Help about Orbital Slingshot

AstroThis

«★» Dronid «★» // PT
Registered
Hi !
Last week I read a thread named : "The Orbital slingshot" made by someone who has a SE in profile picture ! The problem is that I understand how much that technique is cool and economic but, I didn't understand how it works and so on. I tried but I can't because that's in english and that's to much to read for me, in english.
My question is : Can someone explain me the Orbital slingshot in french plz ?

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
You're in luck. The resident astronavigational expert Altaïr (and the guy that wrote said article) occasionally speaks french and might be able to help you.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Hi !
Last week I read a thread named : "The Orbital slingshot" made by someone who has a SE in profile picture ! The problem is that I understand how much that technique is cool and economic but, I didn't understand how it works and so on. I tried but I can't because that's in english and that's to much to read for me, in english.
You're lucky that the author is french :p

However that's a really long text, I can't translate everything. Maybe you can try with google translate?
The reason why it works is because when you make a fly-by (of Venus for example), the planet is moving in the same time, and transfers some of its movement to the ship. The same way as a ball bounces stronger when it hits a moving truck (see the animations I made in the first post).

More generally, it's possible to chain several gravity assists to save a maximum of fuel. That's what I do to go to Mercury for example. The first step is to aim for Venus, and to make a fly-by. Then, when exiting Venus, you'll be on a transfer trajectory to Mercury the same as if you started from Venus and burnt to Mercury. This already saves fuel because you'll get a slower encounter with Mercury. Then it's possible to chain several fly-bys of Mercury, but this is harder, and the procedure I gave doesn't work anymore as the distances have evolved since 1.4.

I'll show you how to do it with Venus, just give me a moment please.
I tried to make it short to reduce your pain, but I'll explain in french if needed :)

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Ok, here is a small tutorial to use a gravity assist with Venus to go to Mercury.

First, send your ship on LEO, then aim for Venus. Here is my predicted burn:
Screenshot_20200716-203636_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

You can notice that my trajectory goes quite below Venus level at its periapsis. This is intentional, and this is important for what will follow. If you use a cheaper transfer, the gravity assist that will follow won't be powerful enough.

After I performed my burn, my trajectory is the following:
Screenshot_20200716-203852_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200716-204007_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

I planned a low fly-by above Venus. Which is important here is to pass in front of the planet. Making the fly-by on the other side would make you go higher on the contrary (which can be used in a different technique to go to Jupiter and above).

Here is my ship before the encounter:
Screenshot_20200716-204057_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
That way, Venus deflects my trajectory backwards, which is what I need here.

Once I entered Venus' SOI, I can see my exit trajectory:
Screenshot_20200716-204140_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
Voila, I'm on my way to Mercury :)
You can eventually tweak the height of your fly-by to adjust your trajectory. The periapsis of your Sun orbit should be as close to Mercury as possible (ideally, just slightly below). This is to minimize the cost of your insertion burn.

Now here comes the tedious part, I have to wait for a cheap encounter. Aim for Mercury, and wait for the game to propose you a cheap burn. Try to spend less than 50 m/s, and if possible favor a retrograde burn.
I had to spend 45 m/s for this:
Screenshot_20200716-204549_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Now I have my encounter with Mercury, I can perform my injection, and it's over:
Screenshot_20200716-204817_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200716-205025_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

I made a quick calculation, it allowed me to save around 600m/s (by taking into account the burn to get the encounter). This is quite an interesting discount compared to the 2784 m/s you need with a direct transfer. I know you're not really into numbers, but that gives you an idea about what you gain :)

Of course, you can do something similar when returning from Mercury: aim for Venus, and a new gravity assist will send you directly towards Earth.

Last advice, don't forget to make a quicksave because it's easy to mess a gravity assist at first.

Last edited:

AstroThis

«★» Dronid «★» // PT
Registered
Ok, here is a small tutorial to use a gravity assist with Venus to go to Mercury.

First, send your ship on LEO, then aim for Venus. Here is my predicted burn:
View attachment 41876

You can notice that my trajectory goes quite below Venus level at its periapsis. This is intentional, and this is important for what will follow. If you use a cheaper transfer, the gravity assist that will follow won't be powerful enough.

After I performed my burn, my trajectory is the following:
View attachment 41867 View attachment 41868

I planned a low fly-by above Venus. Which is important here is to pass in front of the planet. Making the fly-by on the other side would make you go higher on the contrary (which can be used in a different technique to go to Jupiter and above).

Here is my ship before the encounter:
View attachment 41869
That way, Venus deflects my trajectory backwards, which is what I need here.

Once I entered Venus' SOI, I can see my exit trajectory:
View attachment 41870
Voila, I'm on my way to Mercury :)
You can eventually tweak the height of your fly-by to adjust your trajectory. The periapsis of your Sun orbit should be as close to Mercury as possible (ideally, just slightly below). This is to minimize the cost of your insertion burn.

Now here comes the tedious part, I have to wait for a cheap encounter. Aim for Mercury, and wait for the game to propose you a cheap burn. Try to spend less than 50 m/s, and if possible favor a retrograde burn.
I had to spend 45 m/s for this:
View attachment 41873

Now I have my encounter with Mercury, I can perform my injection, and it's over:
View attachment 41874 View attachment 41875

I made a quick calculation, it allowed me to save around 600m/s (by taking into account the burn to get the encounter). This is quite an interesting discount compared to the 2784 m/s you need with a direct transfer. I know you're not really into numbers, but that gives you an idea about what you gain :)

Of course, you can do something similar when returning from Mercury: aim for Venus, and a new gravity assist will send you directly towards Earth.

Last advice, don't forget to make a quicksave because it's easy to mess a gravity assist at first.
Thanks !
I'm really tired this evening, bad days in my life.
I'll re-read this with a better attention tomorrow to be sure I understand all the informations !

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
No problem, feel free to ask :)