Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
So, I've recently obtained the steam version of SFS and wish to get into modding. Though many guides i've seen on the forum; and the internet at large, seem very vague and oddly worded. And the fact that I'm on a mac with apple silicon always makes things unnecessarily more difficult. So, If I want to get started with modding; How would I make a basic custom engine. Mind you i already have textures and things i could use; just like how can i get started with the whole modding thing?

Lemniscate Biscuit

ㅤㅤHelp DeskㅤㅤRL10 Expert
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
MOTY 2023
So, I've recently obtained the steam version of SFS and wish to get into modding. Though many guides i've seen on the forum; and the internet at large, seem very vague and oddly worded. And the fact that I'm on a mac with apple silicon always makes things unnecessarily more difficult. So, If I want to get started with modding; How would I make a basic custom engine. Mind you i already have textures and things i could use; just like how can i get started with the whole modding thing?
Written by yours truly
Custom Part Creation
Yes, it is a WIP but it covers the basics of the dependencies and what not. From their contact one of us or join the Picospace or SFS Discord servers in you have Discord.

Orion

Nuclear bombs in space, die-hard WALL-E fan.
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
You'll need Unity editor, ect.
Here's the full list:
You will need to download the Odin Inspector.
You will need to download Unity 2021.3.1f1.

1. Open up Unity Hub
2. Extract the Modding Toolkit
3. Take the "Modding Toolkit" folder out of the "Spaceflight-Simulator-ModdingToolkit-main" folder.
4. In Unity Hub, click on "Open"
5. Select "Modding Toolkit" from your downloads.
6. Wait for Unity to load.
7. Now inside the Modding Toolkit, click on "Assets" in the top left hand corner.
8. Click on "Import Package" then "Custom Package"
9. Find Odin Inspector, and import the trial.
10. Done! Mod as you wish!

Resources:
Odin Inspector
Unity 2021.3.1f1

mariohobbs

Modder
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Alright, I've installed Unity and odin inspector; not sure what to do now, this guide seems a bit incomplete Custom Part Creation

Orion

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Alright, I've installed Unity and odin inspector; not sure what to do now, this guide seems a bit incomplete Custom Part Creation
The above instructions should cover everything. There's youtube tutorials for making the parts themselves, but the jist of it is right click a part, make a prefab variant, and figure it out from there. That was my philosophy, at least :)

mariohobbs

Modder
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Is there a way I can make a part use some other mod’s fuel source (like electricity from n2o4’s electricity mod)

Orion

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered

mariohobbs

Modder
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Ok, so i'm editing an engine; I'm assuming surface is how normal engines work for collecting fuel, but whats the diff between local and global? Is local like an SRB and Global like an ION engine?

Orion

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Ok, so i'm editing an engine; I'm assuming surface is how normal engines work for collecting fuel, but whats the diff between local and global? Is local like an SRB and Global like an ION engine?
Local only draws fuel from a fuel tank that's touching the engine and global draws from all fuel tanks.