Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
It is if you have enough sattalights
It depends on how much satellites you require and how close they have to be from the Sun. If having 6 satellites evenly dispatched at Mercury level is ok, then it certainly is doable. But if you expect people to send hundreds of satellites orbiting close to the Sun you can be pretty sure nobody will attempt it.

I suggest that you give a try at one of Blazer's challenge, the Icarus dive that consisted in getting as close to the Sun as possible, you'll see it's not that easy:
https://jmnet.one/sfs/forum/index.php?threads/icarus-dive.3005/

Last edited:

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
or even harder build a box that surrounds the sun
A box. Around the Sun. Really?!

It’s not impossible
Go on then. If it's doable, build a dyson swarm around the Sun. I'll believe it when I see it.
Remember, a pre-requisite of setting a challenge here is that you're capable of doing it yourself. Negates two things.
1) bullshit impossible challenges
2) plagiarism.

T

TtTOtW

Unamed. If you can surround the Sun with more than 1000 satellites on EXACTLY the same orbit, then I'll beat that. Until then, I'm not participating. And it must be at least 15m wide satellites (30 blocks). Please if you're gonna do it, do it right.

Spent way too much time making a nifty flower petal orbit system quite some time ago, think there’s 3 or 6 or 9(?) in very close and wide orbit and the rest in a tighter pattern;
Been thinking about sending in a battleship and making war on it :D
695436EF-6970-45CF-91D6-B0E24B02E31D.png
B0729066-1FD0-4B15-B30E-CD277835002B.png
925DE521-ED25-4CEE-A33B-702B2C005AF8.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Unamed. If you can surround the Sun with more than 1000 satellites on EXACTLY the same orbit, then I'll beat that. Until then, I'm not participating. And it must be at least 15m wide satellites (30 blocks). Please if you're gonna do it, do it right.
Fuck, if he can do more than 10, I'll match it.

Danny Batten

Sanctor **《T》** MT/SP/TE/ Governor of Terra SOI
Professor
Registered
or even harder build a box that surrounds the sun
Thats physically impossible, due to when your craft gets longer than 10km the Hitbox fails.
the reason for this is SFS has a physics radius of 5km from the center of your craft, get any furth than that and it has no Hitbox

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Thats physically impossible, due to when your craft gets longer than 10km the Hitbox fails.
the reason for this is SFS has a physics radius of 5km from the center of your craft, get any furth than that and it has no Hitbox
And Danny proved it by doing it! ^^

The Sun has a radius of 31500km. Then add 300km for the atmosphere. So, the tighest sustainable orbit will have a 199805292.7...m circumference. Divide that by 1000 30m wide satellites and you've blocked out 0.015% of the Sun's radiation.

I'm being NICE making the requirement that low.
The Earth is not small after all and the Sun is unimaginable hugeness, I believe both Niven and Dyson expressed the general absurdity of this engineering project, 0.015% easier than terraforming Jupiter

Before you say anything they said nothing about cheats unless the thread rules say so then I'll won't use it. Yea he never stated that infinite fuel was a require ment soooo! See y'all in 2120

Before you say anything they said nothing about cheats unless the thread rules say so then I'll won't use it. Yea he never stated that infinite fuel was a require ment soooo! See y'all in 2120
If you’re going for 1000 sats, I’d say inf fuel away...
But maybe try one load with fuel on, see the max# of whatever sat design you create can get there in a sensible rocket

Flexilis Anatis

Eater of Waterfowl
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
I believe both Niven and Dyson expressed the general absurdity of this engineering project,
Even with a structure like Niven’s Ringworld (essentially a ribbon surrounding the sun, gives many of the benefits of a Dyson spere while cutting down on the size considerably.) it would take many solar systems worth of resources to even build the basic framework, much less add the necessary amenities such as solar panels (why else would you want a ring around the sun?) and the structures to keep the inside face cool.

T

TtTOtW

View attachment 34493 challenge accepted I'll just make a bigbusty rocket with infinite fuel only and a Fuck to of rockets
I'd love to see how far you get. Just for the record, 6660176 satellites will surround the Sun at exactly the edge of the Sun's 300km atmosphere. But keep your apoapsis (apohelion) and periapsis (perihelion) below 310km on all the satellites and I'll take it as close enough. Remember the satellites must be 30m wide (60 blocks)