Heaviest payload to moon and back using only stock parts

Danny Batten

Sanctor **《T》** MT/SP/TE/ Governor of Terra SOI
Professor
Registered
No doubt. But no one accused me of something like that when I proposed my recent, similar challenge. And my challenge was inspired by an earlier one, which was highest payload to LEO with a base game, fully reusable rocket. And no one accused that guy of making a fake challenge just to scam a build.

This challenge is similar, and just because it's a less active forum member doesn't mean he's a noob. I had already landed on every body and even done a Venus return with drag enabled before my first post here. I'm no expert by any means, but if we assume new poster = noob player it's not really fair. To add on top of that the assumption that a challenge idea from a new guy must be a scam for a rocket seems unreasonable to me.

I could be wrong. Can't read any minds. But giving each individual the benefit of the doubt will make this a much more pleasant community than the alternative.
I said it from alk the damn rules. No normal challenge has all these rules, normally it has 5

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
No doubt. But no one accused me of something like that when I proposed my recent, similar challenge. And my challenge was inspired by an earlier one, which was highest payload to LEO with a base game, fully reusable rocket. And no one accused that guy of making a fake challenge just to scam a build.

This challenge is similar, and just because it's a less active forum member doesn't mean he's a noob. I had already landed on every body and even done a Venus return with drag enabled before my first post here. I'm no expert by any means, but if we assume new poster = noob player it's not really fair. To add on top of that the assumption that a challenge idea from a new guy must be a scam for a rocket seems unreasonable to me.

I could be wrong. Can't read any minds. But giving each individual the benefit of the doubt will make this a much more pleasant community than the alternative.
Possibly de-railing something here but there's a difference between a new forum member, a new player and someone who is looking for free things delivered to LEO and you can usually tell. Admittedly, I didn't think this was a build hoover, although I can see how Danny does.
No one thought your challenge was a build hoover, because a) you'd been posting a little while first and b) you'd actually done that challenge yourself and posted your results. Which is also the reason no one accused the guy with the other build screen to orbit challenge of stealing builds was because The Blazer has no need to steal a build, he already had a perfectly good, well known launch vehicle and wanted to see if anyone could beat it. Which we did.
I was exactly the same when I eventually made a profile, I'd been playing the game for a while and frequenting the forum for months as a guest but was far from an expert and initially arrived looking for advice, which was freely given.
And i mean lots and lots of advice, especially from Altair. And even though I was fresh on the forum, no one thought I was a noob or stealing anything because I arrived bearing gifts and contributed.

There isn't a culture of 'is new, must be noob, must be turd' here. Faaaar from it. I've spent hours helping newer members, we were all noobs once. For every thread or post you point of us being rude to someone, I can pull 10 of one of us helping out an absolute novice better himself.

I said it from alk the damn rules. No normal challenge has all these rules, normally it has 5
Well, you might be right. But I wonder if it's worth the risk. We might successfully call out someone who's trying to swipe a build. Or we might push away people who would like to present a challenge for us to enjoy, because they're afraid of such a reaction. I don't know. Maybe it's a worthwhile risk.

T
Possibly de-railing something here but there's a difference between a new forum member, a new player and someone who is looking for free things and you can usually tell. Admittedly, I didn't think this was a build hoover, although I can see how Danny does.
No one thought your challenge was a build hoover, because a) you'd been posting a little while first and b) you'd actually done that challenge yourself and posted your results. Which is also the reason no one accused the guy with the other build screen to orbit challenge of stealing builds was because The Blazer has no need to steal a build, he already had a perfectly good, well known launch vehicle and wanted to see if anyone could beat it. Which we did.
I was exactly the same when I eventually made a profile, I'd been playing the game for a while and frequenting the forum for months as a guest but was far from an expert and initially arrived looking for advice, which was freely given.
And i mean lots and lots of advice, especially from Altair. And even though I was fresh on the forum, no one thought I was a noob or stealing anything because I arrived bearing gifts and contributed.

There isn't a culture of 'is new, must be noob, must be turd' here. Faaaar from it. I've spent hours helping newer members, we were all noobs once. For every thread or post you point of us being rude to someone, I can pull 10 of one of us helping out an absolute novice better himself.
That's all cool, and I'm not saying there IS a culture of this kind of assumption. I just wouldn't like to see it happen.

I recognise how good this community can be for a newcomer. While I haven't done much asking for help, that's only because most of my questions were already asked by others and answered by you guys (esp. Altaire lol).

I guess it just seems like not a lot of evidence to go on to say someone's "obviously" looking to swipe a build. I don't guess I'd be too keen to stick around if I thought it would be fun to present a challenge as my first post and took a shot like that.

But I don't mean to keep this going beyond necessary (too late?), so I'll BOT now. I'm personally not in a position to give this challenge a crack at the moment, but hopefully someone will.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I'm personally not in a position to give this challenge a crack at the moment, but hopefully someone will.
Yeah, me either, not in 1.35. I don't have the PC port and all my helpers are calibrated to 1.4. It'd take me longer to alter that than to actually do the challenge haha

Alright, to everyone that's accusing me of trying to steal a rocket - how about this, screenshot the upper stage with payload & payload bay landed on the moon, and screenshot the engines of the 1st stage (after it lands, include the ground in the photo) to prove that you didn't use expansion part engines and to prove you actually landed. Obviously, it's possible to violate the rules of this challenge and still make the screenshots look like you didn't break the rules, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here, this is just a rocket simulator, not life and death lmao. This way I can't see your entire rocket. Happy?

Or if you're not comfortable with even that, how about you just tell me the amount of payload you got to the moon and back, and I'll just give you the benefit of the doubt on that. I didn't post a design because I didn't have the design or screenshots, nor did I have the design fresh on my memory (I made the design a while ago, then I quit sfs for a while, then came back). Once I recreate the rocket and the mission I'll send some screenshots.

4KidsOneCamera

Alliance’s New President // Likes SpaceX replicas
Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Alright, to everyone that's accusing me of trying to steal a rocket - how about this, screenshot the upper stage with payload & payload bay landed on the moon, and screenshot the engines of the 1st stage (after it lands, include the ground in the photo) to prove that you didn't use expansion part engines and to prove you actually landed. Obviously, it's possible to violate the rules of this challenge and still make the screenshots look like you didn't break the rules, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here, this is just a rocket simulator, not life and death lmao. This way I can't see your entire rocket. Happy?

Or if you're not comfortable with even that, how about you just tell me the amount of payload you got to the moon and back, and I'll just give you the benefit of the doubt on that. I didn't post a design because I didn't have the design or screenshots, nor did I have the design fresh on my memory (I made the design a while ago, then I quit sfs for a while, then came back). Once I recreate the rocket and the mission I'll send some screenshots.
I feel like the forum has gone a bit over the top about this. I think that if you don't believe him then don't do the challenge, and if you do believe him then go ahead and give it a shot.

Oh comeon..... and here i am building a frigging rover.

Now i got delta V of 557, which means i'm basically not going anywhere :D
loll, 557 m/s.... Wait how heavy was your rover? I'm in the middle of rebuilding my old design, right now it needs work but can get 4 command modules (plus the second stage, which has a probe itself) to the moon. Still needs to get back, why can't I remember how I did it last time? lmao

Edit:

Just so you know: this "bay area" was even 420 boxes square. However: a payload bay of atleast 13×13 boxes is unrealistic with this rocket design. And on the other hand: 13×13 is not 390 aquares. That means, i need to make it at least 13×30 to fit your demands....

With your demands, as i see it right now. (As an unexperienced player) my best bet would be, to bring like 20-30 tons up there. Than again: why would i need 13×13 or 390square spacing for a 20ton rover or lander?

However, i'm willing to try some different things.

Edit 2: my second idea was, to use fairings anyway. However, the base game fairings are so small(6 wide), that i would need 65 tiles of height just to meet your payload bay requirements. However, the basegame "playground" is just 60 high, as you told us,

So from my standpoint right now, this is pretty much bullocks. And i'm gonna try to either fly to saturn or jupiter.

Zeeray13

Merlin Master
Registered
I get what you're saying dude, but there is a lot of that going on here with people literally arriving just to download the port, ask when the update is happening and beg someone to build them an SLS/ISS/rotating space station.
this is why i should get on the SFS discord server just to make sure my rockets are getting used without credit as i offer up all the .bp.files for my rockets so any person who can and wants to use the rocket can

4KidsOneCamera

Alliance’s New President // Likes SpaceX replicas
Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
this is why i should get on the SFS discord server just to make sure my rockets are getting used without credit as i offer up all the .bp.files for my rockets so any person who can and wants to use the rocket can
I also wonder if any of my builds are being used without my knowledge.

I also wonder if any of my builds are being used without my knowledge.
If ya post it online, mate, I'll bet you $1,000,000,000,000 that someone has used it without your knowledge. That's the beauty of the internet, you don't have to worry about anything being done - if you can think of it, it has been done, or is being done lol.

Last edited:
Edit 2: my second idea was, to use fairings anyway. However, the base game fairings are so small(6 wide), that i would need 65 tiles of height just to meet your payload bay requirements. However, the basegame "playground" is just 60 high, as you told us,

So from my standpoint right now, this is pretty much bullocks. And i'm gonna try to either fly to saturn or jupiter.
Yeah, the payload bay I have is indeed 13 x 30. This is my current rocket:
1566849335678.png

And if you're wondering why this rocket is similar to the rocket I posted earlier on this forum, it's because this rocket is based on that rocket - the last time I succeeded on moon and back, 100% reusable with stock was a long time ago, so I don't remember the design. The rocket I chose to base this rocket on worked already because of it's payload bay, so I just ran with this one.

Right now, it can go to the moon and soft land, recovering the 1st stage, and go about halfway back (on the way back, I can "push" the apoapsis about halfway between the earth and the moon). Probably the problem is that the 2nd stage is too heavy....

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I've been mulling this over and i don't see why the payload area is so huge, if you can't utilise even 25% of it? It just looks like an aerodynamical embuggerance and a huge waste of space.

Anyway.

Due to the severe lack of building area to play with, a maximum amount of thrust available and not having 1.35 to test out the actual amount space I need, I've gone very conservative with the payload weights.

Screenshot_2019-09-05-20-00-42.png

Follow these weights and you'll get 12t to the moon and back.

Stage one and two finish inside the atmosphere, so they'll not need de-orbiting before landing. The third will get you there and back