Lt. Snakestrike

The Kronian Serpent; Engineering Student
Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
There's one change to the game during the 1.5 update that removed so much from the game imo. We had so many more options in 1.4 when we were able to use parts that were inside of fairings. The hitbox changes to ions and batteries were disappointing, but acceptable, but losing the use of fairings for aesthetics really ruined a lot. Concealed engines and landing gear are the two biggest losses. Both the Oblivion Shuttle (the project a group of us released just before 1.5) and the SCS were casualties of this change. The only thing non-fairing related that the update broke for me was those 90 degree joints Danny designed for me, and that was some fringe tech which in the grand scheme of things doesn't really need to be restored.

I talked to Stef about this just after the update, and he came up with an idea which I think would be a great solution: Give us an inside-of-fairings view (like the build screen) which can be toggled on and off, and would allow us to use the parts inside of the fairings.

It would restore part use inside of fairings, and it could be even better than it used to be. Actually seeing the hidden parts would be quite handy, and so would being able to transfer fuel to/from tanks inside fairings (that was quite a design constraint back in 1.4). Thoughts? This update really simplified things, and I feel like it'd be really nice to bring some complexity back.

T

The Dark in the Light

I think having the complexity back would be great, and being able to use things inside fairings without jettisoning them would be very beneficial.

Marmilo

Retired Staff / Scale Inspector
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
Yes, definitely. Also...
The closest approach line and undo button.

T

The Dark in the Light

Yes, definitely. Also...
The closest approach line and undo button.
These are a must have. It is very, very annoying when you accidently mess up something that required editing and can't undo it.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
I'd love to touch parts inside fairings again.:D

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
There's one change to the game during the 1.5 update that removed so much from the game imo. We had so many more options in 1.4 when we were able to use parts that were inside of fairings. The hitbox changes to ions and batteries were disappointing, but acceptable, but losing the use of fairings for aesthetics really ruined a lot. Concealed engines and landing gear are the two biggest losses. Both the Oblivion Shuttle (the project a group of us released just before 1.5) and the SCS were casualties of this change. The only thing non-fairing related that the update broke for me was those 90 degree joints Danny designed for me, and that was some fringe tech which in the grand scheme of things doesn't really need to be restored.

I talked to Stef about this just after the update, and he came up with an idea which I think would be a great solution: Give us an inside-of-fairings view (like the build screen) which can be toggled on and off, and would allow us to use the parts inside of the fairings.

It would restore part use inside of fairings, and it could be even better than it used to be. Actually seeing the hidden parts would be quite handy, and so would being able to transfer fuel to/from tanks inside fairings (that was quite a design constraint back in 1.4). Thoughts? This update really simplified things, and I feel like it'd be really nice to bring some complexity back.
This seems like a good idea, and it doesn’t sounds like “undoable” for Stef. I think would be a nice add to the game.

yonkee

Queen of Awesome
Staff member
Team Kolibri
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
MOTY 2022
That’s a really good idea actually, can’t find any reason why it couldn’t or shouldn’t be done