Chara-cter

37°14′0″N 115°48′30″W
Man on the Moon
Registered
my method
fly with full speed into traget
but with unbreakable parts
that stops my ship and i can dock......
tbh I never used cheat (bc I didn't buy the DLC lol)
I don't like relying on cheat to do everything
Docking is simple, just let 2 spacecraft slowly touching each other
Rendezvous is another story, I used cheats (1.35 on PC) for my first time trying. After that, I got rid of using cheats completely

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
For some reason that makes the impossible possible in a movie.
Depends on how the film defines 'impossible'. It's just TARS opinion that the manoeuvre isn't achievable with the timeframe they have before the Endurance de-orbits itself or the human crew succumb to the g-forces and everyone dies. Cooper has no choice but to attempt it though, otherwise it's mission fail and the human race is doomed.

He flew into a black hole, I don't think the movie is extremely accurate
Isn't Interstellar used as an example of exactly how a black hole and its event horizon looks and acts?
Also, I get that it does take some creative licence (especially where he's floating behind her bookcase etc) but I do remember watching a talk on wormholes and FTL travel with Brian Cox and from what he was saying is the maths and theories support using 'folded spacetime' / wormholes to shortcut across enormous distances without technically breaking the lightbarrier, but the materials don't exist in the real world to attain the properties required.
The materials he is referencing basically need to have such enormous energy and density that they can on-command exert so much force on the universe that it pulls space time together, allowing places that are usually enormous distances apart to be right next to each other.
Kinda like what the event horizon of a black hole is.
The other problem is once you push something through this theoretical hole that has mass or carries information (including a light beam), it changes the delicate balance and the entire thing collapses.

Earl

Builder of Stupid Rockets // Pres Ben //|**|\\
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Depends on how the film defines 'impossible'. It's just TARS opinion that the manoeuvre isn't achievable with the timeframe they have before the Endurance de-orbits itself or the human crew succumb to the g-forces and everyone dies. Cooper has no choice but to attempt it though, otherwise it's mission fail and the human race is doomed.

Isn't Interstellar used as an example of exactly how a black hole and its event horizon looks and acts?
Also, I get that it does take some creative licence (especially where he's floating behind her bookcase etc) but I do remember watching a talk on wormholes and FTL travel with Brian Cox and from what he was saying is the maths and theories support using 'folded spacetime' / wormholes to shortcut across enormous distances without technically breaking the lightbarrier, but the materials don't exist in the real world to attain the properties required.
The materials he is referencing basically need to have such enormous energy and density that they can on-command exert so much force on the universe that it pulls space time together, allowing places that are usually enormous distances apart to be right next to each other.
Kinda like what the event horizon of a black hole is.
The other problem is once you push something through this theoretical hole that has mass or carries information (including a light beam), it changes the delicate balance and the entire thing collapses.
Well I mean, he did escape the black hole, and only get out like 60 years later...

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Next lessom
Dock o in Atmospheric flight withoiT cheats
Could be fun for a high stakes docking maneuver. I've docked at very low level with a de-orbital flight path before, but it'd be very difficult to set up one where the object you're docking with is below the karman line throughout as it just won't stay there for long.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
It depends on your priorities really. Like I know some people in KSP that have been to and landed on every orbital body, yet never managed a successful dock cos its really hard the first few times and I had done a mun landing before I really got docking nailed down.

Though, in general (and especially in SFS) I agree that docking should be learned before you go outside Earths SOI or try landing anywhere.

If I was making a list of priorities for newcomers to learn to become proficient in this and other realistic space games, I'd suggest this order
  1. Get off the ground. Doesn't have be efficient, or even half decent. Just learn what it takes to get a rocket off the floor.
  2. Attain LEO. Again, not looking for super efficiency or weight lifting competitions. Just learn how to reliably get into space and stay there.
  3. Orbital manoeuvres. What prograde/retrograde (and by extension normal/radial etc) are, what they do for you and how you do them.
  4. Encounters. With anything, be that a planet, moon, space station, whatever. Learn how to cross paths with a thing in space.
  5. Docking. And I don't mean space stations, just attaching yourself to something else floating in space. This includes something as simple as flipping the CSM over and re-attaching in your classic 'Apollo' mission
  6. Celestial encounters and staying inside a new SOI. Why docking first? Because if you can dock, you can get into an orbit with a new body.
  7. De-orbital actions and landing, parachute assisted first and then powered.
After that, then build crazy shit like spaceplanes and kiloton capacity re-useable starships and incrementally go bigger and better with it. If you go too hard too early, it ruins the game for you.
An example I'll use, is friend of mine I used to work/skydive with went from skateboarding to freefall parachuting to BASE jumping inside of 12 months and skipped all the stuff inbetween in search of MAOR. He freely admits that he made a mistake progressing so fast because once he started jumping off buildings in London city centre, everything else is boring, including getting out of an aircraft at 15,000ft. And he reached that point before he hit his early twenties. Now if skydiving is boring, can you imagine how boring theme parks are? It ruined his enjoyment of everything that wasn't standing on a cliff edge in Norway or an antenna next to the M4.
SFS is the same. They've bought the DLC, downloaded the most mahoosive launch system available, put a bajillion tons into jupiter SOI in the first day they had the game and then gone 'I'm BORED, give me ideas plz' and not gone through the game itself, how the mechanics work, failing loads (I'll speak for everyone here and say that it doesn't matter how good you are, there's a quicksave for every manoeuvre you do just in case it goes wrong) and (for a lack of a better term) earning the right to say you're bored because the game legitimately holds no challenge for you any more.

And then go on the challenge section here and test that theory out.

Try deep space docking, haven’t tried in 1.5 yet but I imagine it’s improved
That's one thing I never enjoyed doing in SFS or KSP, docking outside an SOI. I did a first asteroid capture friday night just outside Kerbin SOI and brought it back to a medium orbit inside but it was a lot harder than expected (not least because of KSPs spaghetti physics prevented me from getting it into the planned low orbit).

I went through a too much too fast now what period but it’s really just a headspace issue, nuance is limitless and just because I can force a massively inefficient rocket to construct a massively ugly space station doesn’t mean it’s over as long as I can step back and think ‘now better’;
Best trick of mind is browsing the Challenge thread which is what brought me to this forum to begin with

When you’ve banged out basic ability consider things in a new light:

Aesthetics, Efficiency, and a story of what Earth is doing to conquer the Solar System in your world with your builds

T

TtTOtW

Here's my recommend list:
Get a rocket in orbit.
Get a payload in orbit.
Dock.
Orbit the Moon.
Land on the Moon.
Return to - and land capsule on - Earth.
Space Station around Earth.
Apollo mission.
Take a payload to Mars orbit.
Land on Phobos or Deimos.
Land on Mars.
Mars return mission.
Space Station around Mars.
Build ISS.
Gravity assist with Moon.
Aerobrake with Venus.
Gravity assist with Venus, try to reach Mercury.
Land on Mercury.
Mars rover.
Moon rover.
Build a space plane.
Build a space shuttle.
VEEGA.
Jupiter assist.
Jupiter orbit.
Jupiter moon assist to lower orbit.
Callisto landing.
Jupiter return mission.
Mercury return mission.
Venus return mission.

Now first of all, these are all to be done without either cheats or Ion engines. Also, no using any downloaded rockets, only your own original builds. When you reach the end of this list, you'll a) be a legit expert, b) realise how it is really hard, nay, near impossible, to exhaust your options in SFS, c) feel disgusted with cheats, and d) probably have new ideas all the time and hardly ever, if at all, be genuinely bored with the game.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
When you reach the end of this list, you'll a) be a legit expert
ha, not withstanding that I don't agree with everything on this list or the length of it for varying reasons, there's a few on this list I've not even done.

Get a rocket in orbit.
Get a payload in orbit.
Dock.
Orbit the Moon.
Land on the Moon.
Return to - and land capsule on - Earth.
Space Station around Earth.

Apollo mission.
Take a payload to Mars orbit.
Land on Phobos or Deimos.
Land on Mars.
Mars return mission.
Space Station around Mars.

Build ISS.
Gravity assist with Moon.
Aerobrake with Venus.
Gravity assist with Venus, try to reach Mercury.
Land on Mercury.
Mars rover.

Moon rover.
Build a space plane.
Build a space shuttle.
VEEGA.
Jupiter assist.
Jupiter orbit.
Jupiter moon assist to lower orbit.

Callisto landing.
Jupiter return mission.
Mercury return mission.

Venus return mission.

probably have new ideas all the time and hardly ever, if at all, be genuinely bored with the game.
Or give you legitimate reason for being bored with the game once the challenge goes.