how to edit terrain

zTallsRobot

ET phone home
Man on the Moon
Registered
can someone teach me how to edit terrain please?
and how do i do custom asteroid terrain?
I would appreciate that because idk how to edit terrain

James Brown

Thinker/INTJ/investigator/Natural Science lover
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
"the first parameter ("Perlin" here) is the terrain profile that will be applied. Perlin is basically some random bumps and hills. The third parameter is the height: the hills will be at most 125 meters high (from the reference level) with this formula.

The second parameter is the length over which the terrain will be streched. Perlin defines a pattern, and it will be streched over 53249.99 meters here. If the planet's circumference is greater than this, the same pattern will be repeated over and over, until the planet is fully mapped.

Generally, this parameter is not chosen randomly: to ensure that the pattern is repeated an integer number of times, it's equal to the planet circumference divided by an integer.

For example, that formula is for Mars, whose radius is 169500 meters. 53249.99 is actually equal to 169500 × 2 × Pi / 20. Which means the "Perlin" pattern will be repeated 20 times over the whole circumference of Mars.

Choosing that parameter that way ensures that the first point and the last point are at the same height, so that there is no terrain discontinuity at the starting/ending point."
By Altaïr

Last edited: