A new multi-use LV

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
So, recently, The Agency has received several complaints of environmental organizations and naturalist groups that the Star-Carrier Vessel’s SRB and ET aren’t burning in the atmosphere properly after detachment and are falling with a considerate mass over the Atlantic Ocean, contaminating its waters with floating debris.

The Agency has accepted this and has stopped on the ground the whole SCV fleet until a new ET-SRB stack is designed…

Meanwhile, the experts at RKK Energiya may have a solution: they are designing the Energia 3, a new heavy launcher capable of bringing 400 tons to orbit by itself with complete reusability. They bet that this vehicle can be used to launch the SCVs, the same way Energia 1 launched the Buran almost a century ago… The Agency has accepted to send the ‘ol-reliable’ SCV Hakuren, the first in the fleet, to Russia for some tests, onboard of a Chinese freighter ship, camouflaged as a shipment of tuna…

That bullshit being said, I designed a new launcher for my Star-Carrier Vessels because:

• On its current configuration, the SCV is not showing its entire potential. Reaches orbit with a lot of fuel, but no more payload fits on its cargo bay because of the ‘stack’ configuration. This new LV is not only more powerful, but allows me to enlarge the shuttle’s cargo bay, to fit more payload.
  • A more powerful launcher reduces the fuel spent by the SCV during launch, making refuel missions easier.
  • Again, more powerful LV, gives me the margin to add a little more visual tuning to the orbiters, like retractable landing gears and stuff.
  • I needed a launcher that allows bigger payloads, not limited by the size of a fairing. Inspired by the real Energia’s configuration where payloads are mounted aside, not on top, I am now free of length limitations.
  • I wanted a design that is, at least partially reusable. I got a fully recoverable.
With that in mind I made this:

Screenshot_20190928-211349.png

This is my Energia 3, a fictitious LV, inspired by a real one, with its 500 tons test payload (the dual tanks on the side).

As you know in RL, unlike the American STS’ ET, the original Energia was not only capable to put its shuttle in orbit, but also usable for multiple missions, the same goes for this rocket. It has 3 versions:

• A SSTO version capable of 400 tons to orbit
  • A boosted version designed for 600 tons
  • And of course, the version that launches the shuttle…
This rocket is blueprint edited, but that does not affect its performance. This is only positioning editing, but nothing that makes the vehicle a cheater, like engine’s performance increased dramatically.

For starters, the original E3 is not edited, only the booster is. And like I said, I can build the booster legally, but that would take a whole new building grid, and more launchpad assembly. What I’m doing is to avoid all that by ‘compressing’ the design a little. But again, there is not a ridiculous amount of fuel stacked or engines overpowered, so I dare to say: THIS IS A LEGAL DESIGN.

Anyway, here comes the Energia-Hakuren mission:
Screenshot_20190930-000957.png

Some sort of Booster separation...:
Screenshot_20190930-001254.png

Energia is detached while still on a suborbital trajectory, while shuttle reaches orbit by itself:
Screenshot_20190930-001401.png

Energia landing:
Screenshot_20190930-001820.png

Yeah, I broke a landing leg, but still, its done. The visual upgrade of the shuttle is underway…

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Quite an impressive booster and Orbiter.
I like the fact that nothing is thrown away!