Solved Atmospheric Precision

SupremeDorian

Idiotic Professor
Professor
Registered
Can anyone help me with precisely landing in an atmosphere? This would be helpful for stuff like Space Shuttles or reusable stages, etc. I'd prefer it to be fairly simple, if possible. Thanks in advance.

GuHP20

《Sentinel》~ Pres Ben //|**|\\
Professor
Man on the Moon
Registered
I don't konw if @Altaïr knows about stmospheric drag,but I'm sure he can help with orbital maneuvers.

GuHP20

Professor
Man on the Moon
Registered
Can anyone help me with precisely landing in an atmosphere? This would be helpful for stuff like Space Shuttles or reusable stages, etc. I'd prefer it to be fairly simple, if possible. Thanks in advance.
I recommend you to put some hiden probes and rcs to stabilize the spacecraft,also,try to put the most non-aerodinamic part down.

SupremeDorian

Idiotic Professor
Professor
Registered
I recommend you to put some hiden probes and rcs to stabilize the spacecraft,also,try to put the most non-aerodinamic part down.
Any advice on efficiently landing back on the launchpad? (By efficient I mean a method that doesn't use too much fuel)

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I suppose you want to land your stage on the launchpad or something like that?
@GuHP20 is right, sadly I can't really help for that. And even if I could it wouldn't be simple: drag is a very difficult force to deal with.

However, I can advise you on how to land without using too much fuel. My favourite trick consists in adding structure on the upper part of the rocket: they generate a lot of drag. By making the upper part more resistive, your rocket will point naturally upwards during the reentry. That way you won't rage and waste fuel to try maintaining the orientation of your launcher as desired. You can enclose them into fairings first, so that they don't harm you for the lift off.
Then, during reentry, never turn on the engines, let the drag make that work for you. The atmospheric pressure is maximal close to the ground level, so don't worry, your rocket will slow down. :)
Then all you have to do is turning on the engine to control the last meters of the descent. You'll only have to burn at part throttle during a few seconds, so this really needs very little fuel.

SupremeDorian

Idiotic Professor
Professor
Registered
I suppose you want to land your stage on the launchpad or something like that?
@GuHP20 is right, sadly I can't really help for that. And even if I could it wouldn't be simple: drag is a very difficult force to deal with.

However, I can advise you on how to land without using too much fuel. My favourite trick consists in adding structure on the upper part of the rocket: they generate a lot of drag. By making the upper part more resistive, your rocket will point naturally upwards during the reentry. That way you won't rage and waste fuel to try maintaining the orientation of your launcher as desired. You can enclose them into fairings first, so that they don't harm you for the lift off.
Then, during reentry, never turn on the engines, let the drag make that work for you. The atmospheric pressure is maximal close to the ground level, so don't worry, your rocket will slow down. :)
Then all you have to do is turning on the engine to control the last meters of the descent. You'll only have to burn at part throttle during a few seconds, so this really needs very little fuel.
Thanks for the help. Even though this alone probably won't help me very much when it comes to landing on the launchpad, this when combined with any other helpful advice can go a long way. I am aware of letting drag slow me down as I do that quite a lot, however I have not gotten a design down that can do that super effectively.

I do also know that the atmosphere is thickest near the ground. It'd be kinda weird if it got thinner towards the ground, wouldn't it? :p

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Regarding the landing on the launchpad, I remember that @TtTOtW leaves a rocket next to it, so that he has a marker from the map view. Maybe he can tell you more about how he proceeds?

T

TtTOtW

Anything, even a small rover, at each end of the launchpad. It helps you centre your landing. Something like this works just fine:

Screenshot_2018-09-20-01-23-10.png
Screenshot_2018-09-20-01-23-52.png
Screenshot_2018-09-20-01-26-05.png
Screenshot_2018-09-20-01-26-29.png

This obviously makes a world of difference.

GuHP20

Professor
Man on the Moon
Registered
You have to be a little distant from the launch pad while in orbit,then you desacelerates and point your fall a bit next to the launch pad,the drag will adjust the fall,then just desacelerate and when you see the launch pad,you go to it.
I do already have stuff next to the launchpad, the problem is actually getting there in a landing.

Lt. Snakestrike

The Kronian Serpent; Engineering Student
Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Just make sure you overshoot your entry trajectory, and of course use the drag to your advantage. It always helps to have extra fuel so you can guide it down and you don't need to go full on suicide burn. Just takes practice, looks like you're getting it.