Feature idea/request: part grouping (action groups)

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
When Ukrrooter talks about grouped fuel tanks, I think he doesn't necessarily means "physically grouped". Fuel tanks that touch eachother already behave as a single one, but he would like to be able to define a group compound of separate fuel tanks.
Yes, you actually get it.

Nah man, I get exactly what he means. The ability to cross feed random fuel tanks across a build simultaneously, like you can in KSP. I'm pretty sure I already said that. He wants something like the actions tab, where you can assign part actions to a keyboard key press like specific lights go on when you press U or landing gear comes down when you press G and can have another 10 groups assigned to the number keys (press one to activate/de-activate a group of engines).

Like I've also already said to him though, i do hope he has ideas for how the UI will handle this outside the build screen during lets say...a space station where you might not want all the solar panels everywhere to open (cos some might be on a random craft and the only way it fits is with the panels folded).
How are you going to stop or un-group those panels? Individual rover wheels that you may now not need?

Or as you say, pad assembled large rockets. How do you intend in-game on telling the game that you're selecting more than one 'group' in flight (example, the booster pair on the Tsar, which are separate build screens entirely from each other and the core) and then telling the game to cross feed the boosters into the core simultaneously.

I suspect the answer will be how I said earlier as well. Exactly how KSP does it, with a context menu that will somehow be summoned.

Nah man, I get exactly what he means. The ability to cross feed random fuel tanks across a build simultaneously, like you can in KSP. I'm pretty sure I already said that. He wants something like the actions tab, where you can assign part actions to a keyboard key press like specific lights go on when you press U or landing gear comes down when you press G and can have another 10 groups assigned to the number keys (press one to activate/de-activate a group of engines).

Like I've also already said to him though, i do hope he has ideas for how the UI will handle this outside the build screen during lets say...a space station where you might not want all the solar panels everywhere to open (cos some might be on a random craft and the only way it fits is with the panels folded).
How are you going to stop or un-group those panels? Individual rover wheels that you may now not need?

Or as you say, pad assembled large rockets. How do you intend in-game on telling the game that you're selecting more than one 'group' in flight (example, the booster pair on the Tsar, which are separate build screens entirely from each other and the core) and then telling the game to cross feed the boosters into the core simultaneously.

I suspect the answer will be how I said earlier as well. Exactly how KSP does it, with a context menu that will somehow be summoned.
Yeah, KSP way of opening the same editor both in assembly and in flight seems good to me.

SFSAbhishek

/<***@Intricate Crafts are Mine✓***>\
Star Forger
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
yo im working on a mod that adds python flight programming support
Wow man that would be insane!!
But I guess keywords would be better. Like if you have played simplerockets 2 you will understand, if not see it on YouTube.
If that happens even at initial level, I would love to contribute, and we will surely make it to a level where auto-landing will become reality on SFS!:cool::)

Wow man that would be insane!!
But I guess keywords would be better. Like if you have played simplerockets 2 you will understand, if not see it on YouTube.
If that happens even at initial level, I would love to contribute, and we will surely make it to a level where auto-landing will become reality on SFS!:cool::)
I've played SR2, but I'm super fluent in python (and have alr found a way to run it in-game) so that's what I went with. TBH Python is probably easier to implement. Add me on Discord if u wanna collab ig @Ricky-personal#0094

Hello,

You may start from here if you want to learn modding.
That sounds promising, if you manage to do it that will be awesome.
*sighs* the number of times i've read that guide ...
I really wish there was a better documentation.
thanks though, i appreciate any help i can get.

(Not that i'm bad at coding in any way, [sorry for bragging], SFS modding is just a really badly documented subject.)

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
*sighs* the number of times i've read that guide ...
I really wish there was a better documentation.
thanks though, i appreciate any help i can get.

(Not that i'm bad at coding in any way, [sorry for bragging], SFS modding is just a really badly documented subject.)
That could be better for sure, but honestly at some point you'll have to put your fingers into it. That's the hard job of modder o_O
Also, most modders publish their code on Github, so you can also have a look at a project that is relatively close to what you're trying to do, it can give you a good basis.

Also if you are on the Discord server, you can ask for help in the modding channel, the other modders and even the devs sometimes are there to give some advice. :)