Destination: Callisto

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Alright… Callisto. The fourth of the Galilean moons, I think its an underrated destination, cause not many people goes there, and it’s a very interesting location, well, at least I find it very interesting.

To be honest I haven’t much to Callisto, I’m pretty sure I have sent less than 4 missions there, and not all were even manned. So, this mission will be a large-scale tour to Callisto, with the purpose of exploring the moon in close detail, and unravel its secrets.

Let’s get started!

To explore the surface of Callisto, we need a small base on its surface, so our astronauts can work more comfortably, as well as a rover to provide mobility around the surface. We also need satellites to communicate with Earth, and to scan the surface.
01.png

We will also need an orbital module to remain in space around the moon, and of course a lot of fuel to bring all this to Jupiter. I will go for a direct transfer to Jupiter, cause its much easier than to use gravity assistances, especially with the new navigation system. That also requires fuel.
02.png

However, this fuel is still not enough (at least I thought it didn’t). We need even MORE fuel (No, I’m not going to spam fuel tanks, I’ll just pack enough to travel comfortably).

This launch will be made by a reusable rocket, my new Galilea III, a 1.5 revamp of the Galilea II. This rocket can carry 500 tons to orbit, and everything, except the fairing, returns to Earth safely.
03.png

I used a couple of drones to install the auxiliary fuel tanks on the JTS.
04.png

Next one is the Callisto Orbital and Earth Return Stage (COERS). This launch will also be made by a reusable Galilea III rocket.
05.png

Alright, now its time to send the lander with the crew and depart! I think I’ll send 4 astronauts on this mission. 2 of them will be on Callisto’s surface and the other 2 will remain in orbit.

Delivering crew is the job of a shuttle. So, my STS Stalwart Chimera will take it.
06.png

Alright, the ship is ready, time to depart!
07.png

And we’re here!
08.png

One satellite will follow a prograde orbit, while the other one will follow a retrograde orbit, they will both circularize around the moon at 50 km, the orbital module will remain at 35 km.
Once the surface scan has been completed and mission control has selected the best location to land, its time to deploy the surface module.
09.png

Anyway, I wouldn’t call this an awesome base, its just a little habitat so our astronauts can feel a little bit more comfortable than inside the lander.
Next up is the exploration of Callisto, but that will be for tomorrow. Yep, I’m tired of writing, guys, tomorrow I’ll post the rest of the mission.

Thank you all for reading what I have so far!

JSP

The Lord President of Gallifrey.
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Out of all the places in SFS I've never been there but that is a very good mission and nice rockets

T

The Dark in the Light

That's pretty cool, nice mission! Now I have the sudden urge to go to Enceladus.

Marmilo

Retired Staff / Scale Inspector
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
I'm working on a similar project, but on the moon.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I have a question, why do you need satellites?
Terrain mapping and over-the-horizon communications. To be honest, I'd say they'd be a necessity for any serious colonisation attempts

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Alright… Callisto. The fourth of the Galilean moons, I think its an underrated destination, cause not many people goes there, and it’s a very interesting location, well, at least I find it very interesting.

To be honest I haven’t much to Callisto, I’m pretty sure I have sent less than 4 missions there, and not all were even manned. So, this mission will be a large-scale tour to Callisto, with the purpose of exploring the moon in close detail, and unravel its secrets.

Let’s get started!

To explore the surface of Callisto, we need a small base on its surface, so our astronauts can work more comfortably, as well as a rover to provide mobility around the surface. We also need satellites to communicate with Earth, and to scan the surface.
View attachment 44209

We will also need an orbital module to remain in space around the moon, and of course a lot of fuel to bring all this to Jupiter. I will go for a direct transfer to Jupiter, cause its much easier than to use gravity assistances, especially with the new navigation system. That also requires fuel.
View attachment 44210

However, this fuel is still not enough (at least I thought it didn’t). We need even MORE fuel (No, I’m not going to spam fuel tanks, I’ll just pack enough to travel comfortably).

This launch will be made by a reusable rocket, my new Galilea III, a 1.5 revamp of the Galilea II. This rocket can carry 500 tons to orbit, and everything, except the fairing, returns to Earth safely.
View attachment 44211

I used a couple of drones to install the auxiliary fuel tanks on the JTS.
View attachment 44212

Next one is the Callisto Orbital and Earth Return Stage (COERS). This launch will also be made by a reusable Galilea III rocket.
View attachment 44213

Alright, now its time to send the lander with the crew and depart! I think I’ll send 4 astronauts on this mission. 2 of them will be on Callisto’s surface and the other 2 will remain in orbit.

Delivering crew is the job of a shuttle. So, my STS Stalwart Chimera will take it.
View attachment 44214

Alright, the ship is ready, time to depart!
View attachment 44215

And we’re here!
View attachment 44216

One satellite will follow a prograde orbit, while the other one will follow a retrograde orbit, they will both circularize around the moon at 50 km, the orbital module will remain at 35 km.
Once the surface scan has been completed and mission control has selected the best location to land, its time to deploy the surface module.
View attachment 44217

Anyway, I wouldn’t call this an awesome base, its just a little habitat so our astronauts can feel a little bit more comfortable than inside the lander.
Next up is the exploration of Callisto, but that will be for tomorrow. Yep, I’m tired of writing, guys, tomorrow I’ll post the rest of the mission.

Thank you all for reading what I have so far!
That is very NICE MISSSION!!!

Terrain mapping and over-the-horizon communications. To be honest, I'd say they'd be a necessity for any serious colonisation attempts
can they be a comms for Earth-Sat-Callisto Base right???

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
can they be a comms for Earth-Sat-Callisto Base right???
Depending on how he'd have it set up. You'd definitely need them for longer range ground to ground communications, as in the installation to any away teams that are beyond the horizon. Same if you want to have any hope of talking to the orbital facility if it's beyond the horizon as well.
Then either they handle the Callisto - Earth communications, or the orbital base acts as that part of the set up. Or both do.

Depending on how he'd have it set up. You'd definitely need them for longer range ground to ground communications, as in the installation to any away teams that are beyond the horizon. Same if you want to have any hope of talking to the orbital facility if it's beyond the horizon as well.
Then either they handle the Callisto - Earth communications, or the orbital base acts as that part of the set up. Or both do.
Information overload

o_Oo_Oo_O

Mars Pathfinder

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Ah i see..... Its nice if the Sats. can do Comms at the same time gettin more pics. :D :D :D

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
That is how you plan just one part of a mission. Taking a problem and burning it down to its smallest requirements and building a solution from that.

Ah i see..... Its nice if the Sats. can do Comms at the same time gettin more pics.
Yeah, exactly. Whilst they're whizzing around the place taking topographical readings, imagery in a few different spectra and possibly even local orbital data collection, they'll need to broadcast that data at somepoint to somewhere. May as well equip it to handle external communications as well whilst it's there.

Mars Pathfinder

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Yeah, exactly. Whilst they're whizzing around the place taking topographical readings, imagery in a few different spectra and possibly even local orbital data collection, they'll need to broadcast that data at somepoint to somewhere. May as well equip it to handle external communications as well whilst it's there.
Like those MRO, MGS, Mars Odyssey they can relay comms from ground while doin some recon while in orbit right??