About engine editing

When building, say, a bigg rocket or an SSTO, would any of you consider it cheating if I BP edit a Grasshopper or a Broadsword engine so it lifts like crazy but uses up very little fuel?

Marmilo

Retired Staff / Scale Inspector
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
My only rocket that uses it is my very old antares replika (not in scale)

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
When building, say, a bigg rocket or an SSTO, would any of you consider it cheating if I BP edit a Grasshopper or a Broadsword engine so it lifts like crazy but uses up very little fuel?
If the goal is to be sfs-realistic, yeah that's cheating.
We DO NOT use stretched engines, so that everyone is on the same playing field when competing with each other..
Exceptions exist for artistic rockets.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
You don't need to. Aside from using them for a look (like the IPR), the games standard engines are more than enough to lift anything you can build.
Stretching pretty much makes them OP beyond need, the game world isn't that hard to defeat.

Alright, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks everyone!
I just discovered engine editing a few days ago and went ham with it, now my rocket gets to the edge of the solar system with half fuel on the first stage :/.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Mate, it's your rocket and picture, you do what you like.

Try not stretching the engines and seeing how the game actually is, get to those limits before going further.

But wait, what if I just stretched the fuel tanks so the delta v stays the same?

It still counts, doesn't it?
Nope. The dv changes on stretched engines cos it doubles thrust without affecting fuel consumption. This practically doubles the engine efficiency to a level that even real world engines struggle to hit, never mind ones in a 1:20 scale solar system.

For example, it turns Titan into an F-1 with the sea level efficiency of a vacuum J-2.

Making the fuel tanks bigger wont change the dv overmatch that much as you're increasing fuel mass and your Dv will increase drastically became of that.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
What if I add dead weight to the bottom?
You'd need so much deadweight/dry mass (something like 300tons per titan engine) that you may as well not bother using stretched engines.

What do you need them for? The larger plume effects?

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
No, I just wondered how much I could lift with a Grasshopper stretched tenfold. Yeah, ludicrous, I know.
Wait no, I wasn't using a Titan engine, I used Grasshoppers.
Kinda makes it worse when considering the comment above dunnit?
Per engine, 9600kN thrust, 2448.9 second specific impulse.

And BP editing fuel tanks to clip into each other is OK, right? Or am I just missing the point here?
Overlapping/rotating tanks is fine, as long as they're standard sized. They still weigh the same regardless of clipping/overlap

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
And BP editing fuel tanks to clip into each other is OK, right? Or am I just missing the point here?
Overlapping tanks isn't too bad.
Look, you can do what you want on your personal game.
But! If you want to show off your rocket on this forum:

No flying with gravity off, drag off, infinite fuel or unbreakable parts. (0-gee launchpad assembly is ok though)

We prefer rockets that work with fixed drag on.
(For challenges, that's mandatory)

We are most impressed by non-bp edited rockets. Overlapping parts isn't too bad though.

And unless it's a huge fictional spaceship, then it definitely shouldn't have stretched engines.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
OK.
By the way, what are your opinions about this? I tried going for a more fuel efficient Lander, but I think this overkill.
Unless you're landing on a black hole, yes it's very much over-kill.
It looks good, but the ions are...a bit much.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
OK.
By the way, what are your opinions about this? I tried going for a more fuel efficient Lander, but I think this overkill.
Hate to say it, but that's ridiculous.
If it didn't have stretched ion engines, it'd be ok.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
It can't really lift without stretched ion engines. I don't want to sound pretentious by that statement by the way.
That's the perks of balanced gameplay. Ions are designed how they are specifically so they can't be used as a lift engine.
Otherwise you'd never need to use any other engine anywhere.