Stellarium

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
I'm getting into modding SFS, and I just wanted to know a few things before getting started. Right now, I'm just learning the very basics of Lua. I'm planning on making a part pack of some kind, maybe an engine pack.

1: Does the mod/part pack have to be made specifically in Unity? Presumably not right? (Just asking because Unity's in a rough spot right now.)
2: Is there a tutorial or something on the forums for how to make a mod specifically for SFS? or would it even matter? (There are little to no sources on YouTube.)
3: Are there any tools to help me make mods?
4: What other things should I know before starting to mod?

I greatly appreciate your support.:D

Stellarium

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
I'm getting into modding SFS, and I just wanted to know a few things before getting started. Right now, I'm just learning the very basics of Lua. I'm planning on making a part pack of some kind, maybe an engine pack.

1: Does the mod/part pack have to be made specifically in Unity? Presumably not right? (Just asking because Unity's in a rough spot right now.)
2: Is there a tutorial or something on the forums for how to make a mod specifically for SFS? or would it even matter? (There are little to no sources on YouTube.)

I greatly appreciate your support.:D
I probably won't be able to reply to this for a while. So don't worry (why would you) if I don't respond until later.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Oh, you want to launch yourself into the great adventure of modding? You're brave.

Right now, I'm just learning the very basics of Lua.
First point about this, the game is coded in C#, not Lua. Unless you intend to use AstroForge, but I won't be able to help much for that.

For a part pack, you will need Unity indeed. You will also need the modding toolkit. For more informations I recommend to check the modding channel of the Discord server. Unfortunately I can't help much myself for custom parts, I never tried to make one.

For mods, Unity is not needed.

For mods, you have this thread that is very well done. For custom parts, I believe there's an example in the modding toolkit.

Yes, they are detailed in the tutorial cited above, or in the modding toolkit.

For mods, ideally you should know C#, or at least you should have an experience into programming. Some knowledge about Unity might help, but it depends on what you want to do.

Don't hesitate to ask if you need, though I recommend joining the official Discord server to access the modding channel. All modders and the developpers are there, while I'm practically the only one active on the forum.

Stellarium

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Oh, you want to launch yourself into the great adventure of modding? You're brave.

First point about this, the game is coded in C#, not Lua. Unless you intend to use AstroForge, but I won't be able to help much for that.

For a part pack, you will need Unity indeed. You will also need the modding toolkit. For more informations I recommend to check the modding channel of the Discord server. Unfortunately I can't help much myself for custom parts, I never tried to make one.

For mods, you have this thread that is very well done. For custom parts, I believe there's an example in the modding toolkit.

For mods, ideally you should know C#, or at least you should have an experience into programming. Some knowledge about Unity might help, but it depends on what you want to do.

Don't hesitate to ask if you need, though I recommend joining the official Discord server to access the modding channel. All modders and the developpers are there, while I'm practically the only one active on the forum.
Thanks again Altaïr. :D I thought that the scripting was Lua, and you saved me from eventually realizing that it was C# the hard way! :p

Stellarium

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered

Screen Shot 2023-09-29 at 7.23.37 AM.png

Why would this happen?

Stellarium

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Oh it's for Mac? I don't know then.
OK, so I just tried re-downloading the Unity Hub and redownloading the actual Unity, but I found the "Mac Build Support" Module that has an option to come with it. And I tried it with that, BUT of course that didn't work:
Screen Shot 2023-09-29 at 5.21.12 PM.png

Stellarium

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Hey Altaïr ... if it's in C# then can I just use something like Godot engine that supports C sharp? Or does it only work in Unity?
Screen Shot 2023-09-30 at 9.00.54 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-30 at 9.00.54 AM.png

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend

Stellarium

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
If nothing works I'll try Godot.
So, I tried changing my actual Mac profile from a standard, (Which includes more security, but not by much) to an Administrator. Apparently, that solved the problem! I tried re-downloading Unity and it worked. Thanks again Altaïr . :D:
Screen Shot 2023-10-02 at 2.41.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-10-02 at 2.42.43 PM.png

Noor Nehan

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
im also interested in modding. How can i make custom parts?

EDIT:WILL I GET THE MODDER BADGE IF I MAKE CUSTOM PARTS?

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
im also interested in modding. How can i make custom parts?
See this message, I would just repeat myself.

WILL I GET THE MODDER BADGE IF I MAKE CUSTOM PARTS?
Yes, the modder badge is given to anybody that releases a mod or a custom part pack.
However I hope that you're not just doing it for the badge. Not that I want to discourage you, but this is a long road to go, especially if you have no prior Unity knowledge. If your main motivation is to get a badge, be aware that this is one of the hardest to get.

Stellarium

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
See this message, I would just repeat myself.

Yes, the modder badge is given to anybody that releases a mod or a custom part pack.
However I hope that you're not just doing it for the badge. Not that I want to discourage you, but this is a long road to go, especially if you have no prior Unity knowledge. If your main motivation is to get a badge, be aware that this is one of the hardest to get.
Very true.

Stellarium

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Um... How do I actually download the modding toolkit?
( I don't see any way how on the GitHub page he gave in the link )