An extremely large launch vehicle.

Pressurized area is below the payload hangar. I tried to imagine what a mega scale reusable launch vehicle might be like. The top is supposed to be a glass dome, which would be the command center so they can view deployments. I think it’ll put about 7,500 tons in LEO, which is ridiculous and completely unnecessary. But I had fun making it.
IMG_0932.png
IMG_0672.png
IMG_0934.jpeg
IMG_0673.png

mariohobbs

Modder
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
does it use stretched engines or have ye uncovered the secret to unlimited thrust? And if the whole thing is reusable then why is there not any sort of fairing recovery system or reusable fairing system, unless its meant to only have a fairing on its first launch then just live with drag after that?

So first, the engines are definitely very stretched. It was the only way to get it off the ground. It weighs about 70k tons fully loaded. So that would be 200 Titans. Which would weigh another 2400 tons.. definitely was easier to stretch.

For landing it, it’s tricky. rn there’s a giant heat shield that fits alongside the payload, that I rcs around and it clips to the bottom. I have a heat resistant hull worked out, but I’m still working out a belly flop landing. It’s pretty big for a flip maneuver. I was going to do a parachute assisted flip maneuver, and just connect a pack of parachutes each launch, but that didn’t work because staging. So I’ve been just tinkering with the engines to make it just flip like it’s
supposed to. That’s what the angled engines are about. But yeah. Work in progress.

does it use stretched engines or have ye uncovered the secret to unlimited thrust? And if the whole thing is reusable then why is there not any sort of fairing recovery system or reusable fairing system, unless its meant to only have a fairing on its first launch then just live with drag after that?
I meant the comment above as a reply to you. Sorry I’m still getting used to forums.

Axiom

He who asks ten thousand questions
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
So first, the engines are definitely very stretched. It was the only way to get it off the ground. It weighs about 70k tons fully loaded. So that would be 200 Titans. Which would weigh another 2400 tons.. definitely was easier to stretch.

For landing it, it’s tricky. rn there’s a giant heat shield that fits alongside the payload, that I rcs around and it clips to the bottom. I have a heat resistant hull worked out, but I’m still working out a belly flop landing. It’s pretty big for a flip maneuver. I was going to do a parachute assisted flip maneuver, and just connect a pack of parachutes each launch, but that didn’t work because staging. So I’ve been just tinkering with the engines to make it just flip like it’s
supposed to. That’s what the angled engines are about. But yeah. Work in progress.
I would say that you would need to add ballast to compensate for the weight reduction of the stretched titans, but you do you I guess

Popmie

Registered
Pressurized area is below the payload hangar. I tried to imagine what a mega scale reusable launch vehicle might be like. The top is supposed to be a glass dome, which would be the command center so they can view deployments. I think it’ll put about 7,500 tons in LEO, which is ridiculous and completely unnecessary. But I had fun making it.
View attachment 116546 View attachment 116547 View attachment 116548 View attachment 116550
does this thing require cheats to launch? it looks looks like it will explode from the heat of the engine as soon as the rocket launches

Marmilo

Retired Staff / Scale Inspector
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
does this thing require cheats to launch? it looks looks like it will explode from the heat of the engine as soon as the rocket launches
He probably disabled engine heat on the Titans

Axiom

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
If you stretch engines you're also probably going to do that aswell

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
That would make a memorable entry in the Kiloton club. It would be debatable due to stretched engines, but the quality of the design is remarkable, especially for a mobile player that doesn't have access to mods that make bp editing easier.

Axiom

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
even if he added the 2400 tons of ballast needed he would still have ~5,000t to orbit, which would make it one of the largest launch vehicles made since the heating update.

Also It has the rare property (especially among kiloton launchers) of actually looking good

Last edited:

Hawk

ITSA // Ex-MA
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
View attachment 116546 View attachment 116547 View attachment 116548 View attachment 116550
This looks really cool! I love your build style—in all your builds for that matter. It all looks very clean. 7500 tons to orbit is incredible! I wouldn’t say it’s ridiculous though… everything has a good purpose ;)

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
even if he added the 2400 tons of ballast needed he would still have ~5,000t to orbit, which would make it one of the largest launch vehicles made since the heating update.
Yep, that's still honourable, especially that it's also reusable which is a rare quality.

Also It has the rare property (especially among kiloton launchers) of actually looking good
Ha, I can't tell I made a lot in favor of the reputation of kiloton launchers' aesthetics :p

I kinda like how when it launches it looks like it's setting itself on fire
Delta IV Heavy style...

I would say that you would need to add ballast to compensate for the weight reduction of the stretched titans, but you do you I guess
I mean. I’m not opposed to the idea, but what would he the rationale?

If it’s for realism, the way I understand it, a rocket breaks down to 90% fuel/oxidizer, 6% rocket(engines, fins, etc) , and 4% payload So using that as a reference, the weight and then some is already accounted for just by fuel tanks, which are 10% dead weight (X and Y axis is 1).

Yes. I edited heat out of the Titans. I try not to use cheats, but given the size, and the
Well. It did until I read your comment. I had originally edited the heat out of the Titans, and gave myself a pass, because of the size of the rocket. But I just went back and tried a new engine configuration, I figured out how I can remake the engines and put them under a skirt without changing the payload or look of the rocket. This launch is from just now - with unedited Titans.

Attachments

Axiom

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
I mean. I’m not opposed to the idea, but what would he the rationale?

If it’s for realism, the way I understand it, a rocket breaks down to 90% fuel/oxidizer, 6% rocket(engines, fins, etc) , and 4% payload So using that as a reference, the weight and then some is already accounted for just by fuel tanks, which are 10% dead weight (X and Y axis is 1).
With streched engines the thrust increases while the mass doesn't, so if you stretch engines you can get much higher amounts of delta-v as your dry mass is much lower. The rationale is that adding ballast means you don't get the bonus of having significantly less dry mass