Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2021
(yes, you can make your own thread if you want to document something you made! I'm sure we'd like to see it)

I'm working on an actively controlled model rocket.

It's 5 cm in diameter, a bit under 40 cm tall, and weighs around 250 g with a full motor.

The motor used is a Klima D3-P, with a burn time of around 6 seconds.

The TVC uses these very expensive and very nice SAVOX 0264MG's. These are almsot certainly overkill, but having good precision and little to no backlash makes designing the control loop easier (by my un-experienced estimation). It's quite compact. Printed in ASA, mostly to save weight. Might also help with the heat produced by the motor.
TVC.png
The nosecone has a servo activated spring loaded parachute bay, stuffed with a 45 cm diameter parachute. probably undersized, oh well. The bottom part of the TVC will serve as a crush zone if needed.
nosecone.png
The first iteration of the electronics was so ugly I won't even post it here. Here's the new one, a nice, custom PCB.
PCBKicad.png PCB.png
It uses a Raspberry pi pico as the core. The sensors present are an mpu6050 IMU, and a BMP280 barometer. It has a Winbond W25Q128JVSIQ flash chip for data logging. I'm hoping to have some telemetry using some LoRa modules, because those are what I have on hand. Eventually, I'd like it to have a GPS module too.

The code is written using the Arduino framework, using this hardware library/core. Arduino libraries usually make life easier.

I've already exectued some tests, with the latest one looking pretty acceptable. The rocket seems to be stablized for most of the burn duration. (Real time video)
For_My_Homie.gif

Here's some data from the test:
databetter.png
Looks pretty good, a lot of offset on one axis, probably due to an off-center COM.

I also have a launch pad ready, with a picoW-enabled wifi interface. Might post something about it later.

Last edited:

Astatium_209

Alliance’s Executor // Unstable and Toxic
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2021
Dang! I've accidentaly posted this before I ment to. Oops.