Can anyone teach me how to land a booster on a droneship?

Vovxb

Registered
well look at this i got on and did my suicide burn but I'm terrible at landing a specific point it just pulls me off
so is there any tips to be on target?

James Brown

Thinker/INTJ/investigator/Natural Science lover
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Can using RCS help you?

James Brown

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Good, RCS can help you to land on the target

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Can using RCS help you?
No. You don't need RCS. It doesn't help you unless you're nearly bang on, and main engine burns are far better for adjustment.

no ill crash if do im terrible at suicide burns
Then don't do suicide burns.

well look at this i got on and did my suicide burn but I'm terrible at landing a specific point it just pulls me off
In atmosphere, it's mostly trial and error. Every craft reacts differently because they have different drag co-efficients and different thrust to weight ratios so what works on one rocket, won't work on another. The angle you're coming an at, the speed you're approaching will also be different every single time you do this.

Coming in shallow also has a different technique and approach style than coming in steep, and both have their pros and cons. Steep tends to be more accurate, but is very expensive delta v wise.

Mark the area using some sort of drone either side so you can see where you're aiming for and then keep practising. I know that's anathema to some people, but it really is a simple case of doing it until you get it right.

Have you watched any videos on here of them being done? I have videos of multiple precision landings being done on Earth

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
well look at this i got
Yes... practice... a lot of practice...

Try with small hops first, then higher hops, then suborbital, then orbital. It’s mostly trial and error.

Can using RCS help you?
Good, RCS can help you to land on the target
If I were you guys, I would not use RCS. Their effect is barely noticeable unless you have too many of them, and in that case they will generate a ton of drag and will waste too much fuel. Is better to have only a couple, maybe 4 of them.

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Usually i'm not aiming directly on pad/or droneship or the landin pad... i'm giving my booster to bleed off much speed in the atmosphere and the trajectory is good enough to refine to landing site....

then the landing is either suicidal or hovering... but for me i'm tryin to land on hover slam/suicide burn....

and yeah maybe you need to experiment and learn how to make it properly so its trial and error for ya :)

James Brown

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
If you are talking about aming a landed target, using RCS or main engine depends on the gravity of an object

SFSAbhishek

/<***@Intricate Crafts are Mine✓***>\
Star Forger
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I would like to add something on Horus comment,
Suicide burns are hard because of the two velocity vectors. If you don't want too much horizontal velocity I would recommend the rocket orbit between 60 to 100 km, in case of Falcon first stage make the apoapsis about 50-60

James Brown

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Sorry, I won't give comment again in the help and support session gala