Thinker/INTJ/investigator/Natural Science lover
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Oor, but why the 1st value have decimal places what does it for?

James Brown

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Fine, let me investigate it by myself

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Oor, but why the 1st value have decimal places what does it for?
Oh, I've toyed a bit with this recently, I can explain you.

The first parameter ("Perlin") is the heightmap. You'll find them under the Heightmap folder. This is the shape of your terrain. Perlin is just some random terrain.

The second parameter is the lenght over which the heightmap is spreaded. If the heightmap contains 500 points and is spreaded over 1000 meters, the game wil consider that there is one point every 2 meters.
Then the heightmap is repeated until the planet is fully mapped. For example, if you enter there the circumference of the planet (2×Pi×radius), the heightmap will be spread over the whole planet. If you enter half this value, it will be repeated twice, and so on. Generally (if not always), Stef uses the circumference divided by an integer value (hence the numerous digits after the decimal point). This ensures that the heightmap is repeated a round number of times, otherwise this would generate an anomaly (those who played 1.35 will probably remember that).

The third parameter is the maximal height of the heightmap. The value by which it's spreaded vertically if you prefer. That's why setting it to 0 makes the surface flat: all heights defined in the heightmap are multiplied by 0.

You will often find those "Perlin" heightmap used: that's how Stef generates some random terrain procedurally. He first creates some hills by using perlin over a great lenght/height, then he superimpose smaller hills, by using smaller length/height values, and finally some small bumps and holes with even smaller values.

T

TtTOtW

The first parameter ("Perlin") is the heightmap. You'll find them under the Heightmap folder. This is the shape of your terrain. Perlin is just some random terrain.

The second parameter is the lenght over which the heightmap is spreaded. If the heightmap contains 500 points and is spreaded over 1000 meters, the game wil consider that there is one point every 2 meters.
Then the heightmap is repeated until the planet is fully mapped. For example, if you enter there the circumference of the planet (2×Pi×radius), the heightmap will be spread over the whole planet. If you enter half this value, it will be repeated twice, and so on. Generally (if not always), Stef uses the circumference divided by an integer value (hence the numerous digits after the decimal point). This ensures that the heightmap is repeated a round number of times, otherwise this would generate an anomaly (those who played 1.35 will probably remember that).

The third parameter is the maximal height of the heightmap. The value by which it's spreaded vertically if you prefer. That's why setting it to 0 makes the surface flat: all heights defined in the heightmap are multiplied by 0.

You will often find those "Perlin" heightmap used: that's how Stef generates some random terrain procedurally. He first creates some hills by using perlin over a great lenght/height, then he superimpose smaller hills, by using smaller length/height values, and finally some small bumps and holes with even smaller values.
"THAT'S BRILLIANT!"

James Brown

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered

THANK YOU MASTER 1.5's planet editor is easier to use!!!!

James Brown

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
You're welcome :)
I'm only supposed to be the master of gravity though :p
Now I’m gonna quote your msg cuz I am finding the answer for too long and you finally answered it