A tutorial on shuttle payload doors in SFS 1.5

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Okay, so I've seen many people complaining that their Shuttle's payload doors don't work in SFS 1.5. Mostly because we can't use Parts that are below the Fairings, like the docking ports we used to secure the doors back In 1.4.

So I decided to make a small tutorial on shuttle doors for SFS 1.5. :)

For example, let's take my Work-in-Progress Shuttle here:
Screenshot_20200711-230906.png

Knowing that now we can't use parts below fairings, I installed the docking mechanism (in this example, the 6-wide docking ports outside the door).
_20200712_175006.JPG

(sorry for the bad quality of the image)

First, I touch the Fairing to detach it, then the docking port, and voilá, the door in open. Yes, is that simple.
Screenshot_20200711-230951.png

Now, for this specific payload, I need a little more space, So I have to move the door to other position. Notice I have installed the fuel tank and the RCS on the door outside the covered region, this way I can move the door and refuel it anytime needed.
Screenshot_20200712-034231.png

Okay, now the door is fully opened!
Screenshot_20200712-034257.png

Now to detach the payload. Well, it turns up that parts that are half-in and half-out of the Fairing still work. This is why this 6wide docking port still works.

Now the payload is totally free!
Screenshot_20200712-034316.png

Time to close the door. I just have to detach it from where it is and move it to its original position.
Screenshot_20200712-034428.png

Screenshot_20200712-034434.png
There! Mission Completed.
Well, guys, hope this tutorial helps a little. Feel free to ask any questions in the thread below.

Attachments

Jez 10

Local Expert Pinoy
ET phone home
Floater
Man on the Moon
Registered
Ah thanks...

Now I can work around prototype alteration #3, then finally use it for #space-base...

Cresign

Spiller of the Milky Way • Rocket Gluer
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Can you post blueprint?