Argon I Rocket

XenonSpace

ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Registered
Argon I is an expendable launch vehicle, designed to launch crew and cargo as efficiently as possible to LEO. This rocket does not require expansion packs and cheats to operate, making it suitable for base game players.

Argon I Crew variant
Maximum recommended payload mass = 35 tons
AR-I Crew, Build Screen.jpg AR-I Crew, Launch Pad.jpg AR-I Crew, InFlight .jpg AR-I Crew Capsule.jpg

Blueprint :
https://sharing.spaceflightsimulator.app/rocket/PAEGc_XjEeyfp3dcu4p9zg

Attachments

XenonSpace

ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Registered
About the Crew variant, the maximum recommended payload is supposedly 25 tons, not 35 tons. I mistyped the numbers.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Only slightly in the case of the crew one, and it could be easier to fix by upsizing the payload rather than introducing different kinds of engines in the design.

The cargo one will have its TWR drop when they add 35t of cargo. High TWR is mainly a concern for the "crew" one because it looks draggy, which can be fixed with some fairing work.

Practically speaking, TWR is too high when you push it past a point where aerodynamic losses begin to increase faster than gravity losses decrease. It varies from rocket to rocket, and the best ones are as streamlined as possible so it can be kept as high as possible. In 1.4 with its broken drag, this crossover point was very low. Nowadays with the more balanced atmosphere, it can be surprisingly high, often higher than in real life because the extra mass of the engines doesn't exhibit itself as much on the final dV of the design, and there are no structural concerns from aerodynamics or harsh acceleration.

You can see how the most efficient (highest % payload) heavy lifter designs often have lots and lots of thrust so they can start moving fast lower down to go horizontal sooner.

XenonSpace

ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Registered
TWR is too high. Use a hawk and 2 Kolibris instead.
Only slightly in the case of the crew one, and it could be easier to fix by upsizing the payload rather than introducing different kinds of engines in the design.

The cargo one will have its TWR drop when they add 35t of cargo. High TWR is mainly a concern for the "crew" one because it looks draggy, which can be fixed with some fairing work.

Practically speaking, TWR is too high when you push it past a point where aerodynamic losses begin to increase faster than gravity losses decrease. It varies from rocket to rocket, and the best ones are as streamlined as possible so it can be kept as high as possible. In 1.4 with its broken drag, this crossover point was very low. Nowadays with the more balanced atmosphere, it can be surprisingly high, often higher than in real life because the extra mass of the engines doesn't exhibit itself as much on the final dV of the design, and there are no structural concerns from aerodynamics or harsh acceleration.

You can see how the most efficient (highest % payload) heavy lifter designs often have lots and lots of thrust so they can start moving fast lower down to go horizontal sooner.
Thank you for your feedbacks :)