Heaviest payload to moon and back using only stock parts

Warning: this challenge is not easy. The part that makes it hard is the fact that you can only use stock (free) parts and must keep your rocket within the size limits of stock SFS.
Hello,
I've been working on a little challenge for myself recently, and I wanted to see how well the more experienced SFS players can do on this. The challenge is simple (it's hard to do, but simple to say):
  • You must bring your payload to the moon, land it, and bring the payload back. No need to deploy the payload.
  • No parts that are not available in stock SFS, version 1.35. This means no big falcon engine, large fuel tanks, aerodynamic fuselage, etc. Anything that's not in stock SFS 1.35 is disallowed
  • Your rocket must be within the size limits of stock SFS, version 1.35 - meaning that the width of your rocket must be 28 squares or less, and the height must be 60 squares or less
  • The width of your payload bay must be at least 13 squares, and the height must be at least 13 squares
  • The payload bay area must be at least 390 squares
  • The rocket must be 100% reusable. No part of it may be discarded, including fairings (you can use fairings, but you must either keep them attached to the rocket or somehow recover them, propusively, fully intact). Parachutes are not allowed. You must land every part propulsively, on a landing leg or structural part (landing on engines is forbidden - in real life, who would land on the engine?). The rocket parts are allowed to land up to 200 miles downrange, however (e.g. you can land your first stage 200 miles away from the launchpad
  • No unbreakable parts, infinite fuel, etc
  • Heaviest payload wins
Right now I can bring about 3 command modules to the moon and back using a 2 stage rocket (obviously only the 2nd stage lands on the moon). Can anyone beat that?

4KidsOneCamera

Alliance’s New President // Likes SpaceX replicas
Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
There are a lot of really good base game players here on the forum. I'm excited to see were they got.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Stock 1.35, or stock 1.4?

There's not just different parts, things act differently between the 2 versions. The engines are more capable in 1.4, for example

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I was gonna give it a crack anyway, but do it in 1.4 'base game'.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Although, I'm not sure he's thought about it.

The build screen is very restrictive, but the proposed payload area is massive (390 squares 13x13 dimensions).

It’s obvious to see that this thread is only so you can get a rocket.
I HAVE a rocket already, it's just not very good... it can bring 3 command modules to the moon, given all the requirements I put in already. I just wanna see if any of you could make a better rocket. "Stealing" a rocket from someone else isn't very fun, which is why I didn't do that. That's also the reason why I didn't use expansion pack (I'm on PC, I can just press "T" to get expansion) - with no cheats, I can get 4 "mini drones" (command module, RB-48 engine and 5t small fuel tank) to Mars and back with no issues (orbital refueling was used tho), but that's not very fun, is it?
Alright, yeah it was fun, but it felt cheap. IDK why it felt cheap, it just did.

Last edited:
Although, I'm not sure he's thought about it.

The build screen is very restrictive, but the proposed payload area is massive (390 squares 13x13 dimensions).
It is massive. Aerodynamics has been a challenge for me doing it too, but if you think about it, really the payload area is smaller than a large fairing (2 large fairings, one adapter fairing thingy and 1 nose fairing).

Well, i guess i am going t try and create something. This is a good excercise. I like the challenge.
Howeve4, I'm using 1.4 on a mobile device. No way of using 1.35! Gotta find out which parts are forbidden to me, and then i'll get started!

Just one question: why the heck are parachutes not allowed?

Well, i guess i am going t try and create something. This is a good excercise. I like the challenge.
Howeve4, I'm using 1.4 on a mobile device. No way of using 1.35! Gotta find out which parts are forbidden to me, and then i'll get started!

Just one question: why the heck are parachutes not allowed?
Alright, parachutes allowed, just don't use them to recover all stages. Yeah 1.4 works I guess, but the challenge is orders of magnitude harder in 1.35 (the hawk engine in 1.4 is 2.35 times as powerful as in 1.35)

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I fear a response like this makes this forum less hospitable.
I get what you're saying dude, but there is a lot of that going on here with people literally arriving just to download the port, ask when the update is happening and beg someone to build them an SLS/ISS/rotating space station.

the hawk engine in 1.4 is 2.35 times as powerful as in 1.35
It's not so much the lack of power, its the fuel as well. If I remember, the fuel tanks are twice as dense in 1.4 than they are in 1.35. Lifting it isn't an issue, it's fitting enough in for a return lunar trip, which is something like 5286m/s ΔV required, plus change since you're conducting powered landings throughout. Nil parachutes isn't a huge issue as a decent aerobrake package and a shallow de-orbit will bring a freefalling stage down to about 60ish m/s to hoverslam home.

So plan for about 5400m/s ΔV required.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Ergh, oh yeah. Its a different map in 1.35. Cancel my last then, those are 1.4 numbers.

I get what you're saying dude, but there is a lot of that going on here with people literally arriving just to download the port, ask when the update is happening and beg someone to build them an SLS/ISS/rotating space station.
No doubt. But no one accused me of something like that when I proposed my recent, similar challenge. And my challenge was inspired by an earlier one, which was highest payload to LEO with a base game, fully reusable rocket. And no one accused that guy of making a fake challenge just to scam a build.

This challenge is similar, and just because it's a less active forum member doesn't mean he's a noob. I had already landed on every body and even done a Venus return with drag enabled before my first post here. I'm no expert by any means, but if we assume new poster = noob player it's not really fair. To add on top of that the assumption that a challenge idea from a new guy must be a scam for a rocket seems unreasonable to me.

I could be wrong. Can't read any minds. But giving each individual the benefit of the doubt will make this a much more pleasant community than the alternative.