Criteria for a craft to be considered a space shuttle?

Does this look like a space shuttle to you based on the requirements below?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
By definition, a shuttle is a vehicle that can make a trip between two places, yet some people have said this isn't a shuttle. What is it missing?

1568527802415.png

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Reusable. (The shuttle part, not necessarily the boosters)

Has "wings", or aerodynamic control surfaces, IF it is intended for use on Earth. Wings are useless if it's only used on the moon.

Can land without parachutes.

Can carry cargo and crew.

Etc.
Most shuttles display multiple of the above characteristics.

By definition, a shuttle is a vehicle that can make a trip between two places, yet some people have said this isn't a shuttle.
The problem here is in how language functions. Words don't have discreet points of meaning, but ranges of meaning shaped by context.

In this case, "shuttle" means something different in the context of space travel from what it means in general usage. If I were at an airport, a bus or a van might be a "shuttle" in that context. But you can hardly fault people for objecting to considering a bus or a van a "shuttle" in a space travel context. And in that context, there is a distinction between a shuttle and a rocket.

This is just how words work, all words. "Force" means something different in a court of law than what it means in a physics lab. "Dribble" means something different in a nursery than on a basketball court.

So if I placed sol... armor plating on the bottom of the shuttle, and returned it back safely to earth, it's a shuttle? It can already carry cargo, and has an unmanned option, for those pesky interplanetary test runs, and with armor plating, it can serve as landing gear AND a heat shield!

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
So if I placed sol... armor plating on the bottom of the shuttle, and returned it back safely to earth, it's a shuttle? It can already carry cargo, and has an unmanned option, for those pesky interplanetary test runs, and with armor plating, it can serve as landing gear AND a heat shield!
Try to make something that looks and works more like a plane.

No, If you crash it into Earth and it survives is not a Shuttle, try to land it horizontally, like a plane.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Or at least land it like this

De-orbiting Excaliber and landing at the launch facility.

T

TtTOtW

The STS and Buran defines a SPACE shuttle. Then, Starship also qualifies even though shaped slightly differently. But the very significant aerodynamic control surfaces, human and cargo carrying ability, reusability, everything, makes its definition as a Space Shuttle undeniable. This is what we're aiming for.

I tested a crewed, "reusable" version. Landed horizontally, using one parachute as stabilization (like the USA Shuttle). Launched to LEO, separated, and did a deorbit burn. Went through 1 aerobrake, but I might just skip the aerobrake next time. The design might still need some fixing, but I think I got this...

1568573901684.png

Landed it horizontally and did an actual mission! What am I missing, if anything? I had to deploy a lunar rover using the conventional armored drop pod design.

1568595313239.png

Lt. Snakestrike

The Kronian Serpent; Engineering Student
Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
I tested a crewed, "reusable" version. Landed horizontally, using one parachute as stabilization (like the USA Shuttle). Launched to LEO, separated, and did a deorbit burn. Went through 1 aerobrake, but I might just skip the aerobrake next time. The design might still need some fixing, but I think I got this...

View attachment 26981
Sorry to say man, it needs a lot more substance than that. Fill it in somehow and add a proportional tail, then you'll be getting somewhere.

Oh yeah... The tail... How could I forget?

Fill it in? 1.35 doesn't have wide enough fairings, and moving bp edited parts resets the x scale factor... Tail *should* be easy enough...

Sorry, I'm a noob when it comes to building shuttles...

I'm assuming (if I did my proportions right) that the tail would have to be as tall as the craft itself? And I'll try to put in reusable cargo doors, although the doors are "inexpensive"...