• Jupiter (Europa)

Votes: 10 52.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Okay, as you guys probably know, I’ve been building a lot of surface bases these days, so I’ve though to create a thread where I post them all, not only to showcase the bases themselves, but to expose my current colonization schema, before moving on to another planet. Don’t worry, I ‘ll make this thread as short as possible.

So, let’s get started:

Earth:
• International Space Station (ISS): The oldest of my orbital stations, and the one that I feel proud the most. Its in a 400 km height perfectly circular orbit. Built with Base Game only. It houses 7 people.
01 ISS.png

Moon:
• Tranquility Station: A small lunar research station made with base game parts only. Its in a 15 km perfect circular orbit. Used as a headquarters for the lunar colonization team. It houses 5 people.
02 Tranquility Station.png

• Armstrong Base: My first ever lunar base. Built originally with Base Game only, then expanded recently with new DLC modules to increase its crew capacity and production. Its main objective its research. Its designed for 20 people.
03 Armstrong Base.png

• Aldrin Base: Winner of a medal in the SFS Original Design Contest. Its designed only for 10 people. The outward domes are greenhouses, while the inner ones were converted into crew habitats. At this day, this is may only pure Base Game surface colony on the game (All the others have been upgraded with DLC parts).
04 Aldrin Base.png

• Collins Base: My last lunar base. Keeps only some few modules from the original Base Game design. It is now a mega base, designed for 20 people, between scientists and colonists. It was upgraded recently with DLC parts, just like the Armstrong Base.
05 Collins Base.png

That concludes our Earth Tour. We also have the Earth-Moon satellite network, which I will proximately relocate with Horus’ calculated resonant orbits.

Mars:
• Sagan Spaceport: Winner of a medal in the SFS Original Design Contest. Built with Base Game only. It is the headquarters of the Martian colonization and a gateway to the outer planets. It’s in a 150 km height circular orbit. Its designed for 15 people. I feel really proud of this station. Its is my best interplanetary station.
06 Sagan Spaceport.png

• Base 01 Mars – Curiosity: The first of my modern Mars Bases, located on the top of the Olympus Mons. It is the highest surface base on the solar system (in my game). It is designed for 15 people.
07 Curiosity.png

• Base 02 Phobos – Spirit: Originally designed as a Phobos mobile base (concept that didn’t work, by the way). It houses Ion probes designed to operate in the low gravity of Phobos, with over 5000 m/s of delta V. It is designed for 20 people.
08 Spirit.png

• Base 03 Deimos – Opportunity: Designed to house a large crew of 15 people on the low gravity and anaerobic environment of Deimos. Houses only 1 probe. It was a dual launch base, launched with the EC6, brought to Deimos with the SCV.
09 Opportunity.png

• Base 04 Mars – Sojourner: It is a single launch Mars Base, brought here with the EC6. It houses a crew of 25 people, and it is the biggest of my Mars Bases. Totally independent from the rest of the world, it is capable to produce food for a larger population and to supply any of the other bases in case of an emergency. It has a nuclear reactor (stored in the structure to the right of the garage), which makes it capable to survive the large Martian sandstorms.
11 Sojourner.png

• Base 05 Mars – Viking: Is also a single launch Mars Base, and the last of my permanent settlements on the Red Planet. Designed for a crew of 25 people that came here with the base. An escape vehicle will be added soon. Creates a lot of lag…
12 Viking.png

All that’s left to show is the Martian Satellite Network, which I won’t show on this post because I need to move them to resonant orbits.

Well, that’s it. That’s pretty much I have to show. No comes the other part of this thread:

I have done with the Moon and Mars… where should I go next?

There are two choices: Venus and Jupiter (Europa). I honestly can’t decide between these two targets, cause honestly Venus is my favorite planet, but Europa is my favorite moon (I’m not saying they are the best). They both will present their own challenges, and I’m sure they both will entertain me and keep me busy for a while. So, please vote on the poll above.

That’s all. Thank you for reading till the end :)

Tony

Registered
Okay, as you guys probably know, I’ve been building a lot of surface bases these days, so I’ve though to create a thread where I post them all, not only to showcase the bases themselves, but to expose my current colonization schema, before moving on to another planet. Don’t worry, I ‘ll make this thread as short as possible.

So, let’s get started:

Earth:
• International Space Station (ISS): The oldest of my orbital stations, and the one that I feel proud the most. Its in a 400 km height perfectly circular orbit. Built with Base Game only. It houses 7 people.
View attachment 26112

Moon:
• Tranquility Station: A small lunar research station made with base game parts only. Its in a 15 km perfect circular orbit. Used as a headquarters for the lunar colonization team. It houses 5 people.
View attachment 26114

• Armstrong Base: My first ever lunar base. Built originally with Base Game only, then expanded recently with new DLC modules to increase its crew capacity and production. Its main objective its research. Its designed for 20 people.
View attachment 26113

• Aldrin Base: Winner of a medal in the SFS Original Design Contest. Its designed only for 10 people. The outward domes are greenhouses, while the inner ones were converted into crew habitats. At this day, this is may only pure Base Game surface colony on the game (All the others have been upgraded with DLC parts).
View attachment 26115

• Collins Base: My last lunar base. Keeps only some few modules from the original Base Game design. It is now a mega base, designed for 20 people, between scientists and colonists. It was upgraded recently with DLC parts, just like the Armstrong Base.
View attachment 26116

That concludes our Earth Tour. We also have the Earth-Moon satellite network, which I will proximately relocate with Horus’ calculated resonant orbits.

Mars:
• Sagan Spaceport: Winner of a medal in the SFS Original Design Contest. Built with Base Game only. It is the headquarters of the Martian colonization and a gateway to the outer planets. It’s in a 150 km height circular orbit. Its designed for 15 people. I feel really proud of this station. Its is my best interplanetary station.
View attachment 26117

• Base 01 Mars – Curiosity: The first of my modern Mars Bases, located on the top of the Olympus Mons. It is the highest surface base on the solar system (in my game). It is designed for 15 people.
View attachment 26118

• Base 02 Phobos – Spirit: Originally designed as a Phobos mobile base (concept that didn’t work, by the way). It houses Ion probes designed to operate in the low gravity of Phobos, with over 5000 m/s of delta V. It is designed for 20 people.
View attachment 26119

• Base 03 Deimos – Opportunity: Designed to house a large crew of 15 people on the low gravity and anaerobic environment of Deimos. Houses only 1 probe. It was a dual launch base, launched with the EC6, brought to Deimos with the SCV.
View attachment 26120

• Base 04 Mars – Sojourner: It is a single launch Mars Base, brought here with the EC6. It houses a crew of 25 people, and it is the biggest of my Mars Bases. Totally independent from the rest of the world, it is capable to produce food for a larger population and to supply any of the other bases in case of an emergency. It has a nuclear reactor (stored in the structure to the right of the garage), which makes it capable to survive the large Martian sandstorms.
View attachment 26121

• Base 05 Mars – Viking: Is also a single launch Mars Base, and the last of my permanent settlements on the Red Planet. Designed for a crew of 25 people that came here with the base. An escape vehicle will be added soon. Creates a lot of lag…
View attachment 26122

All that’s left to show is the Martian Satellite Network, which I won’t show on this post because I need to move them to resonant orbits.

Well, that’s it. That’s pretty much I have to show. No comes the other part of this thread:

I have done with the Moon and Mars… where should I go next?

There are two choices: Venus and Jupiter (Europa). I honestly can’t decide between these two targets, cause honestly Venus is my favorite planet, but Europa is my favorite moon (I’m not saying they are the best). They both will present their own challenges, and I’m sure they both will entertain me and keep me busy for a while. So, please vote on the poll above.

That’s all. Thank you for reading till the end :)
Request for info. I have built many things that I do not necessarily share. I always tried to respect the real altitude. My question in games what is the mathematical relationship. my ISS is 400 km away.

Blazer Ayanami

Registered
Forum Legend
Request for info. I have built many things that I do not necessarily share. I always tried to respect the real altitude. My question in games what is the mathematical relationship. my ISS is 400 km away.
I don't understand what you mean. Are you asking why is the ISS at 400 km height? or Why did I share my builds?

Tony

Registered
No, I know that. translation issue. on the construction matrix 2 square = 1 meter in the game. 400 km in the game = 400 km in reality

Blazer Ayanami

Registered
Forum Legend
No, I know that. translation issue. on the construction matrix 2 square = 1 meter in the game. 400 km in the game = 400 km in reality
No, 400 km in Real-Life is not 400 km in the game. The game is scaled down, remember? A real scale ISS should me much lower than 400 km. But I think I'm gonna call "Altaïr Translate" here...

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
No, 400 km in Real-Life is not 400 km in the game. The game is scaled down, remember? A real scale ISS should me much lower than 400 km. But I think I'm gonna call "Altaïr Translate" here...
Oooh, no I get it.

Tony, your build screen measurement is correct, but the celestial scaling is 1:20. So ISS is at 400km in reality, in SFS thats only 20km. Obviously that's below the Karman line in-game because the atmosphere isn't scaled correctly, So a more 'realistic' altitude would be 35-40km as Roger Jolly says, it's literally grazing the upper atmosphere

Tony

Registered
Oooh, no I get it.

Tony, your build screen measurement is correct, but the celestial scaling is 1:20. So ISS is at 400km in reality, in SFS thats only 20km. Obviously that's below the Karman line in-game because the atmosphere isn't scaled correctly, So a more 'realistic' altitude would be 35-40km as Roger Jolly says, it's literally grazing the upper atmosphere
Thanks for your help. super explanation. Sorry for my translation ;)

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Apparently the problem is solved :)
As Horus said, all bodies are scaled down by a factor 20, and distances are scaled down by a factor 50. With all this it's difficult to recreate a realistic situation ingame.

4KidsOneCamera

Alliance’s New President // Likes SpaceX replicas
Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Oooh, no I get it.

I guess my 50km ISS isn't too far off then!

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
If it’s a tie I say divert to Ganymede
Ganymede would be ridiculously hard to land a base onto. The orbital speed and the terrain makes it one of the hardest places to arrive in one piece. That's why Europa is a good landing site, it's really easy to land large objects on

The problem with Ganymede (Horus beat me to it) is the incredible amount of fuel required to land.
Just shield your Base with Solarpanels, and crash into Ganymede at Orbital Velocity.
Anything below 1200 m/s should be survivable.

My current Prototype can land smaller Payloads at up to 1600 m/s, so scaling it up shouldn't be a Problem

Just shield your Base with Solarpanels, and crash into Ganymede at Orbital Velocity.
Anything below 1200 m/s should be survivable.

My current Prototype can land smaller Payloads at up to 1600 m/s, so scaling it up shouldn't be a Problem
I should try that, currently looking for just the right hole to plant my “oxygen refinery” has been a challenge...
Got a rocket in a 500m orbit for broad scouting and must have scoured 30% with rovers by now, going to have to settle soon