Why is it so hard to get to Mercury?

I've used rockets that had 36 titan engines as the first stage and that same rocket has 5 stages! Heck I could even go to mars and return yet I can't even land safely on Mercury.

Astatium_209

Alliance’s Executor // Unstable and Toxic
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2021
I've used rockets that had 36 titan engines as the first stage and that same rocket has 5 stages! Heck I could even go to mars and return yet I can't even land safely on Mercury.
I recommend you read through this gravity assist tutorial by Altaïr , it's very useful for stuff like this.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Mercury is a hard destination yes. Much harder than Mars, so the fact that you can go to Mars and return from it doesn't mean anything.

However you don't need such a big rocket to go to Mercury. Maybe we can help you to improve its design? For a first time you can try using the ion engines to make things easier. They are a pain to use because of their low thrust, but they are incredibly durable.

Do you know how to perform interplanetary transfers? That's very important for Mercury. A gravity assist with Venus can greatly help, but this requires some practice.

I would go step by step, first try to make a rocket to send a small satellite in Mercury orbit. No need to return, just reach Mercury orbit, that will be a good start, and you will learn a lot of things for a more ambitious mission.