or material of manufacture.

A base station is a ground installation used as a base of operations. You can make it out of Lego and it'd still be a base station, as long as it's used as a base of operations.

Same with a space station. It doesn't matter what it is made of. It is a way-station, in space.
A Space. Station.

Mars Pathfinder

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
or just recreate hyperloop if i'm right
or operational robot (idk how to do it)
or make some explosion out there....
or make blimps and flyin things
or make ur crush love u
i think its too far away and i can't reach it

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
To start this again, but real space stations are also fuel tanks and have interstages and made of the same stuff as fairings.

A space / base station / submarine isn't the sum of its parts, it's the place it is used.

For a submarine to be a submarine, it has to be used sub, marine. Underwater. Unless it does goes underwater and is able to surface under its own volition, it's not a submarine, regardless of shape, intention or material of manufacture.

A base station is a ground installation used as a base of operations. You can make it out of Lego and it'd still be a base station, as long as it's used as a base of operations.

Same with a space station. It doesn't matter what it is made of. It is a way-station, in space.
A Space. Station.
Skylab was a fuel tank...

Salyut, Almaz, MIR, ISS and Tiangong are NOT fuel tanks...

I'm not starting this debate again.

Marmilo

Retired Staff / Scale Inspector
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
Skylab was a fuel tank...

Salyut, Almaz, MIR, ISS and Tiangong are NOT fuel tanks...

I'm not starting this debate again.
Horus has a point though. A submarine is defined by where it operates, not what it is made of. If I take two bathtubs, join them and hermetize them and attach a water propeller, and make it go underwater it will be a submarine, although it doesn't have living quarters and is powered by hand. If I take a submarine and remove the propeller, switch ballast tanks for fuel tanks and slap some rocket engines on it, It won't be a submarine. But your right, space stations usually aren't made of fairings, interstages and fuel tanks, as the first two aren't pressurised and probably don't meet the safety conditions. They may have some design solutions taken from fuel tanks, but they are not fuel tanks.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered

Mars Pathfinder

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I think wet workshop is best for convertin a once actived stage into habitable module if u want to cut cost and just add somethin to it so it will be usable but needed to purged the remainin fuel.... Or I'm missin somethin here...

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I think wet workshop is best for convertin a once actived stage into habitable module if u want to cut cost and just add somethin to it so it will be usable but needed to purged the remainin fuel.... Or I'm missin somethin here...
Nah you need to leave the fuel in the tank. Gives the astronauts something to drink.

Mars Pathfinder

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Nah you need to leave the fuel in the tank. Gives the astronauts something to drink.
Lox and some LH² no need to purge but to make more water so they dont need to haul up H2O all the way to orbit...
That makes more sense...