Efficiency Improvements

IMG_20190808_165403.jpg
This is my first medium Weight Re-usable Launch Vehicle.
It is capable of putting a 115 T into LEO, and into an eliptical Mars/Venus Orbit with refueling.

I wanted to know how i can improve this Rocket, so it performs better.
The TWR may be a little to high, but it won't work with smaller Engines.

Attachments

Chara-cter

37°14′0″N 115°48′30″W
Man on the Moon
Registered
View attachment 24923 This is my first medium Weight Re-usable Launch Vehicle.
It is capable of putting a 115 T into LEO, and into an eliptical Mars/Venus Orbit with refueling.

Very cool!
Too bad I'm on iOS so I can't use it (I don't have the DLC)

Chara-cter

37°14′0″N 115°48′30″W
Man on the Moon
Registered

Btw, can you show what inside the faring?

SupremeDorian

Idiotic Professor
Professor
Registered

My tablet doesn't work right now so I can't test this, but it looks like the outer 2 engines on the first stage will run out of fuel before the inner engines. A solution to this is to connect all of those fuel tanks by putting a larger fuel tank at the bottom, and then put the engines on that. You might need to use multiple large tanks for this. This connects the fuel tanks so every engine takes from one fuel source.

My tablet doesn't work right now so I can't test this, but it looks like the outer 2 engines on the first stage will run out of fuel before the inner engines. A solution to this is to connect all of those fuel tanks by putting a larger fuel tank at the bottom, and then put the engines on that. You might need to use multiple large tanks for this. This connects the fuel tanks so every engine takes from one fuel source.
That works as intended, they provide a massive Amount of Thrust, and the Core stage has enough TWR to carry it to Space and land them safely on Earth once they run out after 21.6 secounds.
I know that i could get rid of them as soon as they would run out of Fuel, but that would make the Recovery really hard.

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
That works as intended, they provide a massive Amount of Thrust, and the Core stage has enough TWR to carry it to Space and land them safely on Earth once they run out after 21.6 secounds.
I know that i could get rid of them as soon as they would run out of Fuel, but that would make the Recovery really hard.
So, why don't you get rid of them, like Boosters, If they run out of fuel So fast

Tony

Registered

This forum is a place of sharing. We are modest. The fact of sharing advances the constructions. Thank you you are here. welcome

SupremeDorian

Idiotic Professor
Professor
Registered
I'm not saying get rid of them, I'm saying you should make them all feed from one fuel source so that the outer engines don't turn off before the inner ones. With my suggestion, you'll get more burn time out of the Titans and every engine will run out of fuel at the same time, thus increasing efficiency due to there being less dead weight.

I'm not saying get rid of them, I'm saying you should make them all feed from one fuel source so that the outer engines don't turn off before the inner ones. With my suggestion, you'll get more burn time out of the Titans and every engine will run out of fuel at the same time, thus increasing efficiency due to there being less dead weight.
I have reworked the first Stage, and now it performes much worse.
I had to modify the second Stage to, because it needed a higher TWR, due to the inefficient first Stage.
the Titan 3B had 4.143t of Rocket per Ton of Payload, the Titan 2C only has 5.138.

I would like to see how efficient your Rockets are, just divide the Weight of the Rocket by the Weight of the Payload.

Attachments

Last edited:

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
That would only give me about 1.38t more Payload.
so i have achieved (near) maximum Efficiency ?
I use a stupidly shallow Ascend Profile, which is not Realistic at all, and won't work at all if Stef fixes Drag in the next Update.
So that may be the Reason why it works so well
That makes sense, gaining as much horizontal speed as possible whilst the base stage was still firing. Drag is a bawlbag and either doesn't make an appearance or hits you like you're flying through treacle.

But yeah, pretty much. It certainly wouldn't be worth completely rebuilding it for that little gain.

SupremeDorian

Idiotic Professor
Professor
Registered
I have reworked the first Stage, and now it performes much worse.
I had to modify the second Stage to, because it needed a higher TWR, due to the inefficient first Stage.
the Titan 3B had 4.143t of Rocket per Ton of Payload, the Titan 2C only has 5.138.

I would like to see how efficient your Rockets are, just divide the Weight of the Rocket by the Weight of the Payload.
Could you provide some screenshots of your rework? My tablet isn't working so I can't view the BP file.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Here you go.
I even ditched the Probe of the first Stage just to make it less inefficient.
You may as well get rid of the landing attire as well then dude, you won't be able to re-use it

SupremeDorian

Idiotic Professor
Professor
Registered
Here you go.
I even ditched the Probe of the first Stage just to make it less inefficient.
Ah, there's why it's getting less performance. What I was saying was something like this:
Mockup Rocket.png

Those boxes at the bottom are the fuel tanks connecting the 2 fuel sources. This way, you can have those 4 engines like normal, and it should be more efficient.

Ah, there's why it's getting less performance. What I was saying was something like this:
View attachment 24946

Those boxes at the bottom are the fuel tanks connecting the 2 fuel sources. This way, you can have those 4 engines like normal, and it should be more efficient.
That didn't change much.
This is (probably) the secound most efficient Rocket on the Forum, there's just the one that Horus made for the 100 and 1Up Challenge.
https://jmnet.one/sfs/forum/index.php?threads/100-and-1-up.3313/
but even he "only" got 4.015t per Ton of Payload.
So im only 0.128t below him, which is enough to be honest.