World Ending Conspiracy

Another power source are hydrodams, which have became the second most politically controversial power plants to exist after nuclear.
Another drama that happened pretty recently was this dam built by China, there are conspiracy theories that China built this to take the piss on India so their communities can't receive a reliable stream of river water downstream.

1592757172254.png

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Hydrodams are green with regards to CO2 emissions, but not with regards to the environment...
And they're historically like 100x more dangerous than nuclear.

Hydrodams are green with regards to CO2 emissions, but not with regards to the environment...
And they're historically like 100x more dangerous than nuclear.
Looking at the number of fatalities (not war related), its possibly far worst than nuclear.

Schoellkopf Power Station - 1 deaths
Vajont Dam - 1917 deaths
Banqiao Dam - 26000 direct deaths + 145000 post disaster deaths
Teton Dam - 11 deaths
Machchhu Dam - 1800 deaths (optimistic estimate)
Lawn Lake Dam - 3 deaths

total deaths: 174,732 deaths
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kyshtym disaster - Estimated 200 possible cancer fatalities
Chernobyl - 28 direct, 19 not entirely related and 15 minors due to thyroid cancer, as of 2008. Estimated up to 4000 possible cancer deaths.
SL-1 - 3 deaths
Enrico Fermi Nuclear Generating Station - 0 deaths
Lucens reactor - 0 deaths
Jaslovské Bohunice - 2 deaths
THTR-300 - 0 deaths
Surry Nuclear Power Plant - 4 deaths
Fukushima - 1 and 3+ labour accidents; plus a broader number of primarily ill or old people from evacuation stress

total deaths : 4213 deaths

Hydrodams are green with regards to CO2 emissions
However such massive structures require a lot of concrete, and concrete produces a lot of CO2 debt, which takes time to pay off.

2 produced for the manufacture of structural concrete (using ~14% cement) is estimated at 410 kg/m3 (~180 kg/tonne @ density of 2.3 g/cm3) (reduced to 290 kg/m3 with 30% fly ash replacement of cement).
Same issue with wind mills, where large amounts of CO2 are generated to produce the massive steel parts for it. Sometimes steel is used instead of composites because it is completely recyclable.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Looking at the number of fatalities (not war related), its possibly far worst than nuclear.

Schoellkopf Power Station - 1 deaths
Vajont Dam - 1917 deaths
Banqiao Dam - 26000 direct deaths + 145000 post disaster deaths
Teton Dam - 11 deaths
Machchhu Dam - 1800 deaths (optimistic estimate)
Lawn Lake Dam - 3 deaths

total deaths: 174,732 deaths
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kyshtym disaster - Estimated 200 possible cancer fatalities
Chernobyl - 28 direct, 19 not entirely related and 15 minors due to thyroid cancer, as of 2008. Estimated up to 4000 possible cancer deaths.
SL-1 - 3 deaths
Enrico Fermi Nuclear Generating Station - 0 deaths
Lucens reactor - 0 deaths
Jaslovské Bohunice - 2 deaths
THTR-300 - 0 deaths
Surry Nuclear Power Plant - 4 deaths
Fukushima - 1 and 3+ labour accidents; plus a broader number of primarily ill or old people from evacuation stress

total deaths : 4213 deaths
The difference is insane. And 99% of the nuclear power deaths happened with a soviet reactor design that had a design flaw that literally no other reactor had.
However such massive structures require a lot of concrete, and concrete produces a lot of CO2 debt, which takes time to pay off.

Same issue with wind mills, where large amounts of CO2 are generated to produce the massive steel parts for it. Steel is used instead of composites because it is completely recyclable.
Nuclear reactors tend to have lots of concrete too...
Solar might be best in this area?

We have already discussed the terrible cons of solar a few pages back, I am not reiterating that again.

I usually do not have an issue with people who buy high quality panels from reputable manufacturers, but when governments do it, they tend to find the lowest bidder.

By lowest bidder I mean the quality of everything they make is absolute cocks. Their efficiency drops lower than CNN's ratings within 5 years, and the brutal amounts of toxic pollutants they generate when trying to make these panels aren't desirable either, its ok when a product generates toxic waste, its all about how they are dealt with.

Unfortunately, these low bid factories dont have the funds for expensive waste containment and treatment systems, so they just dump it into the ground or river.

After the panels have met the end of their service life, they are often treated as electronic waste and used as landfill.

Toxic the day they're introduced, toxic the day they leave, kinda like in-laws.

Nuclear reactors tend to have lots of concrete too...
To sum up, there is no such thing as the best method of energy production, only the most feasible.

So far with advancements of reactor designs and hard lessons learnt from the past, nuclear reactors are the "best" we've got, all we need to do is embrace it.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
To sum up, there is no such thing as the best method of energy production, only the most feasible.

So far with advancements of reactor designs and hard lessons learnt from the past, nuclear reactors are the "best".
No disagreement on that!
I really wanna see Gen IV reactors being made.

No disagreement on that!
I really wanna see Gen IV reactors being made.
So far Europe's best role model for the use of nuclear power is France, they're veterans when it comes to reactor construction and management, so accidents are extremely unlikely.

Plus they generate so much bloody power, they're selling it to other regions. I mean look at it, 3 billion pounds a year! It pays for itself! Germany on the other hand is handicapping itself with farms that works only when the sun is shining or when the wind is blowing.

1592759515993.png

JSP

The Lord President of Gallifrey.
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Today might be the end of the world I might be right I might be wrong have fun on what could be your last day on earth

Earl

Builder of Stupid Rockets // Pres Ben //|**|\\
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Uhh guys... Why isn't the world ending? :confused:
Isn't that supposed to be happening?

Earl

Builder of Stupid Rockets // Pres Ben //|**|\\
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Jesus Christ...
You don't actually thino it's real do you? :rolleyes:

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Today might be the end of the world I might be right I might be wrong have fun on what could be your last day on earth
Well the 4 horseman are already nearly 19 hours late. You'd think after all this time, they'd at least be punctual.

Amateurs

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend