Aero Trajectory

pixelgaming579

Modder
Registered
Aero Trajectory
Download - Source

A mod that adds accurately simulated trajectories for atmospheric flight!

Changelog
  • v1.1
    • Compatibility with Altaïr's Gliding Heatshields mod.
    • Settings window implementation through UI Tools.
  • v1.2
    • Fixed the "Gliding Heatshields Forces" setting.
  • v1.3
    • Fixed a NaN value error when attempting to calculate the trajectory of a hyperbolic orbit.
  • v1.4
    • Added heating simulation.
Settings
  • Simulation
    • "Step Size" - Determines the 'resolution' (timestep) of the simulation. Lower number = more precise, but also more resource-intensive.
    • "Iterations" - The number of steps done be the simulation. If your trajectory abruptly ends, increase this setting.
    • "Simulation Type" - Changes the 'drag profile' of trajectory shown:
      • Prograde - The drag profile of your rocket if it was moving prograde.
      • Retrograde - The drag profile of your rocket if it was moving retrograde (e.g. a re-entering capsule).
      • Current Angle (default) - The drag profile of your rocket at its current angle.
      • Min-Max Range - Shows the trajectories of both the minimum and maximum drag profiles of your rocket.
  • Trajectory
    • "Main Color" - The color of the trajectory (& escape orbit) line.
    • "Dashed Line" - Switches between a dashed or solid line for the trajectory.
    • "Show Escape Orbit" - If set to true, shows your rocket's actual orbit if it leaves the atmosphere.
  • Heating
    • "Low Color" - The color of the trajectory segment where 'Low Heat Tolerance' (>400°C) parts will break (most parts).
    • "Mid Color" - The color of the trajectory segment where 'Mid Heat Tolerance' (>1000°C) parts will break.
    • "High Color" - The color of the trajectory segment where 'High Heat Tolerance' (>6000°C) parts will break (heat shields).
    • "Real Max Temperature" - If set to true, heating trajectory segments will use the real max temperature values at which parts actually break (1.03 * maxTemperature).
  • Misc.
    • "Gliding Heatshields Forces" - If Altaïr's Gliding Heatshields mod is installed and this setting is enabled, the trajectory will also take the added lift force of heatshields into account.
Perfect for precise crashing (or landing)...
Screen Shot 2024-05-07 at 22.52.48.png

Or perfect aero-braking.
Screen Shot 2024-05-07 at 22.53.05.png

Last edited:

Axiom

He who asks ten thousand questions
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
-Cries in mobile
Anyways, how did you calculate the trajectory of the object? And does it calculate if you're going to burn up on reentry?

Dahzito

Amateur Astronomer / Future Astrophysicist
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I was also wondering how it will fair with that one
does this compatible with Gliding heat shields mod?
I think it's, was testing this mod now with a reusable rocket and when landing the first stage of my rocket and using the aerodynamics to change the trajectory, the AeroTrajectory mod was showing then where I was going to land.
Also, it's a great mod, love it!

Lemniscate Biscuit

ㅤㅤHelp DeskㅤㅤRL10 Expert
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
MOTY 2023
Aero Trajectory
Download- Source

A mod that adds accurately simulated trajectories for atmospheric flight!

Settings (changed through settings.txt in the mod's folder)
  • "simulationStepSize" (number) - Determines the 'resolution' (timestep) of the simulation. Higher number = less precise, but also less resource-intensive.
  • "simulationIterations" (integer) - The number of steps done be the simulation. If your trajectory abruptly ends, increase this setting.
  • "simulationType" (enum) - Changes the 'drag profile' of trajectory shown:
    • 0 - The drag profile of your rocket if it was moving prograde.
    • 1 - The drag profile of your rocket if it was moving retrograde (e.g. a re-entering capsule).
    • 2 (default) - The drag profile of your rocket at its current angle.
    • 3 - Shows the trajectories of both the minimum and maximum drag profiles of your rocket.
  • "trajectoryColor" (color) - The color of the trajectory line.
  • "trajectoryDashedLine" (bool) - Switches between a dashed or solid line for the trajectory.
  • "showEscapeOrbit" (bool) - If set to true, shows your rocket's actual orbit if it leaves the atmosphere.
Perfect for precise crashing (or landing)...
View attachment 118562

Or perfect aero-braking.
View attachment 118563
Sweet Jesus...

pixelgaming579

Modder
Registered
does this compatible with Gliding heat shields mod?
It would work, but the trajectory would constantly change whilst the rocket is in the atmosphere since the mod doesn't know that that force is ever being applied (although I may see if I can check if Gliding Heatshields is installed and add it as a force in the simulation for a possible update).

EDIT: The mod is now compatible with Gliding Heatshields.

Last edited:

Darthan

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Registered
I've tried it out, works well. Here is an example of a Mars landing:

DescentOrbit1.PNG
DescentOrbit2.PNG

With the the gliding hear shields mod and the SAS mod, by changing the orientatation a few degrees off retrograde you can fine tune the landing point as you get closer. For my first try (this one) I got the lander down about 7km away from the target (in Realistic). I drove a rover to the target to get a measure of the distance:
DropRover.PNG

RoverInPosition.PNG

Two tries later I managed to get within 3.3km of the target:
Rover4InPosition.PNG

Note for the reusablity challange for Team Hawk you need to be within about 800m-200m to land on the flat area next to the launchpad. I managed this atfer a few attempts before this mod came out. The mod should make that easier.