Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Hi,

Today I'd like to show you an advanced space driving technique, that allows to save fuel if used properly. It's based on Oberth effect, that sounds counterintuitive at first, but you probably already used without being aware of it.

For those who are not familiar with this, I will use the acronym SOI that means "Sphere Of Influence".

What is the Oberth effect

The Oberth effect is simply the fact that burning when you are next to a planet (or any body) will have a greater impact on your trajectory than if you burnt far from that planet.
The Oberth maneuver consists simply in exploiting that effect to your advantage.

For example, when your ship is in LEO and you aim for the Moon, you burn in the transfer window until your trajectory enters the Moon's SOI right? Congratulations, you've just used the Oberth maneuver!
Indeed, another strategy could be to raise slightly your apoapsis, and to circularize your orbit before going higher. Because you would lose the Oberth effect doing so, this would actually consume more fuel in the end.

The consequence is that when you are on a high orbit and you want to modify your trajectory, it can be interesting to first lower your periapsis, and then perform your maneuver when you have reached it. What sounds counterintuitive is that it's true even if you mean to go higher!

I'll show you with an example.

Example

Let's say you have that ship, which is orbiting the Earth at the same height as the Moon:
01-ship.jpg 02-orbit.jpg
We want to send that ship as close as possible to the Sun. So we want it in Sun orbit, and to lower the periapsis as much as possible. The apoapsis will stay at the Earth level.
For this we are going to test several strategies. To compare them, we will watch the periapsis in the end of course, but what is more representative is the speed at the apoapsis.
Indeed, the Earth orbits the Sun at 4650 m/s, and the ship has a delta-V of 2738 m/s. So at first, we can legitimately expect that in the end, our speed at the Earth level won't be lower than 1912 m/s (the difference).

Let's see this.

FIRST STRATEGY: the deep space maneuver

This strategy consists in burning just enough to quit the Earth's SOI, and to burn retrograde once we are in solar orbit. Here is the result of this maneuver:
03-try1.jpg 04-try1 result.jpg

Our periapsis is 248.47 Mm, and our speed is 1896 m/s at the apoapsis. Strangely, this is slightly lower than the 1912 m/s predicted...
Now, let's try something else.

SECOND STRATEGY: the direct burn

Now, let's keep things simple, and let's burn directly from our position until we have no fuel left:
05-try2.jpg 06-try2 2.jpg 07-try2 result.jpg

In the end, our periapsis is 171.00 Mm, and the speed at the apoapsis is 1600 m/s. This is significantly better than before, as this is nearly 300 m/s lower.
But can we do better? Now, let's make a last tentative!

THIRD STRATEGY: the Oberth maneuver

Now, we are going to test a strategy that sounds crazy at first: instead of burning prograde, we'll first burn retrograde to adjust the periapsis at the Earth level:
08-try3.jpg
What have we done??! We've just wasted fuel! :eek:
Wait, let's try that Oberth maneuver now. Once we reach the periapsis, we burn everything we have, and here is the result:
09-try3 2.jpg 10-try3 result.jpg
And our periapsis is finally at 2731 km, our speed at the apoapsis is 521 m/s! We nearly reached the Sun surface! This is clearly better.

Conclusion

From the 3 strategies, the Oberth maneuver was by far the best one. Remember, we expected a speed of 1912 m/s at the apoapsis. The first strategy gave practically this result, the second one allowed to gain 296 m/s, and the Oberth maneuver 1375 m/s.
The reason why we finally achieved a better speed than expected in the first 2 cases is because even at the Moon level we benefit from a reduced Oberth effect.

Now you are aware of that possibility, try to use it at your advantage during your missions! :)

Last edited:

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Now, let's see an illustration in practice, with a Deimos way and back mission.
For that mission, I'll use that simple rocket:
01-rocket.jpg

The beginning of the mission is classical: I first reach LEO, and put my ship onto a transfer trajectory to Mars thanks to the transfer windows. Note that this is a first use of the Oberth effect.
02-transfer to Mars.jpg

As my target is Deimos, I could try to aim directly for it... But it would be sad not to benefit from the Oberth effect from Mars right?
So I'll adjust my trajectory so that I get close to Mars:
03-Mars arrival.jpg 04-Mars retroburn.jpg
Indeed, the Oberth maneuver also works when you want to brake! Of course, I didn't lower my apoapsis below Deimos orbit. Then, I just have to encounter Deimos with a clasical rendez-vous, and land on it:
05-landed on Deimos.jpg

Now the return part. I could quit Deimos and leave directly to Earth, but remember, there is a more efficient way! Just because the transfer window would not appear, I left Deimos and left my ship orbit at the same level.
Then when I'm about to enter the transfer window, I lower my periapsis at Mars level. I do it so that the transfer window is located at the periapsis, otherwise it's useless:
06-ready to return.jpg 07-transfer window.jpg 08-reduced orbit.jpg

Then I burn in the transfer window (it's not perfectly located at the periapsis, but that's not a problem), and leave directly to Earth:
09-injection burn.jpg 10-back to Earth.jpg

End of the mission. In the end, I used 3 times the Oberth maneuver.
Of course, that's an easy destination, and it's perfectly possible to do this without using that maneuver (the differrence won't be significative to be honest), but remember that some destinations could be more difficult in the future! ;)

Last edited:

Danny Batten

Sanctor **《T》** MT/SP/TE/ Governor of Terra SOI
Professor
Registered
Hi,

Today I'd like to show you an advanced space driving technic, that allows to save fuel if used properly. It's based on Oberth effect, that sounds counterintuitive at first, but you probably already used without being aware of it.

For those who are not familiar with this, I will use the acronym SOI that means "Sphere Of Influence".

What is the Oberth effect

The Oberth effect is simply the fact that burning when you are next to a planet (or any body) will have a greater impact on your trajectory than if you burnt far from that planet.
The Oberth maneuver consists simply in exploiting that effect to your advantage.

For example, when your ship is in LEO and you aim for the Moon, you burn in the transfer window until your trajectory enters the Moon's SOI right? Congratulations, you've just used the Oberth maneuver!
Indeed, another strategy could be to raise slightly your apoapsis, and to circularize your orbit before going higher. Because you would lose the Oberth effect doing so, this would actually consume more fuel in the end.

The consequence is that when you are on a high orbit and you want to modify your trajectory, it can be interesting to first lower your periapsis, and then perform your maneuver when you have reached it. What sounds counterintuitive is that it's true even if you mean to go higher!

I'll show you with an example.

Example

Let's say you have that ship, which is orbiting the Earth at the same height as the Moon:
View attachment 5362 View attachment 5363
We want to send that ship as close as possible to the Sun. So we want it in Sun orbit, and to lower the periapsis as much as possible. The apoapsis will stay at the Earth level.
For this we are going to test several strategies. To compare them, we will watch the periapsis in the end of course, but what is more representative is the speed at the apoapsis.
Indeed, the Earth orbits the Sun at 4650 m/s, and the ship has a delta-V of 2738 m/s. So at first, we can legitimately expect that in the end, our speed at the Earth level won't be lower than 1912 m/s (the difference).

Let's see this.

FIRST STRATEGY: the deep space maneuver

This strategy consists in burning just enough to quit the Earth's SOI, and to burn retrograde once we are in solar orbit. Here is the result of this maneuver:
View attachment 5364 View attachment 5365

Our periapsis is 248.47 Mm, and our speed is 1896 m/s at the apoapsis. Strangely, this is slightly lower than the 1912 m/s predicted...
Now, let's try something else.

SECOND STRATEGY: the direct burn

Now, let's keep things simple, and let's burn directly from our position until we have no fuel left:
View attachment 5366 View attachment 5367 View attachment 5368

In the end, our periapsis is 171.00 Mm, and the speed at the apoapsis is 1600 m/s. This is significantly better than before, as this is nearly 300 m/s lower.
But can we do better? Now, let's make a last tentative!

THIRD STRATEGY: the Oberth maneuver

Now, we are going to test a strategy that sounds crazy at first: instead of burning prograde, we'll first burn retrograde to adjust the periapsis at the Earth level:
View attachment 5369
What have we done??! We've just wasted fuel! :eek:
Wait, let's try that Oberth maneuver now. Once we reach the periapsis, we burn everything we have, and here is the result:
View attachment 5370 View attachment 5371
And our periapsis is finally at 2731 km, our speed at the apoapsis is 521 m/s! We nearly reached the Sun surface! This is clearly better.

Conclusion

From the 3 strategies, the Oberth maneuver was by far the best one. Remember, we expected a speed of 1912 m/s at the apoapsis. The first strategy gave practically this result, the second one allowed to gain 296 m/s, and the Oberth maneuver 1375 m/s.
The reason why we finally achieved a better speed than expected in the first 2 cases is because even at the Moon level we benefit from a reduced Oberth effect.

Now you are aware of that possibility, try to use it at your advantage during your missions! :)
Wow thanks man. Your truly a master of this game

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Master Yoda, please teach me the ways of the Force...
To masterize the gravity, the Oberth maneuver you'll have to learn, and the gravity assist you'll have to practice.
May the ISP be with you! :p

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Thank you all for the positive returns! :cool:
Just to complete the demonstration, I redid the Deimos mission, without using the Oberth maneuver on Mars this time.
Here is the result:
end_mission.jpg
As I said, that's an easy mission, so the difference is not huge, but still noticeable.

Matt

Registered
If it's worth rasing your apoapsis before lowering your periapsis if you want to get close to the sun, but it's worth lowering your periapsis if you want to raise your apoapsis, how do you decide what order to do things in?

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
If it's worth rasing your apoapsis before lowering your periapsis if you want to get close to the sun, but it's worth lowering your periapsis if you want to raise your apoapsis, how do you decide what order to do things in?
That question sounds like a trap at first, but it's a very interesting one. :p
Raising the apoapsis first to decrease your periapsis more easily is a technic called the bi-elliptic transfer. It's worth it if there is an important difference between your original orbit height and the final one. The ratio between the initial and final orbit must be at least 12:1 for this to be a viable strategy, and even then, this will generally save very little fuel.

In the case of the Sun though, this ratio is huge, so it may be a viable technic. So, let's try it!

Fourth strategy: Oberth maneuver + bi-elliptic transfer

Now, instead of aiming directly for the Sun, let's try to first put the ship onto a highly elliptic orbit around the Sun. For this, I'll first lower my periapsis around Earth to benefit from the Oberth effect:
Screenshot_20180829-131214_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
Then, when I'm at the periapsis, I burn prograde to get onto an elliptic orbit:
Screenshot_20180829-131322_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20180829-131419_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
The higher you go, the more efficient it will be (but also the longer) :p
Now, I just time warp and wait until I've reached the apoapsis (which is practically at Saturn level :eek:). Once I'm there, I burn retrograde until my periapsis is at the Sun level:
Screenshot_20180829-131608_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20180829-131817_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
Victory! We have reached the Sun surface! And we even have some fuel left!
I'll burn the rest of the fuel at the periapsis to reduce the apoapsis and see how low we can go:
Screenshot_20180829-132314_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
Finally it's below Mercury level. That's really good!

I must admit I didn't think about that possibility first (even if the purpose of the thread was firstly to talk about the Oberth effect). Thank you very much for this @Matt :)

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Ah yeah, why not, thanks Danny :)
Actually it's already referenced in my gravitational slingshot thread, which is pinned.
Wow that's my third pinned thread! :cool:

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Ah yeah, why not, thanks Danny :)
Actually it's already referenced in my gravitational slingshot thread, which is pinned.
Wow that's my third pinned thread! :cool:
You're the teacher of SFS. All your lessons should be pinned, they are an excellent reference for people who don't know much about rocketry or Space Maneuvering, like me when I started playing this game a long ago... And If I've managed to dominate every aspect of space Maneuvering like you told me once, Its because of your threads. Thank you.

Lt. Snakestrike

The Kronian Serpent; Engineering Student
Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Yeah, same here. If it weren't for your stuff, especially the Grav assists, I wouldn't have even come close to the work I've done, and am going to do, around Saturn.

Bananas

Mr. Nice Moderator
Registered
You're the teacher of SFS. All your lessons should be pinned, they are an excellent reference for people who don't know much about rocketry or Space Maneuvering, like me when I started playing this game a long ago... And If I've managed to dominate every aspect of space Maneuvering like you told me once, Its because of your threads. Thank you.
;) don't wanna spoil new changes