DeltaV Map

SupremeDorian

Idiotic Professor
Professor
Registered
Does anyone have a DeltaV map for 1.4? I have one from 1.35 but since it's from 1.35 it doesn't have Jupiter and its moons. Basically what I want is something like this:
DeltaV_Map_for_SFS2.png
But with Jupiter and its moons. This is so I can, with a bit more time than it takes for me to normally make a rocket, make a rocket with the DeltaV necessary to finally do a proper mission to Jupiter's moons.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I've made some calculations for what you want, but someone will have to redraw the map for a practical diagram.
Also, be aware that this map is no longer valid, because the Sun is heavier since 1.4.

So, my results are:

LEO to TJI: 1230 m/s

LEO to TJI with VEEGA: 800 m/s

TJI to...
  • LJO: 3854 m/s o_O
  • Transfer to Io: 1236 m/s
  • Transfer to Europa: 829 m/s
  • Transfer to Ganymede: 549 m/s
  • Transfer to Callisto: 335 m/s
The aforementioned trajectories have their periapsis at Jupiter level and their apoapsis at the concerned moon level.

From the appropriate transfer trajectory:
Io insertion: 1266 m/s
Europa insertion: 1368 m/s
Ganymede insertion: 1121 m/s
Callisto insertion: 989 m/s

LEO: Low Earth Orbit
LJO: Low Jupiter Orbit
TJI: Trans Jovian Injection
VEEGA: Venus Earth Earth Gravity assist

The orbital speeds around each body:
Earth: 1679 m/s
Jupiter: 9223 m/s o_O
Io: 710 m/s
Europa: 480 m/s
Ganymede: 996 m/s
Callisto: 814 m/s

All given speeds take into account the Oberth effect, and are also valid for the return path.
Some advice:
- Don't even consider trying to reach LJO! You could by aerobraking of course, but rising your orbit again will cost the same!
- It's also possible to slingshot with the moons to reduce the actual need in delta-V.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited by a moderator:

SupremeDorian

Idiotic Professor
Professor
Registered
I've made some calculations for what you want, but someone will have to redraw the map for a practical diagram.
Also, be aware that this map is no longer valid, because the Sun is heavier since 1.4.

So, my results are:

TJI to...
  • LJI: 3854 m/s o_O
The aforementioned trajectories have their periapsis at Jupiter level and their apoapsis at the concerned moon level.

LJI: Low Jupiter Orbit

Ganymede: 1121 m/s
Callisto: 989 m/s

All given speeds take into account the Oberth effect, and are also valid for the return path.
Some advice:
- Don't even consider trying to reach LJO! You could by aerobraking of course, but rising your orbit again will cost the same!
- It's also possible to slingshot with the moons to reduce the actual need in delta-V.

It does, thanks!

So, my results are:

TJI to...

Some advice:

How do you calculate dV for planets?

Does anyone have a DeltaV map for 1.4? I have one from 1.35 but since it's from 1.35 it doesn't have Jupiter and its moons. Basically what I want is something like this:
View attachment 8161 But with Jupiter and its moons. This is so I can, with a bit more time than it takes for me to normally make a rocket, make a rocket with the DeltaV necessary to finally do a proper mission to Jupiter's moons.
About this chart, are you supposed to add them together or are you supposed to just read off the label after each maneuver icon?

So, my results are:

TJI to...

Some advice:

The main mothership I have so far with the nuclear propulsion and fuel can pull off 23000 m/s with no payload, and when I start adding in a 145 ton reactor, it will cut it down to 7243 m/s :oops:. WHAT?!

So after factoring the mass of the reactor, propulsion and every single little docking port and structure part, I will get around 4000 m/s of dV, very risky for a jupiter direct mission.

AND I HAVEN'T EVEN ADDED IN THE PAYLOAD YET! AND THEY ARE GOING TO WEIGHT AT LEAST 200 TONS.
1539095977262.png

Ok, I have a plan, I can still maybe pull off a Jupiter direct flight to cut on time. It only needs 1230 m/s, that i can pull off, I will have to use gravity assist of jupiter's moons to get myself into high elliptical jupiter orbit.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
How do you calculate dV for planets?
I use the data available in the planet file to calculate all this. Then I suppose ideal trajectories. For a transfer trajectory to Io for example, I suppose the orbit is elliptical, with its periapsis at Jupiter level (just above the atmosphere limit), and its apoapsis at Io level (which is Io orbiting radius). From there, the speed at which Io will be encountered is Io's speed (it must be calculated too) minus the speed at the apoapsis and so on...

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
About this chart, are you supposed to add them together or are you supposed to just read off the label after each maneuver icon?
Yes, all speed must be added together. Each speed indicated is related to a single maneuver.

I use the data available in the planet file to calculate all this. Then I suppose ideal trajectories. For a transfer trajectory to Io for example, I suppose the orbit is elliptical, with its periapsis at Jupiter level (just above the atmosphere limit), and its apoapsis at Io level (which is Io orbiting radius). From there, the speed at which Io will be encountered is Io's speed (it must be calculated too) minus the speed at the apoapsis and so on...
any equations?

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Mainly to calculate speeds at periapsis and apoapsis. I use those formulas:
Va^2 = 2×Mu/(Ra+Rp)×Rp/Ra
Vp^2 = 2×Mu/(Ra+Rp)×Ra/Rp

With:
Va, Vp: velocities at apoapsis/periapsis
Ra, Rp: apoapsis and periapsis (evaluated from the center of the planet, not from ground level!)
Mu: gravitational parameter (it's G×M). You can calculate it from the data files: Mu = g×planet_radius^2

Mainly to calculate speeds at periapsis and apoapsis. I use those formulas:
Va^2 = 2×Mu/(Ra+Rp)×Rp/Ra
Vp^2 = 2×Mu/(Ra+Rp)×Ra/Rp

With:
Va, Vp: velocities at apoapsis/periapsis
Ra, Rp: apoapsis and periapsis (evaluated from the center of the planet, not from ground level!)
Mu: gravitational parameter (it's G×M). You can calculate it from the data files: Mu = g×planet_radius^2
What's M? Is it the mass of the planet?

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I made a mistake here. The orbital speed for Ganimede is 996 m/s, and the one for Callist is 814 m/s. Sorry guys o_O

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
What's M? Is it the mass of the planet?
Yes, it's the mass of the planet, and G is the universal gravitational constant. It's impossible to determine them separately, but all you need is the product G×M (which can be determined).

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
And by universal gravity constant you mean the gravity of the body?
No, this is a different value. The universal gravitational constant is the one used in the generic Newton's formula: F=G×m1×m2/r^2.
It's different from the gravitational constant (aka 9.8 on Earth) proper to a body.

I would like to ask if my following maneuver is efficient. The mothership which most of her cargo is made of jupiter research equipment will head to Jupiter and use her moons' gravity assist to slow the ship into a high elliptical jupiter orbit. After spending all Jupiter research cargo which sheds most of her mass. It will then head to mars to transfer 5 of her crew to a descent stage and head for an already built colony. The colony will also launch a refuel rocket to tank up and dock 2 new side tanks for the previously jettisoned fuel tanks if needed.

The ship will then leave Mars for Venus, where she will use aerobraking to slow herself into a high elliptical Cytherean orbit, again she will transfer 1 of her crew onto the VAV, descend, lift off to dock with a waiting spaceship which will ferry the crew and the surface samples back to the mothership. Finally the ship will head for mercury, where the ship will use Mercury gravity assist to slow her velocity enough and burns to enter another high elliptical mercury orbit, or an eccentric orbit if enough.

The crew will finally depart mercury and use Venus gravity assist to head for Earth. Where the crew will re-enter back home.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Is your intention to visit all planets/moons?
The strategy looks good, but I would split the ship into different parts: for example you don't have to send the Venus lander to Jupiter and Mars first. If you follow the VEEGA path, maybe you can satellize the Venus ship around Venus while the rest of your ship goes on.
When I did the Grand Tour and the Jovian Tour, I used that kind of strategy: I sent refuellers at strategic places, and then the lander just hops from one place to another. As the lander itself is very light, it consumes very little fuel in the end.
It's the same logic than for a trek: you only bring with you what you need :)

Is your intention to visit all planets/moons?
The strategy looks good, but I would split the ship into different parts: for example you don't have to send the Venus lander to Jupiter and Mars first. If you follow the VEEGA path, maybe you can satellize the Venus ship around Venus while the rest of your ship goes on.
When I did the Grand Tour and the Jovian Tour, I used that kind of strategy: I sent refuellers at strategic places, and then the lander just hops from one place to another. As the lander itself is very light, it consumes very little fuel in the end.
It's the same logic than for a trek: you only bring with you what you need :)
Yeah, all planets and back. If you have read the plans I have posted in the rocketeer's Inn, it is to send unmanned landers to orbit around mars, venus and mercury, so that the main mothership can just carry cargo to jupiter and the rest is just the crew. The plan is to launch 4 unmanned ships to Mars, 1 unmanned ship to Venus, and 2 unmanned ships to Mercury.

The first 3 ships will first land on mars to set up a colony automatically, and the 4th one will remain in low mars orbit to await the crew's arrival from Jupiter. The Venus lander will await the crew's arrival from mars and she will take just one man onto the surface and back. FInally one ship will land on Mercury to set up a colony autonomously with the other one in low mercury orbit to await to crew to arrive from Venus.