@8BitCosmonaut what happened to the rocket engine?

Lt. Snakestrike

The Kronian Serpent; Engineering Student
Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
so, what degree do you need to make a rocket and rocket engine and a power plant (using solar heat concentrator things, copper tubing in a black box with low e glass on one side, going into a steam engine or steam turbine)
Umm, what exactly is your plan with that? Steam propulsion?

Lt. Snakestrike

The Kronian Serpent; Engineering Student
Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Flying 1899 train :p jk it would be unique though, the concept is actually out there but is not in use.
There's a good reason for that. It requires a ridiculous amount of pressure. Pressure feds are bad enough when you have a bi-prop. With a monoprop though, it requires so much more to get the same results.

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
There's a good reason for that. It requires a ridiculous amount of pressure. Pressure feds are bad enough when you have a bi-prop. With a monoprop though, it requires so much more to get the same results.
is the pressure fed has disadvantages right??
like limited pressure it can go..... right??

I’m gathering the gross thrust production of steam is highly efficient but the net thrust is low because the equipment is necessarily heavy as hell

T

TtTOtW

But this

is very high compared to which rocket engines?
Cause I can't imagine a pressure-fed monopropellant engine more efficient than a RP-1 engine.
Forgive me, my memory had it the wrong way around. Low ISP, but low weight too.
Screenshot_20200826-192315.png

Earl

Builder of Stupid Rockets // Pres Ben //|**|\\
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
I actually read something on steam powered rocket engines recently. The main issue is how you actually heat the water. I doubt it would be very useful, at least if it's actually on a rocket. If you're just doing it for shits and giggles then why not?
But from what I've heard it takes a lot of power to use them , meaning lots of batteries. So unless you want the ion engine equivalent of a crappy chinese knockoff, I'd stick to a more standard propulsion mechanism.

How about direct solar heating for craft in the inner solar system, eh?
Course native water would be scarce

Was also thinking equipment mass could be conserved with a low pressure tank feeding a tiny pressure tank/engine with a pump