Challenge: speed

S

Strychnine

This is my best so far. I know I've been over 15k, but I didn't know if second and tertiary stages would defeat the spirit of the challenge.
Screenshot_20180601-170813.png

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Here is my tentative:
Screenshot_20180602-071143.png
It's... It's over ninety THOUSAAAANDS!!!!

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Wow - impressive!
I used a big rocket to do this:
Screenshot_20180602-083936.png
Then I propelled it on a very high elliptic orbit:
Screenshot_20180602-083907.png
Actually you can't even see half of my orbit on this picture! Seriously, I think I would have reached Pluto if it was in game. I did this using the gravitational slingshot from Earth and Mars, which saved fuel (Yes, I really like that crazy maneuver :p).
I lowered my periapsis to 300 km (which is the limit of atmosphere on the Sun) and burnt the rest of my propellants there. But completing that crazy orbit was reaaally long, even on max speed o_O

Asgad

Registered
The best I was able to do was around 30 km/s with a multi stage ion rocket. Accelerating took about three hours. So your >90 km/s made me bow in awe.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
The best I was able to do was around 30 km/s with a multi stage ion rocket. Accelerating took about three hours. So your >90 km/s made me bow in awe.
I didn't even think to ion engines :eek:
As far as I know, the best strategy is to go into sun orbit and lower the periapsis as much as you can (not below 300 km because you would enter in the sun atmosphere). The speed will be maximal at the periapsis, so this is where you must record your speed.

S

Strychnine

I tried this method and bow I can't find the solar system. the line that shows trajectory has disappeared and now my ship is lost somewhere at a height of 259k Mm.
Screenshot_20180602-153516.png
this is zoomed all the way out, btw

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Wow, nice glitch!
I noticed some glitches too when I approached the Sun at very high speed. In particular, the trajectory disappears when it becomes hyperbolic (which occurs when eccentricity reaches 1). And sometimes the ship suddenly changed of position too. Did you have those ones too?

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Lol! And without missing a beat. Like "Wow, nice car" or "Wow, nice hair style"... But "Wow, nice glitch"?
Oops... Actually I'm french, I didn't realize that this expression was not the most adequate. :rolleyes:

S

Strychnine

And sometimes the ship suddenly changed of position too. Did you have those ones too?
The ship didn't change position, but it did disappear from both views for a while. I exited and and reopened the game and my ship was back.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Nah, I'm sure you'll laugh at my French, we?
I would surely do indeed ;)
Don't worry, I can laugh at my own mistakes, the fact it happens on a public forum just makes it more embarassing.