I did my first docking in LEO

DMG_AMP

ET phone home
Floater
Man on the Moon
Registered
I know this is probably pretty lame and tame but I have always struggle with docking and I felt like posting my achievement =)
Screenshot_2021-12-20-01-43-49-938_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Well, congratulations on your first docking!

Don't worry, we all struggled to do it the first time, we know it's not an easy task. But once you understood how it works it becomes easier. :)

DMG_AMP

ET phone home
Floater
Man on the Moon
Registered
Well, congratulations on your first docking!

Don't worry, we all struggled to do it the first time, we know it's not an easy task. But once you understood how it works it becomes easier. :)
Very true! I have always struggled with this, especially the rendezvous aspect. But once you do it once you can do it consistently easily!

Marmilo

Retired Staff / Scale Inspector
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
Nice, docking is a skill that will come in reaaaally useful during more complicated missions. The first time i managed to dock was a kind of milestone, marking the point where i started getting good at the game. Of course it took a while to optimize, tho it might be easier with the new system (idk i dock with old school method anyway, so it doesnt make a difference to me lol.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I remember the first time I NEARLY managed to dock. I did everything well, but the ports didn't want to stick. As I was raging, I finally understood that one of the ports was mounted upside down. Epic moment :D

Marmilo

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
I remember the first time I NEARLY managed to dock. I did everything well, but the ports didn't want to stick. As I was raging, I finally understood that one of the ports was mounted upside down. Epic moment :D
Wow, I can't imagine you raging lmao. Or making that mistake.

The epic chicken

Grim Reaper
Asteroid Contest Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
My first docking was only a few months ago (despite playing the game since late 2017-early 2018), I ended up going in circles around my target for 30 minutes straight till i got slow and close enough to dock

DMG_AMP

ET phone home
Floater
Man on the Moon
Registered
My first docking was only a few months ago (despite playing the game since late 2017-early 2018), I ended up going in circles around my target for 30 minutes straight till i got slow and close enough to dock
Same case here... I've been playing for a long time (From version 1.2) and could land on every moon and planet, yet I couldn't dock in LEO! How silly :>

Marmilo

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
Yeah, i think i started playing when there was just one section in the part menu (idk how called), then had a break for quite a while cos my parents took my tablet. Then I returned a bit after 1.4.06 release.Took a few months of playing to dock (i couldn't adjust orbits properly back then, it was quite random lol)

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I haven't heard that thing happened on ya :p

Marmilo

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
nice job, it's a real big achievement you should post for team hawk or whatever team it is
Docking in itself isn't part of any team mission, but isthe main challenge of the space station (aka floater) quest.

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
My first SFS docking wasn't that epic because back then the docking ports were paid expansion, and I was base game. So I had done several orbital rendezvous by the time I got the expansions and the dockong ports. In KSP, however, it was much more epic.

I had everything ready to dock, it was only a matter of using the RCS and bringing those porta together, but when I started pressing directions, the spacecraft started to do everything except what I wanted it to do. :p
I thought my game was broken I started to freak out...

And what was happening was that I didn't know I had to rotate the camera and align it with the spacecraft's perspective. I had the camera relative to the planet, so when I pressed "left", trying to go the craft go to the left because that's where the docking port was from my perspective, the spacecraft wanted to go "right and down", because that's where "left" was from its perspective. :p

Certified 'Bruh' Moment.

James Brown

Thinker/INTJ/investigator/Natural Science lover
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
First of all, congratulations of successfully docked in LEO
Then, I want to talk about the time when I first tried docking:
When I first try docking, that time was… more than three years ago?(I don't rmb cuz it's a long time ago), but anyway, that's not the point. So back to my process:
When stef first added docking port to the game. That time I thought: Yay! Finally SFS is a game that is comparable with Space agency! So I entered the game and only found out that docking port is in the expansion pack!
Later, stef finally added a smol docking port to the game. That time I can't wait to try it, so I build an ordinary rocket with the docking port attached to the top. After several process of separation and launching, I finally get to control it(Ofc I did bring RCS with me cuz I know docking needs RCS). When I saw the RCS control buttons I thought: Well it is just like Space Agency easy! But I soon found out that the button works differently than Space agency's one! If you have played Space Agency before you'll know that if you control the rocket(you can say module) with RCS, the rocket will rotate, move in the direction based on the initial orientation of the rocket, well you may not understand what I said cuz my description skill is quite worse so I can only describe to you in a limited way. If you really don't understand what I said let me give you an example: In Space Agency let's say you have a rocket with a docking port pointing upside in it's initial orientation then if the docking port points in the opposite direction and you want to click the arrow pointing at the top in the RCS control panel how will the rocket move? It will move downward as I said: the rocket will move based on the initial orientation of the rocket. But SFS works differently, the rocket will move based on the current orientation of the rocket. So the rocket I mentioned above will move upward no matter what direction it is pointing.
After a while I finally found out the difference, I proceed the mission only to find out I struggled with targeting the rocket that I want to dock because of the orbital problem after I found out. I rmb Stef made a tutorial about that before so I watched it. When I watched Stef's tutorial I finally understand how to dock! Only to found out that the docking port is not that attractive!
Everyone has different ability, some will master docking in a short time, some will master it a very long time. How I mastered docking is just an example, with all that tutorial doesn't mean you can master it, that's all;)

Marmilo

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
I have honestly answer actually I play this game since it is 2019 and the version is 1.4
My point is, someone is happy cause they achieved an important milestone in sfs skill progression, and you say "thats easy"

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Maybe try I can try my best to test the else
Alright then. Only because you asked for it.

Challenge:
Design a spaceplane shuttle that can deliver a 25 tons payload (any payload, just has to weight 25 tons) to a surface base on Ganymede (Base must weight at least 30 tons and have at least 5 different buildings), pickup another 25 tons payload from the base, and deliver it to another base on Mercury (same requirements than the Ganymede base). Then shuttle must go back to Earth and land safely at any point of the planet.

Rules:
  • Refueling, aerobrake, orbital assembly, launchpad assembly, docking and reconfiguration are allowed at all points of the flight.
  • Aesthetic bp editing and part clipping are allowed too. What's not allowed is to modify the stats of any part using bp editing.
  • Ion engines are not allowed.
  • Cheats are obviously not allowed.
  • The shuttle, payload, and base must take no damage.