Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Can you create Dragon V2
Here is my Dragon V2. I am stuck on iOS so no .bp edit for me. It is definitely underpowered with just the rcs, but if you edit an engine into it it would be good to go!
6E6135A4-22B5-4388-8BAB-4BEFD2972E00.jpeg
3FF8EF55-29B1-45E8-9D68-910D733A15E3.jpeg

Here is the bp:
13A38C61-0703-4225-A0B2-945270E59353.png

SFSAbhishek

/<***@Intricate Crafts are Mine✓***>\
Star Forger
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Can we also have a Single Stage Falcon Rocket

SFSAbhishek

/<***@Intricate Crafts are Mine✓***>\
Star Forger
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
That thing is stupidly overpowered. 2.66 TWR???
If you had two options for first stage i:e
1) More fuel , less TWR
2)Less fuel , more TWR
You should always choose second one cause, from ground to orbit we need more thrust , once we are in orbit we can even use ion engine for saving fuel.

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
If you had two options for first stage i:e
1) More fuel , less TWR
2)Less fuel , more TWR
You should always choose second one cause, from ground to orbit we need more thrust , once we are in orbit we can even use ion engine for saving fuel.
ERROR! SYSTEM CRASHING
_20200208_134316.JPG

Very, very, very bad choice.

If your TWR is extremely high, like in your case, you're gonna liftoff very fast and you'll fight less the gravity, yes. But, guess what? The Drag will eat all your extra speed.

In case you don't know it, drag is the square of the velocity, which means, If you go faster, you'll be increasing your drag exponentially.

The ideal TWR is 1.2-1.4, where you don't fight gravity too much, and you don't fight drag too much.

Horus Lupercal and Altaïr can provide you so many mathematical reasons why your choice is a mistake, so, I'll just leave that to them.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Are you flying with the drag bug? That's the only reason why you're getting away with that high TWR.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
ERROR! SYSTEM CRASHING
View attachment 32795
Very, very, very bad choice.

If your TWR is extremely high, like in your case, you're gonna liftoff very fast and you'll fight less the gravity, yes. But, guess what? The Drag will eat all your extra speed.

In case you don't know it, drag is the square of the velocity, which means, If you go faster, you'll be increasing your drag exponentially.

The ideal TWR is 1.2-1.4, where you don't fight gravity too much, and you don't fight drag too much.

Horus Lupercal and Altaïr can provide you so many mathematical reasons why your choice is a mistake, so, I'll just leave that to them.
Blazer is right, such a high TWR is counter productive. Especially that as you consume fuel, the TWR rises even more, so if you start with a high value, imagine how much you will end up with... For example it happened to me that for leaving Venus or Mars, I had to lower my throttle to save fuel (I did that on my Grand Tour for example). I made sure to always keep my TWR below 2, because above this value, thrust raises drag more than it increases your speed.

Now if we speak about leaving a body without atmosphere that's different. Now your only opponent is gravity, and gaining quickly speed means you'll fight it during a shorter time, so in this case it's defendable. But I wouldn't push the reasoning too far either, because bodies with no atmosphere also have a low gravity, so an overkill TWR shouldn't be an objective in itself. Especially that more engines means more mass and thus less delta-V. So in this case I would say just use what you need, you don't need a hammer to crush a fly :)