A Challenge with Aerobraking on Mars

GSUI5051

ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Registered
There's a thin atmosphere around Mars in SFS. Someone reported that it's unsuitable for pure parachute landing. I managed to make an aerocapture around Mars in SFS (but on phone). I have an idea for challenge, can even be done by vanilla (no IAP) droid/iOS version.

1. Pass through the Martian atmosphere and make it as close to Olympus Mons as possible.
2. When your spacecraft just above Olympus Mons, record its speed and altitude (screenshot required!).
3. Calculate the score based on speed and altitude.

Bonus
1. Pre-1.5 debuff. After SFS 1.5, overheat mechanic is added when you pass thru atmosphere.
2. Steam version buff. Hard and Realistic mode are implemented for Steam version. A big award for those brave people who choose to test their knowledge on engineering and aerospace.

An example for required trajectory:
Screenshot_2022-02-22-00-32-34-461_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg.jpg

GSUI5051

ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Registered
1. Pass through the Martian atmosphere and make it as close to Olympus Mons as possible.
2. When your spacecraft just above Olympus Mons, record its speed and altitude (screenshot required!).
3. Calculate the score based on speed and altitude.
4. Spacecraft must survived after going thru the Martian atmosphere.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Lmao who said that
That's probably if you try to land on top of the Olympus Mons.

However generally speaking this is true in real life and in IRIS. Maybe in SFS built-in realistic mode too, but I still haven't tried. Mars' atmosphere in the original game mode is very forgiving.

Zeeray13

Merlin Master
Registered
I did try this on 1:1 I was within 500 to 750 meters above the tallest peak of Olympus mons traveling around 3km/s I need to do this again sadly I didn't save the screenshots i thought i shared them in my 1:1 discussion thread, though it doesn't look like I did RIP.