Alliance’s New President // Likes SpaceX replicas
Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure

Just a quick one of the Ariane 5. I’d love to hear some feedback.

T

TtTOtW

I personally have a bit of a love affair with the Ariane 5.
You're a rare person, you orbit mostly anti-clockwise.
Use "Clear Debris"... It may save you a few gigs.

T

TtTOtW

You never made a video ;) but seriously I never tested your rocket. I'm still flying my own Ariane 5.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I found the replication rather good, but Cosmo is right on this point: it's over-motorized. But I would not blame you for that, it's difficult to make a rocket both looking good and realistic. At least I suggest that you reduce the number of engines on your last stage, it's insanely powerful. Even my first stages generally don't have so much engines :eek:
Well, unless I build a beast to carry several hundred tons to LEO. ;)

Other point is the altitude at which you release the satellites: at that point they are in LEO. The Ariane 5 release its satellites on GTO (Geostationary Transfer Orbit). Ingame, it would correspond to an elliptic orbit which apoapsis is at 1800 km, and periapsis just above the atmosphere.
Then each satellite will circularize its orbit by its own means, while drag will progressively deorbit the empty stage.

Regarding the engines, Europe tends to use powerful boosters for the initial propulsion phase, and then to rely on very efficient cryogenic engines (but with low thrust) to handle the rest of the flight.
A single booster has a 600 tons thrust, while the Vulcain 2 engine (the one from the central core) generates only 135 tons. 90% of the thrust comes from the boosters at lift-off!
If you want to respect that ratio, you can use a Titan engine for each booster, and 2 Broadsword for the central core. Another possibility is to use 2 Titan per booster and a single Frontier for the central core.
As you see, it's difficult to respect both the number of engines, and their relative thrust :confused:

But that's still an interesting experience to build a rocket that matches those power ratio and try to fly it. If you try it, be warned that it's rather hard! In this case, your thrust/weight ratio should be around 1.5 if you want to have a chance (which is the real Ariane 5 one).

Lt. Snakestrike

The Kronian Serpent; Engineering Student
Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
I found the replication rather good, but Cosmo is right on this point: it's over-motorized. But I would not blame you for that, it's difficult to make a rocket both looking good and realistic. At least I suggest that you reduce the number of engines on your last stage, it's insanely powerful. Even my first stages generally don't have so much engines :eek:
Well, unless I build a beast to carry several hundred tons to LEO. ;)

Other point is the altitude at which you release the satellites: at that point they are in LEO. The Ariane 5 release its satellites on GTO (Geostationary Transfer Orbit). Ingame, it would correspond to an elliptic orbit which apoapsis is at 1800 km, and periapsis just above the atmosphere.
Then each satellite will circularize its orbit by its own means, while drag will progressively deorbit the empty stage.

Regarding the engines, Europe tends to use powerful boosters for the initial propulsion phase, and then to rely on very efficient cryogenic engines (but with low thrust) to handle the rest of the flight.
A single booster has a 600 tons thrust, while the Vulcain 2 engine (the one from the central core) generates only 135 tons. 90% of the thrust comes from the boosters at lift-off!
If you want to respect that ratio, you can use a Titan engine for each booster, and 2 Broadsword for the central core. Another possibility is to use 2 Titan per booster and a single Frontier for the central core.
As you see, it's difficult to respect both the number of engines, and their relative thrust :confused:

But that's still an interesting experience to build a rocket that matches those power ratio and try to fly it. If you try it, be warned that it's rather hard! In this case, your thrust/weight ratio should be around 1.5 if you want to have a chance (which is the real Ariane 5 one).
I thpught Ariane 5 was direct to GEO...

At least I suggest that you reduce the number of engines on your last stage, it's insanely powerful. Even my first stages generally don't have so much engines :eek:
Most second stage engines have less than a TWR of 1.

Western rockets are always using this setup, low thrust high efficiency core, high thrust low efficiency boosters.

1 frontier in the core is enough, TtTOtW and I already proved it works. Making the rocket as powerful as that in real life is ridiculous, since the game is scaled down a lot.

Last edited:

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I thpught Ariane 5 was direct to GEO...
No, actually Ariane 5 can't do that because the last stage is not reignitable.
But that's how it's done usually, that allows to make reenter the last stage to prevent debris accumulation.
Moreover the satellites need some navigation capabilities, because they can drift slowly over time (because of slight imprecisions or gravitational perturbations). In general, the lifespan of a satellite is directly related to its fuel reserve. In the end they just use a part of their reserve to circularize their orbit.

4KidsOneCamera

Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Yes it was supposed to but it didn’t this time for some reason

HDavy

Registered
Okay :) here's a suggestion: try to put a docking port or structural parts to maintain both halves together and hold the upper satellite, which gives you something like that:
IMG_20190106_044248.jpg
IMG_20190106_044315.jpg

Edit: it's misclick proof!

4KidsOneCamera

Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure