Stellarium

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
It's not the prettiest rocket in the world, but it gets the job done very well.
And this time, the pictures are in order.

Attachments

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
The standards that we look for in this challenge:

1. That the shuttle + booster stack carries at least 10% of its lift-off mass as payload to orbit. So with a mass of 635t for example, it must bring at least a 63.5t payload to orbit. This means you need to juggle the size of your orbiter and booster, so that each is doing an optimal part of the work. In your case, the booster should probably be smaller, and the shuttle should be bigger. Try to decrease the amount of fuel you need, by increasing the TWR, decreasing the amount of left-over fuel, and keeping the dry mass as low as possible.
2. The shuttle should look nicer. :) One of the biggest things is trying to not make it look like a regular rocket with a payload bay, nose, tail and heatshield slapped on. When you're reworking your shuttle, make the tail bigger, the nose look nice, the heatshield fit the nose, etc.
3. You shouldn't need engines or RCS during re-entry. If it's trying to turn counter-clockwise, that means your shuttle is tail-heavy. Try having some of the fuel tanks be in the nose instead of in the back. If you have two separate fuel tanks, one in the back and one in the front, you can transfer unneeded fuel from the back to the front in preparation for re-entry.

Don't hesitate to look at previous entries and others shuttles for inspiration.
Here are some:
Fly me to the moon submission
Fly me to the Moon entry
Fly me to the moon challenge
Shuttle

Stellarium

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
The standards that we look for in this challenge:

1. That the shuttle + booster stack carries at least 10% of its lift-off mass as payload to orbit. So with a mass of 635t for example, it must bring at least a 63.5t payload to orbit. This means you need to juggle the size of your orbiter and booster, so that each is doing an optimal part of the work. In your case, the booster should probably be smaller, and the shuttle should be bigger. Try to decrease the amount of fuel you need, by increasing the TWR, decreasing the amount of left-over fuel, and keeping the dry mass as low as possible.
2. The shuttle should look nicer. :) One of the biggest things is trying to not make it look like a regular rocket with a payload bay, nose, tail and heatshield slapped on. When you're reworking your shuttle, make the tail bigger, the nose look nice, the heatshield fit the nose, etc.
3. You shouldn't need engines or RCS during re-entry. If it's trying to turn counter-clockwise, that means your shuttle is tail-heavy. Try having some of the fuel tanks be in the nose instead of in the back. If you have two separate fuel tanks, one in the back and one in the front, you can transfer unneeded fuel from the back to the front in preparation for re-entry.

Don't hesitate to look at previous entries and others shuttles for inspiration.
Here are some:
Fly me to the moon submission
Fly me to the Moon entry
Fly me to the moon challenge
Shuttle
Ok. Thanks for all your help. :)

Last edited: