TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Yeah, this is the second time that I do the Copycat Badge after my first atempt got forgotten, and I'm just doing another attempt because I recently saw that my recreation of the Sea Dragon had some problems with the measures.

The rocket that I tried to recreate is the Vulcan rocket (with only 2 boosters), from the ULA (United Launch Alliance) and I'm also going to use this for the Solara Project.
Hope Mooncrasher sees and evaluates this.

(Also yes, I used some custom texture packs and want to thank Lemniscate Biscuit for his help with the engines and (of course) promote his mod RL10-RO that includes some types of the RL10 engines, perfect if you want to recreate the Delta IV heavy, Atlas, SLS (second stage) or the Vulcan rocket)

20240210165330_1.jpg
20240210165337_1.jpg
20240210165356_1.jpg
20240210171222_1.jpg
20240210171342_1.jpg
20240210172048_1.jpg
20240210194027_1.jpg
20240210194034_1.jpg

Lemniscate Biscuit

ㅤㅤHelp DeskㅤㅤRL10 Expert
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
MOTY 2023
Yeah, this is the second time that I do the Copycat Badge after my first atempt got forgotten, and I'm just doing another attempt because I recently saw that my recreation of the Sea Dragon had some problems with the measures.

The rocket that I tried to recreate is the Vulcan rocket (with only 2 boosters), from the ULA (United Launch Alliance) and I'm also going to use this for the Solara Project.

(Also yes, I used some custom texture packs and want to thank Lemniscate Biscuit for his help with the engines and (of course) promote his mod RL10-RO that includes some types of the RL10 engines, perfect if you want to recreate the Delta IV heavy, Atlas, SLS (second stage) or the Vulcan rocket)

View attachment 113802 View attachment 113803 View attachment 113804 View attachment 113805 View attachment 113806 View attachment 113807 View attachment 113808 View attachment 113809
I personally really love the design of ths rocket. Just hope it's 1:1.

Dahzito

Amateur Astronomer / Future Astrophysicist
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I think the scale is 1:1, also the Image Cover Mod helped me a lot with the design of the rocket.

Orion

Nuclear bombs in space, die-hard WALL-E fan.
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered

View attachment 113802 View attachment 113803 View attachment 113804 View attachment 113805 View attachment 113806 View attachment 113807 View attachment 113808 View attachment 113809
Yet another great rocket. Really cool!

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
So there are no modded parts here, just textures? The engines are made from clipped+edited vanila parts?

Dahzito

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I think the scale is 1:1, also the Image Cover Mod helped me a lot with the design of the rocket.
Also, the Image Cover Mod feels a bit like a cheat when trying to recreate real life rockets.

Dahzito

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
So there are no modded parts here, just textures? The engines are made from clipped+edited vanila parts?
Yes, no mods, only custom textures, and in each engine in the first stage there are only 2 clipped Frontier engines, and 1 stretched engine in each booster.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Also, the Image Cover Mod feels a bit like a cheat when trying to recreate real life rockets.
The image cover mod simply places an image overlay in the buildscreen to help you place parts in the correct place? Do I understand that correctly?

Dahzito

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
The image cover mod simply places an image overlay in the buildscreen to help you place parts in the correct place? Do I understand that correctly?
Yes, but I only used it to make a sketch of the design of the rocket.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Yes, but I only used it to make a sketch of the design of the rocket.
It sounds like it is the same as using photoshop layers to place a transparent guide image over a buildscreen image to see if the edges of your rocket line up correctly, but faster. If so, that's totally fine. :)

It's hard to make measurements of the rocket from your pictures, can you send the bp link or file of the rocket here (or in my DMs if you wish it to remain private) so I can check the measurements?

Dahzito

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
It sounds like it is the same as using photoshop layers to place a transparent guide image over a buildscreen image to see if the edges of your rocket line up correctly, but faster. If so, that's totally fine. :)

It's hard to make measurements of the rocket from your pictures, can you send the bp link or file of the rocket here (or in my DMs if you wish it to remain private) so I can check the measurements?
Ok, I'll try to send the BP in private in at least 10 minutes.

Marmilo

Retired Staff / Scale Inspector
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022

Those might be the best Vulcan decals I have seen yet. You could still make them a bit smoother though, perhaps by making them flat and shading with burnarks

Dahzito

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I could have made a mistake, but it seems that your rocket, whilst close, is wrong in certain dimensions, such as boosters too short, overall rocket slightly too long, core too thin, etc
View attachment 114808 View attachment 114809 View attachment 114810
Reference: https://www.ulalaunch.com/docs/default-source/rockets/vulcancentaur.pdf?
Maybe the image I used was not to scale? Idk, well it's just going to be another headache for this weekend.

Those might be the best Vulcan decals I have seen yet. You could still make them a bit smoother though, perhaps by making them flat and shading with burnarks
Thank you! Yeah, I was actually thinking on improving the rocket to make it more smoother, but I think it's good for now, tough if I have time to add more details and improve that I'll try.

Also here are the images I used to make the rocket (these are the principal images I used)

Attachments