Fly Me To The Moon(Technically a Shuttle in LEO)

UN Cosmo Navy

Explorer Program Management - non-dlc
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Under Pressure
Registered
Small payload but good testing subject since I was not ready to dock the thing into a space station.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
No DLC? That's always fun. :)
In your case, there's aesthetic and technical aspects that could be improved.
By the way, you didn't post a screenshot from landing or right before touchdown. Please fix that next time. :)

How heavy was that payload? 10% of that 442t entire mass would imply a minimum of approx 45t. With those tanks, it looks like your payload was about 20t? Not heavy enough for that rocket mass.
So either you need to make the payload bigger, or the rocket lighter, or some combination of both.
1697986601099.png

It looks like you still have lots of your main tank left before landing, about 20%?
And is the other tank for the cargo door or something else?
In any case, extra fuel is worse than useless, it hurts your performance. You could drain some tanks in the buildscreen so you start with a lighter shuttle, gaining efficiency. Or you can swap that extra fuel for more payload.

It's nice that you tried to have a proper hinge, but it's not necessary, and if your shuttle has a "pop-off" door instead that can re-attach, it might look nicer and have extra space for more payload.

Your distribution of parachutes and RCS is not very aesthetic or aerodynamic, I would try clipping or hiding them. Overall you should make your shuttle sleeker, and try make it lighter by finding unnecessary things to delete.

There's no pictures of it, but I suspect your boosters run out of fuel close to the same time as the first stage. That's inefficient, better if the boosters run out well before the first stage does.

Also, your shuttle might require a greater TWR if it detatches from the first stage at close to 1000 m/s. Maybe three valiants?

I suspect that with the appropriate modifications, you could make your shuttle, first stage and booster a lot lighter.

UN Cosmo Navy

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Under Pressure
Registered
No DLC? That's always fun. :)
In your case, there's aesthetic and technical aspects that could be improved.
By the way, you didn't post a screenshot from landing or right before touchdown. Please fix that next time. :)

How heavy was that payload? 10% of that 442t entire mass would imply a minimum of approx 45t. With those tanks, it looks like your payload was about 20t? Not heavy enough for that rocket mass.
So either you need to make the payload bigger, or the rocket lighter, or some combination of both.
View attachment 108530
It looks like you still have lots of your main tank left before landing, about 20%?
And is the other tank for the cargo door or something else?
In any case, extra fuel is worse than useless, it hurts your performance. You could drain some tanks in the buildscreen so you start with a lighter shuttle, gaining efficiency. Or you can swap that extra fuel for more payload.

It's nice that you tried to have a proper hinge, but it's not necessary, and if your shuttle has a "pop-off" door instead that can re-attach, it might look nicer and have extra space for more payload.

Your distribution of parachutes and RCS is not very aesthetic or aerodynamic, I would try clipping or hiding them. Overall you should make your shuttle sleeker, and try make it lighter by finding unnecessary things to delete.

There's no pictures of it, but I suspect your boosters run out of fuel close to the same time as the first stage. That's inefficient, better if the boosters run out well before the first stage does.

Also, your shuttle might require a greater TWR if it detatches from the first stage at close to 1000 m/s. Maybe three valiants?

I suspect that with the appropriate modifications, you could make your shuttle, first stage and booster a lot lighter.
1. I tried to launch the a shuttle of 376.52 tons with three Valiants, no payload
IMG_3002.PNG

IMG_3003.PNG

Made it to orbit. Should I probably add more fuel to the orbiter?
2. IDK what to do with the thing, yes the other fuel is cargo door, BP edited

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Made it to orbit. Should I probably add more fuel to the orbiter?
The best way to find out is by putting on payloads and increasing their size until you find the one that's too big. :)
2. IDK what to do with the thing, yes the other fuel is cargo door, BP edited
Try drain whatever fuel you don't need in the door, probably isn't a hude concern though.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Looks like it is. Keep trying!
From a quite glance at your newest submission, theres a bunch you can experiment with to see how heavy your payload can get, and what unnecessary things you can take off.

UN Cosmo Navy

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Under Pressure
Registered
Here is the final version, payload was a bit more than expected, this is how far I can go with it....
IMG_3149.PNG IMG_3154.PNG IMG_3155.PNG IMG_3157.PNG IMG_3158.PNG IMG_3159.PNG IMG_3161.PNG IMG_3162.PNG IMG_3163.PNG IMG_3164.PNG IMG_3166.PNG
You can see that I clipped a extra shit 6 wide in there.

UN Cosmo Navy

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Under Pressure
Registered

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
So it's technically capable. :)
Issue is that the payload is clipped, and that the shuttle doesn't look as good as it could.

I recommend two things:
1. Rework the shuttle and its rocket, so that it is lighter. Then you won't need as much payload, and that means you don't need to clip the payload.
1.1 You may want to get rid of the hinge to give you more payload space if you can't make the shuttle and rocket light enough.
2. Make it look better. A vague request, but definitely possible.

UN Cosmo Navy

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Under Pressure
Registered
So it's technically capable. :)
Issue is that the payload is clipped, and that the shuttle doesn't look as good as it could.

I recommend two things:
1. Rework the shuttle and its rocket, so that it is lighter. Then you won't need as much payload, and that means you don't need to clip the payload.
1.1 You may want to get rid of the hinge to give you more payload space if you can't make the shuttle and rocket light enough.
2. Make it look better. A vague request, but definitely possible.
So??

UN Cosmo Navy

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Under Pressure
Registered
Here we go....rocket changed, shuttle lighter, heavier and longer payload
IMG_3772.PNG
IMG_3773.PNG
IMG_3774.PNG
IMG_3775.PNG
IMG_3776.PNG
IMG_3777.PNG
IMG_3779.PNG
IMG_3781.PNG
IMG_3782.PNG
IMG_3783.PNG
IMG_3785.PNG
IMG_3786.PNG
IMG_3787.PNG

There you go

Attachments

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
The main issue is that if I haven't made a mistake, your payload still isn't 10% of the lift-off mass. If you think I make a mistake, please provide the numbers and the blueprint.

Other things that aren't necessarily issues:

Well, I know you could still definitely make it look better.... and also without using flat textures, it's not necessary to make a good looking shuttle. Flat textures is a personal choice, though, so I won't pester you about that. I'd still like it if you make the shuttle look nicer.

Your TWR is 1.18 with those 4 hawks? If you make the booster wider, you can fit an extra hawk. Extra TWR is good in this case, will reduce your gravity losses so you can save fuel and lighten the rocket. This could help you reach your payload goal without more payload.

If I guessed your shuttle mass correctly, you only need like 6 parachutes if you put on some landing legs.

UN Cosmo Navy

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Under Pressure
Registered
The main issue is that if I haven't made a mistake, your payload still isn't 10% of the lift-off mass. If you think I make a mistake, please provide the numbers and the blueprint.

Other things that aren't necessarily issues:

Well, I know you could still definitely make it look better.... and also without using flat textures, it's not necessary to make a good looking shuttle. Flat textures is a personal choice, though, so I won't pester you about that. I'd still like it if you make the shuttle look nicer.

Your TWR is 1.18 with those 4 hawks? If you make the booster wider, you can fit an extra hawk. Extra TWR is good in this case, will reduce your gravity losses so you can save fuel and lighten the rocket. This could help you reach your payload goal without more payload.

If I guessed your shuttle mass correctly, you only need like 6 parachutes if you put on some landing legs.
Bigger then the last payload and heavy by around 4 tons
IMG_3832.PNG

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
It's still clipped, so...
I recommend you increase the TWR of the boosters so you can try lightening the whole rocket.