Working SpaceX style booster landing system (Updated design and landing instructions)

So I think I got it. I went with a wheeled retainment system that allows it to deploy the legs while in descending. The booster needs to be going <30m/s to deploy correctly.

The base has enough power to launch a 2nd stage into orbit so feel free to use the BP and practice landing it.

New landing configuration:
Screenshot_20200929-094645.png

Reaching space with a ideal return trajectory.

Screenshot_20200929-093719.png

Tap 100% burn for a few seconds for steeper reentry. You don't have to slow the vehicle down much since its lower body drag will slow it down fast when it hits the lower atmosphere.

Screenshot_20200929-093739.png

Let the vehicle freefalls. Its designed so that it will stay upright and slow down under its own drag.

Screenshot_20200929-093840.png

Start engine burn as needed. You want to be >30m/s deploy the legs and supports.
Screenshot_20200929-093932.png

Maintain a steady burn and start deploying the legs.
Leg deployment order of operation:
1. click on the separators. This will free the legs and they should fall to the sides half way.
2. click on the legs imbedded in the body. They will push the legs down into the landing config.
3. Do not click on the rover wheels. They need to stay locked.

Screenshot_20200929-093949.png

Once deployed (hopefully in time) go ahead and touch down.
Screenshot_20200929-094530.png

Attachments

Last edited:

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
A slightly different and unique approach to the SpaceX landing system, not the one that literally EVERYONE tries to replicate...
_20200929_144156.JPG

A slightly different and unique approach to the SpaceX landing system, not the one that literally EVERYONE tries to replicate...
View attachment 46073
lol its a good design and it works thus far.

I wonder if Elon's comment about getting 100 launches out of a boosters is reasonable while maintain a low operation cost.

I get the basics that the cost saving will come down range as the launch cadence picks up and they have more boosters in rotation.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I wonder if Elon's comment about getting 100 launches out of a boosters is reasonable while maintain a low operation cost.
I thought they were only going for 10 before refurbishment? Cos they've got one coming up to that number pretty shortly.

I don't see why not though. They're not doing re-entry, nor are they twatting them into the ocean like NASA used to do with SRBs. Don't see why with correct checks between flights, the first stages shouldn't be able to fly as many flights as they want.

I mean I'm not an expert, but the vast majority of the abuse the boosters get going up and coming down is on the engines. What should bring the launch price right down on Falcon 9/heavy and starship will be once engine production ramps up and they're able to do lower cost engine re-furb / replacements and pass those savings onto the customers

I thought they were only going for 10 before refurbishment? Cos they've got one coming up to that number pretty shortly.

I don't see why not though. They're not doing re-entry, nor are they twatting them into the ocean like NASA used to do with SRBs. Don't see why with correct checks between flights, the first stages shouldn't be able to fly as many flights as they want.

I mean I'm not an expert, but the vast majority of the abuse the boosters get going up and coming down is on the engines. What should bring the launch price right down on Falcon 9/heavy and starship will be once engine production ramps up and they're able to do lower cost engine re-furb / replacements and pass those savings onto the customers
It all makes sense on paper! Excited and pulling for it all to pan out.