Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I realized I never made a project thread myself, so here is one for my crazy usual stuff :p
So here is one.

I'll start with something simple and totally casual. I suppose that you remember that ship right?
01-Ship.jpg
If you already tried that mighty Mercury mission from team Hawk you necessarily recognize it. Well, it's practically identical, the probe is not on the same place, but it has the same characteristics.
The mission is usually to land on Mercury with this thing, but I'll try to go as far as I can with it. But the first thing is to land it on Mercury obviously!

I'll do this under the rules with those mods enabled: SmartSAS, Vanilla Upgrades, and ANAIS.

Logically, when you go to Mercury, you start aiming for Venus:
02-EarthDeparture.jpg

The burn is done over two passes to gain efficiency, and I'm on the road to Venus:
03-DepartureBurn.jpg 04-OberthManeuver.jpg 05-DepartureBurnOver.jpg

The plan is to chain 2 gravity assists with Venus, because a single one is not enough to send my ship towards Mercury. So another encounter is planned 4 turns after the first one:
06-VenusEncounter1.jpg

Unfortunately, even the 2nd slingshot wasn't enough, my periapsis is still above Mercury orbit, and I can't lower it more:
07-VenusSlingshot.jpg

That will be easily fixed: once at the periapsis I burn to raise my apoapsis to cross again Venus with a slight angle, and an encounter is planned again:
08-AdjustVenus3rdEncounter.jpg

Finally all good, I can finall encounter Mercury and start a series of gravity assists:
09-VenusLastSlingshot.jpg 10-MercuryEncounterPlanned.jpg 11-MercuryFirstSlingshot.jpg 12-MercurySecondSlingshot.jpg

For the last encounter, the trajectory is made tangent to Mercury's orbit to lower the next encounter's ΔV requirements:
13-FinalEncounterPlanned.jpg

And finally...
14-MercuryOrbit.jpg 15-MercuryOrbit.jpg

The ship is satellized in Low Mercury Orbit with 39.5% of fuel remaining. It means that I now have 2038.8 m/s of remaining ΔV from the initial 3597.3 m/s.
I have only spent 1558.5 m/s. For reference, according to ANAIS, a direct transfer in optimal configuration would have costed 2610.6 m/s:
16-DirectTransfer.jpg
So this allowed me to save 1052 m/s of ΔV. In theory, probably more in practice :eek:

To be continued!

Orion

Nuclear bombs in space, die-hard WALL-E fan.
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Well, I hope no one had a record for this they were proud of.

S

Sportgus

I realized I never made a project thread myself, so here is one for my crazy usual stuff :p
So here is one.

I'll start with something simple and totally casual. I suppose that you remember that ship right?
View attachment 109834
If you already tried that mighty Mercury mission from team Hawk you necessarily recognize it. Well, it's practically identical, the probe is not on the same place, but it has the same characteristics.
The mission is usually to land on Mercury with this thing, but I'll try to go as far as I can with it. But the first thing is to land it on Mercury obviously!

I'll do this under the rules with those mods enabled: SmartSAS, Vanilla Upgrades, and ANAIS.

View attachment 109835

The burn is done over two passes to gain efficiency, and I'm on the road to Venus:
View attachment 109836 View attachment 109837 View attachment 109838

The plan is to chain 2 gravity assists with Venus, because a single one is not enough to send my ship towards Mercury. So another encounter is planned 4 turns after the first one:
View attachment 109839

Unfortunately, even the 2nd slingshot wasn't enough, my periapsis is still above Mercury orbit, and I can't lower it more:
View attachment 109840

That will be easily fixed: once at the periapsis I burn to raise my apoapsis to cross again Venus with a slight angle, and an encounter is planned again:
View attachment 109841

Finally all good, I can finall encounter Mercury and start a series of gravity assists:
View attachment 109842 View attachment 109843 View attachment 109844 View attachment 109845

For the last encounter, the trajectory is made tangent to Mercury's orbit to lower the next encounter's ΔV requirements:
View attachment 109846

And finally...
View attachment 109847 View attachment 109848

The ship is satellized in Low Mercury Orbit with 39.5% of fuel remaining. It means that I now have 2038.8 m/s of remaining ΔV from the initial 3597.3 m/s.
I have only spent 1558.5 m/s. For reference, according to ANAIS, a direct transfer in optimal configuration would have costed 2610.6 m/s:
View attachment 109849
So this allowed me to save 1052 m/s of ΔV. In theory, probably more in practice :eek:

To be continued!
And all of us were making it with single percentages of fuel :eek:

Orion

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
And all of us were making it with single percentages of fuel :eek:
He hasn't landed yet though, but his fuel percentage is like twice what mine was and mine was a worse orbit.

S

Sportgus

He hasn't landed yet though, but his fuel percentage is like twice what mine was and mine was a worse orbit.
Yeah I was in a weird state, but he definitely will make it with a lot more than all of us did

Orion

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Yeah I was in a weird state, but he definitely will make it with a lot more than all of us did
Was there ever any question about that? He'll probably space stig his way out of the solar system.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Here are the next developments.

At first I wanted to know how much I saved with my gravity assists compared to a direct transfer, so I simulated a direct transfer...
1-UnderPressureDirectTransfer.jpg 2-UnderPressureDirectTransfer.jpg 3-UnderPressureDirectTransfer.jpg 4-UnderPressureDirectTransfer.jpg
I ended up in orbit with 13.5% of fuel, which corresponds to 891.6 m/s of remaining ΔV, instead of 2038.8 m/s, so I saved 1147.2 m/s of ΔV.
Not bad, but this isn't the worst! Because with that 13.5% remaining I thought that I should be able to land. So I tried...

5-UnderPressureDirectTransfer.jpg
... And this worked!!!

ANAIS allows to complete this challenge without gravity assists! :eek:
I swear I already tried that before, it never worked, I was not even close. I created a monster!

But back to my original attempt.
I'll try to do that while spending as little fuel as possible, so I lowered my periapsis close to the ground to perform the braking maneuver at the lowest possible level:
01-descent.jpg 02-braking.jpg

The landing was absolutely epic:
03-landing.gif

Don't worry, it took me many tries to manage that...
Finally:
04-landed.jpg
23.1% of remaining fuel. Not bad I guess :p

OK, now that the easy part is done, let the fun begin, let's go back to orbit!
Oh, and for once I'll find a use for those solar panels:
05-take-off.gif

And I finally reach orbit with...
06-backToOrbit.jpg
10.8% of fuel, which corresponds to 736.5 m/s of ΔV. That should be enough to try a few interesting things!
I'll continue this tomorrow...

Orion

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Here are the next developments.

At first I wanted to know how much I saved with my gravity assists compared to a direct transfer, so I simulated a direct transfer...
View attachment 109860 View attachment 109861 View attachment 109862 View attachment 109863
I ended up in orbit with 13.5% of fuel, which corresponds to 891.6 m/s of remaining ΔV, instead of 2038.8 m/s, so I saved 1147.2 m/s of ΔV.
Not bad, but this isn't the worst! Because with that 13.5% remaining I thought that I should be able to land. So I tried...

View attachment 109866
... And this worked!!!

ANAIS allows to complete this challenge without gravity assists! :eek:
I swear I already tried that before, it never worked, I was not even close. I created a monster!

But back to my original attempt.
I'll try to do that while spending as little fuel as possible, so I lowered my periapsis close to the ground to perform the braking maneuver at the lowest possible level:
View attachment 109867 View attachment 109868

The landing was absolutely epic:
View attachment 109870
Don't worry, it took me many tries to manage that...
Finally:
View attachment 109873
23.1% of remaining fuel. Not bad I guess :p

OK, now that the easy part is done, let the fun begin, let's go back to orbit!
Oh, and for once I'll find a use for those solar panels:
View attachment 109875

And I finally reach orbit with...
View attachment 109876
10.8% of fuel, which corresponds to 736.5 m/s of ΔV. That should be enough to try a few interesting things!
I'll continue this tomorrow...
Enough for VEEGA to Jupiter perhaps?

Lemniscate Biscuit

ㅤㅤHelp DeskㅤㅤRL10 Expert
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
MOTY 2023
So here is one.

View attachment 109834

View attachment 109835

View attachment 109836 View attachment 109837 View attachment 109838

View attachment 109839

View attachment 109840

View attachment 109841

View attachment 109842 View attachment 109843 View attachment 109844 View attachment 109845

View attachment 109846

And finally...
View attachment 109847 View attachment 109848

View attachment 109849

To be continued!
Dude is insane.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Enough for VEEGA to Jupiter perhaps?
Yep. The hardest part will be to reach Venus, but once it's done I can reach practically everything.

Orion

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
OK, time to come back!

The first step is to reach Venus, but now I don't have enough fuel anymore to reach it via a direct transfer. Well, technically, I found a transfer that could work:
00-BestOpportunity.jpg 001-TestDirectTransfer.jpg
With the 736.5 m/s I have left I can barely do it. I can reach Venus that way, but this leaves me with no more than 22 m/s of ΔV. Fortunately, there is a more efficient method.

First I'll burn just enough to leave Mercury...
01-LeavingMercury.jpg 02-LeavingMercury.jpg

Then once in solar orbit I lower my perihelion to cross Mercury's orbit with an angle. Then it's just a matter of chaining the gravity assists:
03-EncounterPlanned.jpg 04-Slingshot1.jpg 05-Slingshot1.jpg

That wasn't very efficient, but I can lower my perihelion a bit more a play that game again:
06-Encounter2.jpg 07-Encounter2.jpg 08-CloseFlyBy.jpg
Nice fly-by :cool:

Then again and again...
09-Encounter3.jpg 10-Encounter3.jpg 11-Encounter4.jpg 12-Encounter4.jpg 13-CloseFlyBy.jpg
Another nice fly-by.
What's funny is that if you compare my speed between the 2 fly-bys I showed, there's a difference of 547 m/s, but I only spent 146 m/s between those. The magic of gravity assists :cool:

But I'm still not done, I need another one...
14-Encounter5.jpg 15-Encounter5.jpg

OK, just another one...
16-Slingshot5.jpg 17-Encounter6.jpg

Finally!
18-Finally.jpg
I finally reached Venus level! The hardest part is done, but at what price... Now I only have 117.4 m/s left.o_O
I'll have to rely on really cheap encounters from now on.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Time to bring back that ship to Earth!

Thanks to my previous work, I can get a very cheap encounter with Venus:
01-VenusEncounter.jpg

Then, even before the encounter, I can plan the following one, to chain 2 gravity assists with Venus:
02-VenusEncounter.jpg 03-DoubleEncounter.jpg
Isn't that beautiful? :cool:

Now I'm on my way to Earth. Guess who will make it back home from Mercury?
04-NextPath.jpg 05-EarthEncounter.jpg

Home sweet home! :cool:
06-BackHome.jpg

A very good end for a ship that made suffer so many players :D

Orion

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
What! No VEEGA?

Lemniscate Biscuit

ㅤㅤHelp DeskㅤㅤRL10 Expert
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
MOTY 2023
Time to bring back that ship to Earth!

Thanks to my previous work, I can get a very cheap encounter with Venus:
View attachment 109934

Then, even before the encounter, I can plan the following one, to chain 2 gravity assists with Venus:
View attachment 109935 View attachment 109936
Isn't that beautiful? :cool:

Now I'm on my way to Earth. Guess who will make it back home from Mercury?
View attachment 109937 View attachment 109938

Home sweet home! :cool:
View attachment 109939
A very good end for a ship that made suffer so many players :D
How.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Don't worry, it was just for the pleasure of making burn that ship :p

I thought that it deserved a gif. Watch that cursed ship burning and dying painfully!
BurnEarth.gif

The magic of gravity assists :)

But let's go back to our Earth fly-by...
01-FlyByEarth.jpg 02-FlyByEarthMoon.jpg
On the first fly-by I can already predict the next one... and make a fly-by of the Moon for the same price.

Surprisingly the second Earth encounter doesn't bring me high enough, I'll need another one.
03-SecondEarthEncounter.jpg 04-EarthGravityAssist.jpg

Now that's good. But as I waited for an encounter for Jupiter, look at who came into my way:
05-MarsEncounter.jpg
Mars! Good, I'll use this opportunity to make a fly-by of the only planet I wouldn't have visited otherwise. Fortunately that fly-by allows me to adjust my trajectory to get a sooner encounter with Jupiter, so all good.
06-MarsFlyBy.jpg 07-Adjusting.jpg

Cursed ship! Suffer and die painfully!!!
BurnMars.gif

And now my final gravity assist before continuing towards infinity and beyond...
08-JupiterGravityAssist.jpg 09-GanymedeFlyBy.jpg

Oh yeah, I had an opportunity to land on Ganymede, so I gave it a try.
GanymedeLanding.gif

Well, it says landed. And I only broke a solar panel, so just one more challenge.
Erm, I mean... Let's make a fly-by instead.
GanymedeFlyBy.gif

"Hey, isn't that Gany... Whoah!"

And finally...
10-ToEternity.jpg
On such a trajectory and given how much fuel I have left now there's absolutely no chance I come back. Bye-bye cursed ship! :D

Mooncrasher how is that Mercury challenge supposed to be hard?! What if we moved it to team Titan instead?

Orion

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Mooncrasher how is that Mercury challenge supposed to be hard?! What if we moved it to team Titan instead?
:mad:

In all seriousness, it isn't hard, just time consuming. I mean, I doubt I could get to Jupiter that easily.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
:mad:

In all seriousness, it isn't hard, just time consuming. I mean, I doubt I could get to Jupiter that easily.
I knew that my proposal would be popular :p

The original challenge isn't that hard if you know the technique, but ANAIS makes things incredibly easier, I couldn't have done all that without it to be honest.

Orion

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Thank heavens for mods.

Noor Nehan

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
I knew that my proposal would be popular :p

The original challenge isn't that hard if you know the technique, but ANAIS makes things incredibly easier, I couldn't have done all that without it to be honest.
Self Promotion moment:p