Grand Solar System Tour Challenge

S

sbt

OK, we'd better do this challenge before 1.4 comes out with more planets and makes it impossible :)

Challenge: Land at every planet and moon in the (v1.35) solar system in a single launch.

Rules:
1. Land the same crew capsule on Mercury, Venus, Moon, Mars, Phobos, and Diemos (any order) and return to Earth
2. Only one Earth-based launch allowed
2. No cheats
3. No RCS thrusters (you can re-dock with things from your original launch, you just have to do it without RCS)
4. At least one crew capsule, which has to land on every planet and moon, and then return to Earth
5. Anything you dock with has to go up in the same single launch as your touring crew capsule
6. Anything you dock with has to be controllable (have at least one crew capsule or probe)

For added challenge, see how little fuel you can launch with to complete the challenge

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I'm still working on something like that, but is there a reason to forbid the use of RCS? I know about the RCS glitch of course, but if that's the reason, you could just forbid the use of that glitch... My ship has RCS, but no electric device, so technically I can't use that glitch, is that ok?

T

TtTOtW

I'm still working on something like that, but is there a reason to forbid the use of RCS? I know about the RCS glitch of course, but if that's the reason, you could just forbid the use of that glitch... My ship has RCS, but no electric device, so technically I can't use that glitch, is that ok?
The glitch is not electric, but fuel definition based. With infinite fuel, dump everything off a probe with activated RCS on it. It still flies, no battery, no fuel. It's basically a trigger glitch. Infinite fuel and electricity both interrupt the "out of fuel" trigger, which is supposed to go back to the probe and the fuel associated with it.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
The glitch is not electric, but fuel definition based. With infinite fuel, dump everything off a probe with activated RCS on it. It still flies, no battery, no fuel. It's basically a trigger glitch. Infinite fuel and electricity both interrupt the "out of fuel" trigger, which is supposed to go back to the probe and the fuel associated with it.
Oh Ok thanks, I didn't get that.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Ok, I finally did it! Even if I still used a few RCS (but no glitch!). To make things really challenging, I decided not to rely on ion engines, that would make things pretty easy finally, and I tried to make a rocket... that looks like a rocket! I mean something that's not a shitload of tanks and engines stacked together with huge boosters attached everywhere.

So here is the Harmony ship, designed for the Grand Tour challenge:
Screenshot_20180710-000609_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
To make this possible, I had to think about a different concept from the classical mothership with its lander that travels from one destination to another. This is actually very ineficient. I also used a lot of advanced maneuvers to save as much fuel as possible. But enough talking, let's go!

I turn on the engines, this is now that all begins:
Screenshot_20180710-000639_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
The ship is not that heavy, and the boosters make a very good job. After they have burnt, the second stage can easily achieve the satellisation:
Screenshot_20180710-000906_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
My first destination will be Venus. As this is the most demanding one, this will considerably alleviate my ship when it's done. But to reach Venus, I'll use 2 gravitational slingshots from the Moon. So I first aim for the Moon, and make a fly-by:
Screenshot_20180710-001443_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20180710-001710_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
This first slingshot allows me to get on a higher trajectory. Now, the fun really begins! I plan to send a fuel reserve on Mars, but I'm on the road for the inner planets. So I detach one of my annex ship, and put it on a higher orbit, while the rest of the ship dives again towards the Moon for a second slingshot:
Screenshot_20180710-002154_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20180710-002459_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20180710-002841_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
This pulls me directly on a transfer orbit to Venus. After the Earth has made half a turn around the Sun, I take control over the annex ship, and lowers its orbit to perform a second slingshot. Because the Earth has turned, it pulls it on a transfer orbit to Mars. The situation is now the following one:
Screenshot_20180710-003500_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

To be continued...

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Now I can get back to my main ship, and get a rendez-vous with Venus. Once I enter the SOI, it's time to separate the second annex tank:
Screenshot_20180710-003957_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
The main ship will fly into the thick venusian atmosphere to aerobrake, while the annex ship will fly just above to perform a slingshot and get into a transfer orbit to Mercury. The situation is now the following one:
Screenshot_20180710-004453_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
The main ship keeps lowering its orbit using the atmosphere. Once I reached low orbit, the lander is detached, and put on a reentry trajectory:
Screenshot_20180710-225939_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20180710-010541_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20180710-010607_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
Aaaaand landed! The first destination is reached, and that's not the least one! But that's not over, speaking about Venus, the difficulty is not reaching it, but leaving it. So let's leave and join the annex ship left in orbit:
Screenshot_20180710-010815_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20180710-011723_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
As you can see, I have very little fuel left. To make sure my lander would be as light as possible, I transfered some fuel to the annex ship, and now it's time to transfer it back. The annex ship will be emptied and abandoned, the lander will join Mercury by its own means:
Screenshot_20180710-230447_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
To be continued...

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
The lander has far enough fuel to join Mercury:
Screenshot_20180710-104832_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
The annex ship has already reached its destination and is waiting for me in low Mercury orbit. The one for Mars is still on its way. I manage to dock with my annex ship:
Screenshot_20180710-105927_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
I use it for refuelling (not more than necessary, because satellising my ship around Mercury has drained a lot of fuel!), and go for Mercury!
Screenshot_20180710-111904_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
After a few photos, time to leave and join the annex ship in orbit. I'll transfer the remaining fuel from the annex ship and abandon it:
Screenshot_20180710-232840_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
Now, my next destination is Mars. The question is, considering I have approximately 6 tons of fuel left, is it possible to travel from Mercury to Mars in those conditions?
It surely is, but I'll have to use my favourite trick: the gravitational slingshot. I'll use part of my fuel to pull my ship onto a transfer orbit to Venus, then use 2 slingshots from Venus, and one more from Earth:
Screenshot_20180710-113339_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20180710-113740_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20180710-114011_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20180710-131535_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
By that time, my annex ship has arrived on Mars (Yes it was long!). Now, I just have to get a rendez-vous with Mars, aerobrake, and join the annex ship:
Screenshot_20180710-140958_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
I still have some fuel (despite the fact I had to come from Mercury :eek:), and that annex ship still has a comfortable fuel reserve, so the rest should be easy.

To be continued...

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
The descent on Mars is a piece of cake, as I can use a parachute:
Screenshot_20180710-141911_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
Ok, that was the last planet, let's leave and return to the annex ship:
Screenshot_20180710-143039_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
Now I have to visit the moons. After a lot of reflexion, I thought that the best strategy was to visit Phobos and Deimos with a minimal reserve (which means a light ship), and come back to low orbit to drain what's left of fuel from the annex ship and get back to Earth:
Screenshot_20180710-144133_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20180710-144337_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20180710-144850_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20180710-151317_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Now I just have to get back to Earth... And visit the Moon! This is the only one missing!
Screenshot_20180710-151704_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20180710-152654_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
Now it's done, I just have to get back to Earth:
Screenshot_20180710-153904_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
Finally the Grand Tour is complete!:cool:

The Harmony ship had 442.5 tons of fuel in total, and I only had... 2 tons left at the end of mission :eek:
It's surely possible to use less fuel with ion engines though, but besides that possibility I don't think I could have done better. But hey, I wanted a challenge ;)

J

Joshsstuff

I didn't see this challenge before I started working on the "Rover Orbiter Lander" Challenge.
It's a "Grand Tour" challenge as well, but includes taking the 3 vehicles (Rover Orbiter & Lander)
(2 of the 3 land on the planets)
I've completed the grand tour, but I have enough fuel left to go around again!

After I finish the Challenge I can post it here if you like. My lander has RCS, but I did not use the bug of course.
If your finished with this challenge and want to take it 1 vehicle further, try the R.O.L Challenge!
SFS Forum R.O.L Challenge
Reddit R.O.L Challenge

(There is a point system so the highest score wins.)

Attachments

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Yes, I saw that one too, I'll see if I try it, because those challenges are really time consuming :eek:
And I can't use that technic again as technically there's no orbiter on my ship, but several annex ship (even if they end orbiting lonely around a foreign planet).
Congrats for your performance :)

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
The Harmony ship had 442.5 tons of fuel in total, and I only had... 2 tons left at the end of mission :eek:
Oops, I miscalculated the initial fuel quantity. 442.5 is the weight of the fuel and the tank itself. I actually had 398.25 tons of fuel.

J

Joshsstuff

Yes, I saw that one too, I'll see if I try it, because those challenges are really time consuming :eek:
And I can't use that technic again as technically there's no orbiter on my ship, but several annex ship (even if they end orbiting lonely around a foreign planet).
Congrats for your performance :)
Thank you Altaïr!
I like your Venus lander design. It is very efficient.

You are certainly right about these challenges taking time!
With a slight modification you could make your build an orbiter and compete in the ROL challenge.
It would take more thought to include a Rover, but you will still get points for a lander on the planets you have visited ;)

I Will be making a video of my build soon!

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Thank you Altaïr!
I like your Venus lander design. It is very efficient.

You are certainly right about these challenges taking time!
With a slight modification you could make your build an orbiter and compete in the ROL challenge.
It would take more thought to include a Rover, but you will still get points for a lander on the planets you have visited ;)

I Will be making a video of my build soon!
I've worked a lot on that Venus lander indeed, it's pretty optimized. Even if I could have made it smaller, but I had to fit landing legs on the second stage for the rest of the challenge.
I think I'll reuse that concept for the ROL challenge, and the main annex ship (the central one) will be my orbiter. I'll keep the same logic for the 2 other annex ships, as this is a very efficient strategy, even if it makes the flight plan complex.
The most difficult part will be fitting a rover onto that design...

J

Joshsstuff

The most difficult part will be fitting a rover onto that design...
Your right about that! (the lunar rovers are still on the Moon, Nasa never took them anywhere once they landed :))

I'm nearly finished with my challenge, once done I think I'll head over hear to see what I can use from my design on this one.

The Reddit has the best explanation of the points (For some reason the SFS forums don't allow editing posts :mad:)

R.O.L. Reddit Challenge (Rules & points)

T

TtTOtW

Your right about that! (the lunar rovers are still on the Moon, Nasa never took them anywhere once they landed :))

I'm nearly finished with my challenge, once done I think I'll head over hear to see what I can use from my design on this one.

The Reddit has the best explanation of the points (For some reason the SFS forums don't allow editing posts :mad:)

R.O.L. Reddit Challenge (Rules & points)
You have 5 minutes to edit it after posting

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Ah, ok.
I guess if you want to make some major revisions, you'll just have to start a new thread.:(
If I remember well, being a donator gives more time to edit posts (if anyone can confirm...), but still not that much.