1.5 Summary: what we hate and love about the new update.

Marmilo

Retired Staff / Scale Inspector
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
My biggest problems with 1.5:
-Hell annoying bugs (disconnecting fuel tanks, RCS fuel deletion, and many different)
-No closest approach line (cos gravity assists)
-Game crashing frequently
Things I love/appreciate:
-Improved bp editing
-Beginner friendly, tutorials and intuitive nav system
-Cleaner look
-Better planet editing
-some dumb bugs removed
I'd like t know your opinions, feel free to share them!

4KidsOneCamera

Alliance’s New President // Likes SpaceX replicas
Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Love:
  • Part clipping
  • The nav system is pretty good
  • Improvements within the build menu (the move rocket button, ability to access the settings, etc)
  • Menu improvements in general (being able to actually pause the game, and the ability access the settings without needing to go back to the main menu is great for multi-blueprint pad assemblies)
  • I agree with the cleaner look, definitely makes everything feel more refined
  • Working aero system
Hate/dislike:
  • I still kinda wish we had the orbital parameters from 1.35 on screen, I feel they should at least be visible on the map screen
  • Why is the move rocket button right next to the clear build screen button???
  • Lag when timewarping large craft (this one might not be an issue solely with 1.5, as I am building larger and higher part count craft than before)
  • Definitely the lack of the closest approach indicator
  • Worlds tend to slow down after a while, and eventually reach a point where they get almost unplayable
  • Somewhat going off the last point, but after a while the revert to launch button stops working and just crashes the game
  • In addition to the last two points, quick saves also stop working after a while (it’s at a point where I can’t even use them in my main world)

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I think the nav system is a step down from the one in 1.4.06. It's not just gravity assists, it's being able to use the closest approach to make your own encounter as and when you like

4KidsOneCamera

Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
I think the nav system is a step down from the one in 1.4.06. It's not just gravity assists, it's being able to use the closest approach to make your own encounter as and when you like
You have a good point here. I hope we get the closest approach indicator back. For a lot of the more experienced players, I can see how it would be a step back. The game pretty much does it all for you (often times it could be done better, or in a different manner by using the CA Indicator). The one thing I think it has going for it is it’s ease of use, something that I feel a lot of less experienced players will appreciate.

That being said, the system ought to have a tutorial for beginners as it’s pretty common to see posts on the subreddit asking how to use the system.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
You have a good point here. I hope we get the closest approach indicator back. For a lot of the more experienced players, I can see how it would be a step back. The game pretty much does it all for you (often times it could be done better, or in a different manner by using the CA Indicator). The one thing I think it has going for it is it’s ease of use, something that I feel a lot of less experienced players will appreciate.

That being said, the system ought to have a tutorial for beginners as it’s pretty common to see posts on the subreddit asking how to use the system.
Yeah. Like it you just want a transfer from point A to point B then the new system is really good cos it gives you an exact point to burn and an exact amount of delta velocity it'll cost. But it you're doing something a little bit more spicy and chaining burns to get encounters in weird places (like the stuff in my frontier videos), then you'll find it impossible to do in 1.5, even if you knew what you were doing.

I'd have struggled to do the stuff I did in that video under 1.5 conditions, which is another reason why I'm still rocking 1.4.

4KidsOneCamera

Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Yeah. Like it you just want a transfer from point A to point B then the new system is really good cos it gives you an exact point to burn and an exact amount of delta velocity it'll cost. But it you're doing something a little bit more spicy and chaining burns to get encounters in weird places (like the stuff in my frontier videos), then you'll find it impossible to do in 1.5, even if you knew what you were doing.

I'd have struggled to do the stuff I did in that video under 1.5 conditions, which is another reason why I'm still rocking 1.4.
Yeah, I feel like it’s probably one of the reasons I don’t do many assists in the first place, because lining them up is always a pain and really just guesswork half of the time.

Gurren Lagann

«★» Officer «» //PT
Professor
ET phone home
Man on the Moon
Registered
Uhh guys? Havent you guys noticed that 1.5 does consume more battery per unit of time than 1.4? As a planet packer that must work 15 hours an day, this is unacceptable!

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
My opinion about 1.5:

Love:
- The nav system, when it works
- Aero system finally working
- musics back ingame
- the multiple bugs fixed (RCS bug etc...)

Hate:
- The nav system, when it doesn't work

That nav system is quite problematic. It really does wonders when it works, but sometimes it really drives me crazy. This one definitely needs some improvements, but once it works perfectly, hopefully it can fully replace the closest approach line.

Last edited by a moderator: