Another newbie question for first mars attempt plus when and where do u use Ion engines?

Z

zakcat

I built me a Mars contraption with 2 ion engines i don't know how to use (more on that later) My main question is I picked Mars and I see this arc like the injection arc around the Earth but further in Earth's orbit. Am I supposed to reach this waypoint before trying to burn to Mars? I can't see any way of reaching it.

Second question is at what point would I use Ion engines to help me get to Mars and when in my journey would I use them if at all? I have a
friend who has the same question.

Thanks all. Great community, great sim!

Attachments

T

TtTOtW

The arc is the optimum transfer point so yes wait until you're there. At that point you zoom to earth and you'll see a similar arc in your orbit. Burn prograde when you are in it.

Ion engines I use when I reach Mars Sphere of influence to economically brake my craft and achieve Mars orbit, which is more realistic than aero braking. You must have a battery AND fuel on board for an ion engine and I recommend you also add solar panels or RTG. I see you have already done so. As long as those solar panels are open you don't need a battery actually because the solar panels are enough to run the engines directly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

zakcat

The arc is the optimum transfer point so yes wait until you're there. At that point you zoom to earth and you'll see a similar arc in your orbit. Burn prograde when you are in it.

Ion engines I use when I reach Mars Sphere of influence to economically brake my craft and achieve Mars orbit, which is more realistic than aero braking. You must have a battery AND fuel on board for an ion engine and I recommend you also add solar panels or RTG. I see you have already done so. As long as those solar panels are open you don't need a battery actually because the solar panels are enough to run the engines directly.
TY TOtW but I still can't seem to track how I get to that burn point. If I accelrate time it doesn't seem to move the Earth to that point in Earths orbit. What am I missing? More accelerating of time?

Thanks for the great info.

Danny Batten

Sanctor **《T》** MT/SP/TE/ Governor of Terra SOI
Professor
Registered
TY TOtW but I still can't seem to track how I get to that burn point. If I accelrate time it doesn't seem to move the Earth to that point in Earths orbit. What am I missing? More accelerating of time?

Thanks for the great info.
Are you still in the earths sphere of influence?

Danny Batten

Sanctor **《T》** MT/SP/TE/ Governor of Terra SOI
Professor
Registered
Because if your still in orbit around earth there should be a burn point in the orbit around earth

T

TtTOtW

Also you need at least x10000 time warp to see the arc in earth's orbital path move significantly.

Z

zakcat

Because if your still in orbit around earth there should be a burn point in the orbit around earth
But I'm speakling of the burn point in the graphic I posted ahead of the Eath's orbit.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
As you use ion engines, you may take into account the fact you will have to burn a really long time before reaching the required speed. If you are in LEO, you won't stay enough time in the transfer window.
In this case, I use to first put my ship on a high Earth orbit (around 800 or 1000km) before trying to match the transfer windows. As the ship is slower at this altitude, this gives you much more time before you reach the end of the transfer window.

T

TtTOtW

@Altaïr that is really good advice. That's why I suggested he rather use them after entering the SOI. For IPT I only use regular engines

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Personally i dont use ion engines... thier not the best.
Yes and no. They make some maneuvers more tricky (see my previous post; by the way, thanks @TOtW ;)) and require a lot of patience, but on the long term they are truly the bests. Personally I don't use them because they make things too easy (and much longer). I even managed to realize the Grand Tour with a single launcher without refuel, with no ion engines.