Another recover fail

Flying Pilot

Man on the Moon
Registered
I have launched another satelit after a while, trying to recover engine too. (For 5 tíme) Engine recover was failed. I think im getting out if it

T

TtTOtW

Um... some tutoring needed? Also, why a new thread just for this??? A profile post would be far better.

T

TtTOtW

First get to orbit. Then land. Then get to the moon. Then orbit it and land, and land on Earth. AFTER that, try to recover a stage of a NORMAL rocket. It's a learning process.

Flying Pilot

Man on the Moon
Registered
Well, meanwhile i launched another one. This time it was sucesfull already! (I have recorded it so when i edit it i will place it here in video section)

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Im sorry for that "revolver" there. It's supposed to say "recover"... Just my autocorrect
Fixed :)

I think your main issue is about aerodynamic stability, if the stage you're trying to land is constantly flipping back it will be a pain indeed. But you can have your stage orient itself correctly by making sure the center of drag is located higher than the center of mass. In other terms, ideally, the bottom of your rocket should be heavier, and the top should be more resistive.

A very simple way to do that is to fit a pair of solar panels on the upper part of your stage, and open them during the descent so that they generate drag. That's basically what Space X does with grid fins. They are located on the top of the booster for the same reason.

You can also work on your rocket's shape for that. Here is an example I made:
Screenshot_20210206-131910_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

The bulge I made has a smooth profile and shields the landing legs from the air flow during the lift-off phasis.
There's a small fuel reserve on the top, it's intentionally not connected to the engine to make sure I have a reserve to land back on Earth. Then, after separation, I just transfer the fuel from the reserve to the main tank:
Screenshot_20210206-131600_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20210206-131622_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

When the transfer is done, the rocket naturally flips back by itself. It's because I transfered some mass downwards, so I lowered the center of mass.

Now the bulge acts as a resistive part on the top of the stage, and I can easily control the end of the descent:
Screenshot_20210206-131753_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20210206-131817_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
In this case, just make sure you deploy the landing legs once you've slowed down enough, cause once deployed they generate a lot of drag, and this would make the rocket flip back again.

The design in itself is ugly, but the passive control it offers is very efficient in practice. In real life, Blue Origin uses a similar trick to land the New Shepard:
Screenshot_20210206-135257_YouTube.jpg
See how the top of the rocket is enlarged compared to the rest? That's the reason for that design.

Some other people may give you more tricks, I'm not keen on recoverability myself, but some members here are a lot used to it.
Good luck pilot :)