Base game Heavy Lifters

Danny Batten

Sanctor **《T》** MT/SP/TE/ Governor of Terra SOI
Professor
Registered
To all of thee who havth played base game. I dareth thee to build thy magnificent rocket capable of sending 1000t to orbit!
But the rules of three be,
No cheats (obviously)
Must only use base game build space.
And the most importantly only use base game parts, no titans, not large tanks.

I wisheth all of thee the luck of the gods.

Danny Batten

Professor
Registered
To all of thee who havth played base game. I dareth thee to build thy magnificent rocket capable of sending 1000t to orbit!
But the rules of three be,
No cheats (obviously)
Must only use base game build space.
And the most importantly only use base game parts, no titans, not large tanks.

I wisheth all of thee the luck of the gods.
I forgot to mention on pad assembly is allowed

I'll try that... But how does one execute this so-called on-pad assembly?
And can I do this on PC (remaining withing what the phone version offers, of course, if I interpreted the constraints properly...)?

GuHP20

《Sentinel》~ Pres Ben //|**|\\
Professor
Man on the Moon
Registered
And can I do this on PC (remaining withing what the phone version offers, of course, if I interpreted the constraints properly...)?
On pad assembly is docking two or more ships at launchpad to make one bigger.

Danny Batten

Professor
Registered
If you use the right space and parts yes

Danny Batten

Professor
Registered
Right, for everyone that wants to know. The easiest way of putting a craft like this together is use it’s fuel. But have a craft that can roll up and refuel the rocket

Earl

Builder of Stupid Rockets // Pres Ben //|**|\\
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
You pied ninny, you have failed! Textures are not in the base game!

Shakespeare had a bunch of good insults

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Did someone ask for a base game parts only UHLV?

Couple of caveats. The only cheat I used was those that enabled me to pad assemble, so no grav etc. Also the payload isn't strictly basegame, but I couldn't be bothered making it out of 5t tanks and it wouldn't have mattered anyway. Also I've added colours to the tanks around the docking ports so they're easier to find. Again, shouldn't make a difference.

So in theory, anyone can use the assembled .qks for this and launch it.

I present the Salamander L/V.

Screenshot_2019-05-27-22-41-27a.jpg

Oh. Erm. This is just the base of it...

Screenshot_2019-05-27-22-41-27.png
Screenshot_2019-05-27-22-43-44.png

Screenshot_2019-05-27-22-46-18.png

Screenshot_2019-05-27-22-54-13.png

Screenshot_2019-05-27-23-42-57.png
Screenshot_2019-05-28-00-29-20.png
Screenshot_2019-05-28-00-48-56.png

That's better.

The Salamander.

without payload
Over 1000 game parts
200m tall (5 x 2 base buildscreens)
252 engines (82 Hawks, 170 broadswords)
9,738,000kg mass
7,992,000kg of fuel
162,300kN of thrust

With 2,270,600kg of payload.
267m tall
12,009,120kg All up mass
Launch TWR: 1.37
Dv: 3153m/s

In short, the single most powerful, base game compliant L/V in SFS.
For the next few hours at least until Danny throws a few more cathedral boosters onto his set up and, as long as i've not made a booboo parts wise (I'm not exactly sure what comes in the base game. Don't @me haha)

Screenshot_2019-05-28-00-31-20.png

How does it fly?

Like you'd expect something taller than the Washington Monument to fly. Sluggishly... and with ALL THE LAG. Not just some. ALL OF IT.
It's as if i'm importing other lag from other universes just to satisfy the amount of lag this produces.
I'm having difficulty making a video of it because my tablet is basically unresponsive through the first 45-55 seconds of flight.

Also, because there are over 250 engines, I haven't designed it as a true 2 stage rocket as lighting stage 2 would take about a year.
I'm serious. It took me nearly 3 and a half minutes just to turn them on for launch, and have the video to prove it
Instead all the engines burn all the time and I've designed each segment to fall away in sequence, ditching the excess weight as they run out of fuel.
That being said, at no point in flight does the TWR drop below 1.2, so considering it weighs more than a US Navy guided missile cruiser, it doesn't mind climbing at all. And it's simply majestic the first 100-200m.

So, pictures it is for the moment.

This is at T+ 55, the base of stage 1 comes off. I couldn't get a photo in time. Like I said, unresponsive...

Screenshot_2019-05-28-01-32-12.png

You may wonder why i'm at 6,500m and still going almost straight up. I didn't start going over til pretty much 9,000m. If you're not above 13,000m before the solid fuel stage comes off, then you're not making orbit.

Managed to get one of the core of stage one falling away at T+138 though, just before the Karman Line.

Screenshot_2019-05-28-01-35-51.png

The base of Stage 2 comes away at T+181 and we're juuuussstt about to achieve orbit.

Screenshot_2019-05-28-01-38-47.png

Just casually de-orbiting a small, 35m x 28m, 412t building.

And thats LEO.

Screenshot_2019-05-28-01-39-58.png

Screenshot_2019-05-28-01-40-32.png

Screenshot_2019-05-28-01-41-26.png

In the picture is 2,270 tons of payload, 664t of L/V and 4% fuel (155.36tons) = 3089 tons.

Still got 160m/s to play with and will achieve stable 100km orbit

Screenshot_2019-05-28-03-55-40.png

It would get there with less fuel, but i've only got one probe onboard so the only way it turns is with thrust, and I wasted a lot of it at the top of the flight attempting to rotate to make an orbit.

And you have to turn the engines off to separate. It shakes so much that you'll end up hitting an engine or transferring fuel instead, which isn't good. Ooooh no it's not.

Other critique point, I could make it more aerodynamic by adding parachutes/ports to the top of the flat surfaces where the engine 'nacelles' are which would make a huge difference.

It's also at its least capable here. I've had to 'detune' it because in original trim it was going to launch at TWR 2.5 or something like that and couldn't use hawks on the upper stage because again it was too powerful even with that amount of weight. Because its modular and so over powered, the vehicle can lift anything I can strap to the top with a bit of engine swap or simply adding core sections.

But, tablet says no, so this is my limit.

Over to you Danny!

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
The only heavy lifters are spammed engines, why don't we spice it up with NO ENGINES and just use rcs?
You'd need an engine pack of 18,000 RCS weighing 720tons to lift that and it would only have a Dv of 1642m/s...

Lt. Snakestrike

The Kronian Serpent; Engineering Student
Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered

Couple of caveats. The only cheat I used was those that enabled me to pad assemble, so no grav etc. Also the payload isn't strictly basegame, but I couldn't be bothered making it out of 5t tanks and it wouldn't have mattered anyway. Also I've added colours to the tanks around the docking ports so they're easier to find. Again, shouldn't make a difference.

View attachment 20265

View attachment 20266 View attachment 20267
View attachment 20268
View attachment 20269
View attachment 20271 View attachment 20272 View attachment 20273

That's better.

The Salamander.

without payload
Over 1000 game parts
9,738,000kg mass
7,992,000kg of fuel
162,300kN of thrust

267m tall
12,009,120kg All up mass

For the next few hours at least until Danny throws a few more cathedral boosters onto his set up and, as long as i've not made a booboo parts wise (I'm not exactly sure what comes in the base game. Don't @me haha)

View attachment 20274

How does it fly?

Like you'd expect something taller than the Washington Monument to fly. Sluggishly... and with ALL THE LAG. Not just some. ALL OF IT.
It's as if i'm importing other lag from other universes just to satisfy the amount of lag this produces.
I'm having difficulty making a video of it because my tablet is basically unresponsive through the first 45-55 seconds of flight.

Also, because there are over 250 engines, I haven't designed it as a true 2 stage rocket as lighting stage 2 would take about a year.
I'm serious. It took me nearly 3 and a half minutes just to turn them on for launch, and have the video to prove it
Instead all the engines burn all the time and I've designed each segment to fall away in sequence, ditching the excess weight as they run out of fuel.
That being said, at no point in flight does the TWR drop below 1.2, so considering it weighs more than a US Navy guided missile cruiser, it doesn't mind climbing at all. And it's simply majestic the first 100-200m.

This is at T+ 55, the base of stage 1 comes off. I couldn't get a photo in time. Like I said, unresponsive...

View attachment 20275

You may wonder why i'm at 6,500m and still going almost straight up. I didn't start going over til pretty much 9,000m. If you're not above 13,000m before the solid fuel stage comes off, then you're not making orbit.

Managed to get one of the core of stage one falling away at T+138 though, just before the Karman Line.

View attachment 20276

The base of Stage 2 comes away at T+181 and we're juuuussstt about to achieve orbit.

View attachment 20277

And thats LEO.

View attachment 20278
View attachment 20279
View attachment 20280

In the picture is 2,270 tons of payload, 664t of L/V and 4% fuel (155.36tons) = 3089 tons.

View attachment 20287

It would get there with less fuel, but i've only got one probe onboard so the only way it turns is with thrust, and I wasted a lot of it at the top of the flight attempting to rotate to make an orbit.

And you have to turn the engines off to separate. It shakes so much that you'll end up hitting an engine or transferring fuel instead, which isn't good. Ooooh no it's not.

Other critique point, I could make it more aerodynamic by adding parachutes/ports to the top of the flat surfaces where the engine 'nacelles' are which would make a huge difference.

It's also at its least capable here. I've had to 'detune' it because in original trim it was going to launch at TWR 2.5 or something like that and couldn't use hawks on the upper stage because again it was too powerful even with that amount of weight. Because its modular and so over powered, the vehicle can lift anything I can strap to the top with a bit of engine swap or simply adding core sections.

Over to you Danny!
Wow, that's a really interesting way to stage it.
That's why it's being so difficult, because they're not docked together. The collision mechanics would be insane.

Oh, nevermind, those are just a bunch of the smaller engines.

Danny Batten

Professor
Registered

View attachment 20265

View attachment 20268
View attachment 20269

That's better.

The Salamander.

without payload
Over 1000 game parts
9,738,000kg mass
7,992,000kg of fuel
162,300kN of thrust

267m tall
12,009,120kg All up mass

View attachment 20274

How does it fly?

View attachment 20275

View attachment 20276

View attachment 20277

And thats LEO.

View attachment 20278
View attachment 20279
View attachment 20280

View attachment 20287

Over to you Danny!
Bravo, bravo.... I see you’ve given me a good challenge.....

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
That's why it's being so difficult, because they're not docked together. The collision mechanics would be insane.
Theyre docked fully, just using ports rather than separators cos build ease and aerodynamics as well. The lag was fine until you turned the engines on, then all hell breaks loose

Bravo, bravo.... I see you’ve given me a good challenge....
Ha, I've no doubt you can go bigger, it's more how wide do you want to go...

Danny Batten

Professor
Registered
Theyre docked fully, just using ports rather than separators cos build ease and aerodynamics as well. The lag was fine until you turned the engines on, then all hell breaks loose

Ha, I've no doubt you can go bigger, it's more how wide do you want to go...
Yes I might need to make undercores to make it taller rather than wider

SupremeDorian

Idiotic Professor
Professor
Registered

View attachment 20265

View attachment 20268
View attachment 20269

That's better.

The Salamander.

without payload
Over 1000 game parts
9,738,000kg mass
7,992,000kg of fuel
162,300kN of thrust

267m tall
12,009,120kg All up mass

View attachment 20274

How does it fly?

View attachment 20275

View attachment 20276

View attachment 20277

And thats LEO.

View attachment 20278
View attachment 20279
View attachment 20280

View attachment 20287

Over to you Danny!
This looks like a mini version of the Rocket you said was never going to fly

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered