3 Stage Example Rocket: How far can you go?

mariohobbs

Modder
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Its a thing to stop bots, just stay on the forum a bit, post a bit more and most of the awaiting mod stuff will dissapear

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
What's up with my message awaiting mod approval? I don't know what why it would
Sorry for the inconvenience, it's approved. It was caught by our filters because there's a link in it (in the part you quoted), this happens for members that have less than 30 messages. This is a countermeasure we've had to put in place because the forum was raided by spammers at some point.

floatingfuel

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Here's my entry. I'm using FRM's TTSS on Hard difficulty.
I'm definitely abusing utilizing gravity assist on this mission :p

Launched, reached orbit and immediately aimed for Venus to reach Mercury.
ImageMerge_Horizontal_20240429_104312818.jpg

After Mercury, the ship swung to Venus twice, followed by Earth and then Mars.
ImageMerge_Horizontal_20240429_104433841.jpg

After Mars, two more Earth assist was done to reach Jupiter level. Flyby of Saturn came after that.
ImageMerge_Horizontal_20240429_104509461.jpg

Then, the ship visited Uranus and Neptune, before eventually set its trajectory to Sedna.
ImageMerge_Horizontal_20240429_104538805.jpg

The ship landed on Sedna, and since it had enough fuel, decided to go to Pluto, hoped to see some Ctulhu.
ImageMerge_Horizontal_20240429_104603995.jpg

With depleting fuel, the ship decided to descend its orbit to go home. First assist was with Neptune, and then Uranus, and skipped to Jupiter.
ImageMerge_Horizontal_20240429_104629550.jpg

Several Jupiter assists and a deep space maneuver was done by the ship to lower its perihelion to just below Mars level.
ImageMerge_Horizontal_20240429_104728672.jpg

Then two Mars assists brought the ship home.
ImageMerge_Horizontal_20240429_104802815.jpg

Time for the astronaut to get used to Earth's gravity again.
ImageMerge_Horizontal_20240429_104939576.jpg
ImageMerge_Horizontal_20240429_104952459.jpg

UN Cosmo Navy

Explorer Program Management - non-dlc
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Under Pressure
Registered

View attachment 118300

View attachment 118301

After Mars, two more Earth assist was done to reach Jupiter level. Flyby of Saturn came after that.
View attachment 118302

Then, the ship visited Uranus and Neptune, before eventually set its trajectory to Sedna.
View attachment 118303

The ship landed on Sedna, and since it had enough fuel, decided to go to Pluto, hoped to see some Ctulhu.
View attachment 118304

With depleting fuel, the ship decided to descend its orbit to go home. First assist was with Neptune, and then Uranus, and skipped to Jupiter. View attachment 118305

Several Jupiter assists and a deep space maneuver was done by the ship to lower its perihelion to just below Mars level.
View attachment 118306

Then two Mars assists brought the ship home. View attachment 118307

View attachment 118308 View attachment 118309
Bro did the Grand Tour and back. Nice!

Lemniscate Biscuit

ㅤㅤHelp DeskㅤㅤRL10 Expert
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
MOTY 2023

View attachment 118300

View attachment 118301

View attachment 118302

View attachment 118303

View attachment 118304

With depleting fuel, the ship decided to descend its orbit to go home. First assist was with Neptune, and then Uranus, and skipped to Jupiter. View attachment 118305

View attachment 118306

Then two Mars assists brought the ship home. View attachment 118307

View attachment 118308 View attachment 118309
holy shit

Astro826

Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Registered
Impressive. And I understand why it took 5 hours due to the crazy amount of random encounters you probably waited for :eek:
Indeed. As you can tell by my fuel amount at the end, I had to do a huge number of gravity assists with spending essentially 0 fuel, so I had to wait for encounters, and be timewarping slow enough so that I could get a correction burn in.

Axiom

He who asks ten thousand questions
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Is the semi major axis from the game files calculated from the Sun's surface or centre?

I'm trying to calculate resonant orbits (again) and I keep on not getting them because the 1.5 stock navigation system is straight ass when it comes to anything more complex than an homann transfer

Axiom

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Also, when doing a mercury return, is it worth it to do gravity assists of mercury/venus to get to earth?

Lemniscate Biscuit

ㅤㅤHelp DeskㅤㅤRL10 Expert
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
MOTY 2023
I've done it. After 5 hours of playtime, I have landed on Callisto, Europa, Io, and came back, without any cheats/lithobraking/glitches of any kind. I made an album for it because it took 31 images to cover this insane mission.
Ok. Are some of these people related to Albert Einstein because how is that possible.

floatingfuel

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Hm, the link doesn't seem to be working. Attempt 2
Bravo! Never thought quitting the Jovian system with abysmally little fuel is possible before. And I like your way of minimizing the need of gravity turn.

Also, when doing a mercury return, is it worth it to do gravity assists of mercury/venus to get to earth?
Definitely. The path is the reverse of how you get to Mercury.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Is the semi major axis from the game files calculated from the Sun's surface or centre?

I'm trying to calculate resonant orbits (again) and I keep on not getting them because the 1.5 stock navigation system is straight ass when it comes to anything more complex than an homann transfer
In the game files it's measured from the center. The game itself however displays altitudes, so they are measured from the Sun surface. You need to add the Sun radius to have the corresponding radius.

How do you calculate them? With the third Kepler law I suppose? Here is how I proceed if that can help.
Usually I write T1²/D1³ = T2²/D2³ = constant
With T1 the orbital period of object 1, and D1 its sma. Then same thing with T2 and D2 relating to object 2.

The orbits being resonant translates to n1×T1 = n2×T2: object 1 completes n1 orbits in the same time as object 2 completes n2 orbits.

So:
(T1/T2)² = (D1/D2)³, and
T1/T2 = n2/n1

By substituting T1/T2:
n2/n1 = (D1/D2)^(3/2)

n1 and n2 are integers, and any couple of positive integers will make the orbit resonant.

With this formula, once you have determined your sma and the target's sma, you just calculate (D1/D2)^(3/2), then the purpose is to find the closest rational to this. For this, there's a very efficient method which is calculating the corresponding continued fraction. You can google this for more precisions, but here is how you process, you'll see, it's fast and easy.

If your ratio is r=1.4567 for example, you first split it as the sum of the integer part and the decimal part:
r = 1 + 0.4567

Then take f = the reciprocal of 0.4567, so:
r = 1 + 1/f

Here, f≈2.1896...
Split this into integer part and rational part, so:
r = 1 + 1/(2 + 0.1896)

You can cut the fractional part and get the approximation r ≈ 3/2, or continue the process:
f = 1/0.1896 ≈ 5 + ... so:
r = 1 + 1/(2 + 1/(5 + ...))

Now by removing the fractional part you have r ≈ 16/11 (1.4545...) which is much closer.

Then when you're satisfied with your approximation you just calculate what should be exactly your sma to make your orbit resonant.
You can also continue the continued fraction process, to have a more accurate approximation, but at the cost of a higher number of turns. It's just a matter of finding the best compromise.

Axiom

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
In the game files it's measured from the center. The game itself however displays altitudes, so they are measured from the Sun surface. You need to add the Sun radius to have the corresponding radius.

How do you calculate them? With the third Kepler law I suppose? Here is how I proceed if that can help.
Usually I write T1²/D1³ = T2²/D2³ = constant
With T1 the orbital period of object 1, and D1 its sma. Then same thing with T2 and D2 relating to object 2.

The orbits being resonant translates to n1×T1 = n2×T2: object 1 completes n1 orbits in the same time as object 2 completes n2 orbits.

So:
(T1/T2)² = (D1/D2)³, and
T1/T2 = n2/n1

By substituting T1/T2:
n2/n1 = (D1/D2)^(3/2)

n1 and n2 are integers, and any couple of positive integers will make the orbit resonant.

With this formula, once you have determined your sma and the target's sma, you just calculate (D1/D2)^(3/2), then the purpose is to find the closest rational to this. For this, there's a very efficient method which is calculating the corresponding continued fraction. You can google this for more precisions, but here is how you process, you'll see, it's fast and easy.

If your ratio is r=1.4567 for example, you first split it as the sum of the integer part and the decimal part:
r = 1 + 0.4567

Then take f = the reciprocal of 0.4567, so:
r = 1 + 1/f

Here, f≈2.1896...
Split this into integer part and rational part, so:
r = 1 + 1/(2 + 0.1896)

You can cut the fractional part and get the approximation r ≈ 3/2, or continue the process:
f = 1/0.1896 ≈ 5 + ... so:
r = 1 + 1/(2 + 1/(5 + ...))

Now by removing the fractional part you have r ≈ 16/11 (1.4545...) which is much closer.

Then when you're satisfied with your approximation you just calculate what should be exactly your sma to make your orbit resonant.
You can also continue the continued fraction process, to have a more accurate approximation, but at the cost of a higher number of turns. It's just a matter of finding the best compromise.
That's a much better method than I was using, I just calculated the resonances for common fractions beforehand (like 2:3, 5:4 etc). And looked at my SMA and then adjusted it from there

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
That's a much better method than I was using, I just calculated the resonances for common fractions beforehand (like 2:3, 5:4 etc). And looked at my SMA and then adjusted it from there
Yep, continued fractions are known to give very interesting ratios. That's how you get the excellent approximation π ≈ 355/113 that gives up to 6 accurate digits after the decimal point for example.